Aquaponics greenhouse under construction

  • Allen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      Alcon,

      Attached is a drawing & several pics of the 12' x 24' greenhouse I'm in the process of constructing. I've
      modified the plan slightly from what's shown in the sketch.

      The latest design has only (2) 275 gallon fish tanks instead of 4; and has (18) 2' x 3' grow-beds. The
      aquaponics grow-beds will be along either side approx 54" above ground, with sub-irrigated, self-watering,
      conventional raised-beds directly below the aquaponics grow-beds. I'm hoping the bubble-wrap & polyethylene
      glazing will sufficiently diffuse the sunlight for the lower raised-bed veggies to thrive without the need
      for artificial light.

      I'm working to get the framework finished & glazing installed before mid to late November in order to get
      winter veggies started in the lower conventional raised-beds. After that, I'll work on the fish tanks &
      upper grow-beds. Hopefully, I'll get the aquaponics infrastructure completed & water-filled in time to
      monitor temps inside the greenhouse & tanks thru the coldest parts of winter. After determining how well
      the system can maintain minimum temps thru winter with only passive solar, I'll acquire fish & plant the
      aquaponics grow-beds in the spring.

      If anyone wants to stop by & chat, compare notes, give / receive advice, etc, you're more than welcome.
      I'll be unavailable Nov 9-15, but other than that, I'll be here most evenings & weekends. Best to call 1st:
      (417) 886-0066.

      There seems to be at least a few of us in the area interested in aquaponics. I've taken the liberty of
      including below some of the correspondence in order to promote mutual collaboration, etc.

      Later,

      Allen

      From: Travis <barrelponics@...>
      To: "jerry diamond" <dmnds2001@...>
      Date: Friday, October 22, 2010, 7:41 AM

      Hey Jerry,
      I am contacting you off-list. What do you want to do? Do you have any other specifics? I will be
      traveling abroad during the month of Nov. but would be interested in possibly doing something late
      winter/early spring.

      Trav.

      --- In barrelponics@yahoogroups.com, jerry diamond <dmnds2001@...>wrote:

      Allen, Travis,

      We have a greenhouse with a 6 foot by 5 foot by 15 foot in ground tank in Cedar County. Maybe we could ask
      if Travis could come and help us both set them up? Travis, do you travel as far as Missouri? LOL It is a bit
      closer than the Philippines, isn't it?

      Seriously, what would it take to make that happen?

      jerry