Surplus equipment

  • kaloalex
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 5, 2006
      For pumps, switches and motors, I like these folks:

      http://www.surpluscenter.com/

      The prices are right, they ship promptly and they have all sorts of
      neat stuff.

      - K
    • Travis
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
        --- In barrelponics@yahoogroups.com, "kaloalex" <kaloalex@...> wrote:

        > For pumps, switches and motors, I like these folks:
        >
        > http://www.surpluscenter.com/
        >
        > The prices are right, they ship promptly and they have all sorts of
        > neat stuff.
        >
        > - K

        The link to surpluscenter is also in the liks section.
        Trav.
      • kaloalex
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
          I just ordered a barrel from these folks last night. With shipping to
          Sacramento, the 55gal tight-head barrel cost less than $40. If and
          when the merchandise arrives, I'll report back.

          http://stores.ebay.com/The-Barrel-Company_W0QQsspagenameZdomainQQtZkm

          - K
        • Travis
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
            --- In barrelponics@yahoogroups.com, "kaloalex" <kaloalex@...> wrote:

            > I just ordered a barrel from these folks last night. With shipping to
            > Sacramento, the 55gal tight-head barrel cost less than $40. If and
            > when the merchandise arrives, I'll report back.
            >
            > http://stores.ebay.com/The-Barrel-Company_W0QQsspagenameZdomainQQtZkm
            >
            > - K

            Thanks for the info.
            Don't forget about the freebies out there. I get barrels from a local
            car wash and they are happy to get rid of them. There are lots of
            juice operations up in the NW as well as some food manufacturing
            operations I'm sure. The first bunch of barrels I got was from a guy
            who hauled them off from a company called Con Agra. They are the ones
            who make a lot of the frozen foods like TV dinners and such. He
            charged me about $7.00 per barrel. They had previously had things
            like soy sauce, wine and vinegar in them. I had my dad bring them to
            me and paid his fuel bill to come visit the grandkids. Cost me less
            than $10.00/barrel. A win win all around. Look around and and ask
            lots of people. There is usually someone around who knows someone
            who...... You get the idea, the key is networking.

            Trav.
          • Greg and April
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
              Why not go to your local Pepsi / Coke bottling center, and see if they have
              any surplus syrup barrels - might set you back all of 30 min and $10.

              Granted you would probably need to rinse it out, but, you would still be
              ready to start cutting it up and building your system, before the shipped
              barrel even arrives.

              Greg H.

              >I just ordered a barrel from these folks last night. With shipping to
              > Sacramento, the 55gal tight-head barrel cost less than $40. If and
              > when the merchandise arrives, I'll report back.
              >
              > http://stores.ebay.com/The-Barrel-Company_W0QQsspagenameZdomainQQtZkm
              >
              > - K
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Garth & Kim Travis
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                Greetings,
                How do you find our where these places are?
                Bright Blessings,
                Kim

                At 01:18 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:
                >Why not go to your local Pepsi / Coke bottling center, and see if they have
                >any surplus syrup barrels - might set you back all of 30 min and $10.
                >
                >Granted you would probably need to rinse it out, but, you would still be
                >ready to start cutting it up and building your system, before the shipped
                >barrel even arrives.
                >
                >Greg H.

              • Greg and April
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Phone book.

                  If your near a major metro area, check there first, as that is where they
                  will send out the trucks from to load all the soda machines and convence
                  stores.

                  BTW, how have things been going?

                  Greg H.

                  > How do you find our where these places are?
                  > Bright Blessings,
                  > Kim
                  >

                  > At 01:18 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:
                  >>Why not go to your local Pepsi / Coke bottling center, and see if they
                  >>have
                  >>any surplus syrup barrels - might set you back all of 30 min and $10.
                  >>
                  >>Granted you would probably need to rinse it out, but, you would still be
                  >>ready to start cutting it up and building your system, before the shipped
                  >>barrel even arrives.
                  >>
                  >>Greg H.

                • kaloalex
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Yeah, I tried that. They said they only special order them, then use
                    them till they fall apart. Further, they had no idea where I could
                    find the failed barrels or who I might check with. It seemed like a
                    slam dunk when I walked in the door, but they were worse than useless.

                    - K

                    --- In barrelponics@yahoogroups.com, "Greg and April"
                    <gregandapril@...> wrote:

                    > Why not go to your local Pepsi / Coke bottling center, and see if
                    they have
                    > any surplus syrup barrels - might set you back all of 30 min and $10.
                    >
                    > Granted you would probably need to rinse it out, but, you would
                    still be
                    > ready to start cutting it up and building your system, before the
                    shipped
                    > barrel even arrives.
                    >
                    > Greg H.

                  • Greg and April
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                      That is weird.

                      I could get just about all I can haul away, should I want them all.

                      Some times the person to talk to is the dock manager since in many places
                      they are the ones responsible for making sure the "old" stuff is removed.

