      From: Bill and Sue-On Hillman <hillmans@...>
      To: erbzine@...
      Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:35 AM
      Subject: [barsoom] ERBzine Notes: Internet Publications vs. Print Publications

      BATTLE OF THE FORMATS
      Internet Publications vs. Print Publications
      If one has room, there is room for both print and electronic publications. I have the storage/display space and have many thousands of books, mags, photos
      AND discs, tapes, CDs, DVDs, and docs/data stored on hard drives and servers.

      I have an undisputed love of all things print, but have also have had years of vainly tracking down rare items in increasingly fewer book/record stores. . . and of manually keying in data base material to catalog it all. . . and paying mounting taxes for two residence libraries, fire/flood/theft insurance, heating,
      will/legacy-planning, dehumidying costs to guarantee the safety and longevity of my collections.

      There are many advantages of creating, collecting and storing digital material - as most libraries and repositories are discovering.
      A digital publication is not faced with the horrific costs demanded by publishers, printers, editors, advertisers and distributors. A hard copy has a few months to make a splash before it is relegated to the remainder, discount and flea market bins.

      Some of the other advantages of digital format include:
      * Instant publishing
      * No postal or printing costs and delays
      * Easier to reach a much larger and dispersed market
      * Fewer set-up costs and the whole world of POD, e-text, Kindle, etc. has much more appeal in this regard
      * The publication may be constantly revised as errors, omissions, and new data are found.
      * It costs no more to produce photos, graphs, pages, etc. in colour than in black & white
      * Images may be released on pages in low resolution, faster-loading thumbnails which may be clicked to much higher res if a more detailed image is required.
      * World-wide distribution - and language translators are becoming increasingly more effective
      * Easier now to adapt and tailor material to the increasingly fractured media markets
      * Material may be easily shared with friends, families, other collectors. . . and the world
      * Much of the world's population now have their ears/eyes glued to smart phones and pads. This is how they want to read material now - whether commuting on the move or in leisure or in business settings -- Like it or not, this is the direction that the modern world is moving
      * Entire libraries and countless docs and photos may be stored on a digital drive the size of an old pocketbook.
      * Many urban apartment dwellers just do not have the space to store mountains of print material
      * Saved material is easily backed up in a multitude of places and formats.
      * For those wanting a hard copy it is easy to print out pages in colour and/or b/w.
      * Print devotees may compile and bind their own books after printing out relevant material - sans advertising - and put these personalized editions on their bookshelves
      * Print is easily enlarged for those with failing vision
      * The interaction made possible by social media allows people to share their photos, text, letters, favourite books/music, etc.
      * Global searches of text, images, docs, music, spoken word, videos, etc. are now possible and very easy to do with instant results
      * Research is now possible from a home office negating the need to physically visit libraries and campuses to crawl through dusty library stacks hoping to find sources

      These are a few thoughts off the top of my head . . . much more may be added to this list by anyone who gives more time and serious thought to it.

      No one has to convince me of the joy perusing library shelves, finding rare volumes, flipping the pages, and the musty smell of old books and mags.
      There are many advantages in embracing both print and digital. Embracing both worlds can only add to the thrill of the chase -- and to the proliferation of knowledge.

      Bill Hillman
      http://www.hillmanweb.com/
      http://www.erbzine.com/