                      I do call ahead when I'm looking for some, and they set a few aside, for
                      pickup, but, I dare not say I'm coming to get them and not show up - that's
                      the fastest way I know to lose a source.

                      Greg H.

                      > Yeah, I tried that. They said they only special order them, then use
                      > them till they fall apart. Further, they had no idea where I could
                      > find the failed barrels or who I might check with. It seemed like a
                      > slam dunk when I walked in the door, but they were worse than useless.
                      >
                      > - K
                      >

                      > --- In barrelponics@yahoogroups.com, "Greg and April"
                      > <gregandapril@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Why not go to your local Pepsi / Coke bottling center, and see if
                      > they have
                      >> any surplus syrup barrels - might set you back all of 30 min and $10.
                      >>
                      >> Granted you would probably need to rinse it out, but, you would
                      > still be
                      >> ready to start cutting it up and building your system, before the
                      > shipped
                      >> barrel even arrives.
                      >>
                      >> Greg H.

                    • Merwin Abbott
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                        I'm in Arkansas .. and several places offer them for sale. Building
                        supply places sometimes offer them .. usually used for trash cans
                        etc. .. also feed and seed farm supply places sometimes offer
                        them. Another place you might look is a small town water treatment
                        plant .. they use non-toxic chemicals which are added to the water to
                        help with the purification process. I'd still wash them out real
                        good since the stuff would be in concentrated form. Water treatment
                        plants might just give them to you .. if they have too many around ..
                        make friends with the plant manager.

                        Happy hunting,
                        ---Merwin.
                      • kaloalex
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                          That does sound about right. Maybe I'll try to call over first and
                          talk to somebody in the warehouse. Walking in the lobby certainly
                          didn't help me out at all.

                          <gregandapril@...> wrote:

                          > That is weird.
                          >
                          > I could get just about all I can haul away, should I want them all.
                          >
                          > Some times the person to talk to is the dock manager since in many
                          places
                          > they are the ones responsible for making sure the "old" stuff is
                          removed.

                          > I do call ahead when I'm looking for some, and they set a few aside,
                          for
                          > pickup, but, I dare not say I'm coming to get them and not show up -
                          that's
                          > the fastest way I know to lose a source.
                          >
                          > Greg H.
                        • Garth & Kim Travis
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                            Greetings,
                            Life is insane, but at least I am never bored. Less than a year to
                            go until Garth will be giving his notice and staying home on the farm
                            with me. We have become more of a conservancy farm, with most of our
                            animals on the endangered species list. Gulf Coast sheep, Irish
                            Dexter Cattle, Naragansette Turkeys and Brahma chickens. Some time
                            in the next year we would like to add pastured pigs, either red
                            wattles or tamworths. I am leaning towards the red wattles as they
                            are native to Texas and can probably handle our climate better. I
                            put in an orchard last winter and about 3000 sq. ft. of raised garden
                            beds in the process of being installed. I found my 6'x8' greenhouse
                            to be way too small, so I hope to put a 12'x70' one down the side of
                            my barn. I bought a 1000 gal poly tank that will eventually be
                            aquaponics, but for now it is a splashing pond for when I get
                            overheated from working in the heat. I need to learn a whole bunch
                            more than I now know before I buy enough fish for that size
                            tank. And if I didn't have enough work, I am in the process of
                            re-fencing the entire place. Our neighbor decided he likes wolf
                            crosses, which have no fear of my coyote. Now I have to dog proof
                            the place or suffer more losses. I lost both my ram lambs about 10
                            days ago and his dogs injured all my sheep and cattle. I have about
                            2000 feet of the new fence in with 3000 left to do. Needless to say
                            we have no time to play with alternative fuel or any of the fun
                            stuff, but it is coming. The tough part is getting the place built.

                            How is life treating you these days?

                            Bright Blessings,
                            Kim

                            At 02:54 PM 9/6/2006, you wrote:
                            >Phone book.
                            >
                            >If your near a major metro area, check there first, as that is where they
                            >will send out the trucks from to load all the soda machines and convence
                            >stores.
                            >
                            >BTW, how have things been going?
                            >
                            >Greg H.

                          • Greg and April
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                              Good to hear that things are moving along, but, sorry to hear that your
                              neighbor is causing some issues - I know how that goes.

                              Late last spring ( after 2 - 2 1/2 yrs ), my rabbits finally figured out
                              what it was that they were supposed to be doing , and I finally am starting
                              to sell a few. I have 10 young does and a buck that will be starting
                              their business along here in the next month or so, and I just received a
                              roll of 200 sq ft of wire today, to make the floors of a 6x8 Tri-level hutch
                              idea that I have had bouncing around in the back of my head.

                              I have had to put my aquaponic plans on hold for a while, since the fish I
                              was trying to get died enroute last spring, but, I manages to find my self a
                              real bargain of a pick-up truck. $1 was what it cost me for the ownership
                              papers, and I was told to have it out of the driveway by the next day. So
                              I bought a new battery, and with a little prompting, got it started and
                              drove it home that afternoon, and it's been running fine ever since - even
                              picked up three more plastic 55 gal barrels with it two weeks ago.

                              The wife has seen how well I have done with the rabbits, and so it's
                              probably just as well as the aquaponic stuff didn't pan out this year, as
                              she has decided that I have shown enough effort, to justify, looking for
                              land outside of town, and breaking down aquatic systems to move, is a royal
                              PITA ( personal experience from moving vivariums and tropical fish ).

                              I plan to put in a green house, because the growing season is so short. I
                              will probably build one that is dug into the ground to take advantage of
                              geothermal heat ( even if it is low grade ), and put the aquaponic system in
                              there, to help with the temperature stabilization. I might even see about
                              a ground source heat pump, to keep everything at a decent temp - saw a web
                              page, about a guy that uses his, to grow citrus in Nebraska, and I can say
                              that the idea of raising warm water fish and citrus in the dead of winter is
                              really appealing.

                              Greg H.

                              > Life is insane, but at least I am never bored. Less than a year to
                              > go until Garth will be giving his notice and staying home on the farm
                              > with me. We have become more of a conservancy farm, with most of our
                              > animals on the endangered species list. Gulf Coast sheep, Irish
                              > Dexter Cattle, Naragansette Turkeys and Brahma chickens. Some time
                              > in the next year we would like to add pastured pigs, either red
                              > wattles or tamworths. I am leaning towards the red wattles as they
                              > are native to Texas and can probably handle our climate better. I
                              > put in an orchard last winter and about 3000 sq. ft. of raised garden
                              > beds in the process of being installed. I found my 6'x8' greenhouse
                              > to be way too small, so I hope to put a 12'x70' one down the side of
                              > my barn. I bought a 1000 gal poly tank that will eventually be
                              > aquaponics, but for now it is a splashing pond for when I get
                              > overheated from working in the heat. I need to learn a whole bunch
                              > more than I now know before I buy enough fish for that size
                              > tank. And if I didn't have enough work, I am in the process of
                              > re-fencing the entire place. Our neighbor decided he likes wolf
                              > crosses, which have no fear of my coyote. Now I have to dog proof
                              > the place or suffer more losses. I lost both my ram lambs about 10
                              > days ago and his dogs injured all my sheep and cattle. I have about
                              > 2000 feet of the new fence in with 3000 left to do. Needless to say
                              > we have no time to play with alternative fuel or any of the fun
                              > stuff, but it is coming. The tough part is getting the place built.
                              >
                              > How is life treating you these days?
                              >
                              > Bright Blessings,
                              > Kim

                            • Travis
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 6, 2006
                                --- In barrelponics@yahoogroups.com, Merwin Abbott
                                <peacefulmeadows@...> wrote:

                                > I'm in Arkansas .. and several places offer them for sale. Building
                                > supply places sometimes offer them .. usually used for trash cans
                                > etc. .. also feed and seed farm supply places sometimes offer
                                > them. Another place you might look is a small town water treatment
                                > plant .. they use non-toxic chemicals which are added to the water to
                                > help with the purification process. I'd still wash them out real
                                > good since the stuff would be in concentrated form. Water treatment
                                > plants might just give them to you .. if they have too many around ..
                                > make friends with the plant manager.
                                >
                                > Happy hunting,
                                > ---Merwin.

                                One problem I had was with barrels from a water treatment plant. I
                                had some barrels with a floculant in them and called the manufacturing
                                company to find out if the product was safe to rinse out. They had a
                                truck come out and pick up the barrels I had and replaced them with
                                new ones at no charge to me. Seems the floculant would cause a
                                problem with fish if it got into the local ground water. Really try
                                to get barrels that had food products in them if you can. Some
                                chemicals can be dealt with but please read the MSDS on the products
                                that used to be in these barrels to be safe.
                                Trav.
                              • Greg and April
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  That was absolutely decent of them.

                                  Greg H.

                                  > One problem I had was with barrels from a water treatment plant. I
                                  > had some barrels with a floculant in them and called the manufacturing
                                  > company to find out if the product was safe to rinse out. They had a
                                  > truck come out and pick up the barrels I had and replaced them with
                                  > new ones at no charge to me. Seems the floculant would cause a
                                  > problem with fish if it got into the local ground water. Really try
                                  > to get barrels that had food products in them if you can. Some
                                  > chemicals can be dealt with but please read the MSDS on the products
                                  > that used to be in these barrels to be safe.
                                  > Trav.

                                • Travis Hughey
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 7, 2006
                                    I thought so too. Not all large companies are bad as
                                    some would lead one to believe. One thing I have found
                                    to be true.... It never hurts to ask.

                                    Trav.

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com