Help Identifying a bug

  • kalluminati2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
      I am growing corn indoors and this green bug was hidden between the leaves of my plant. I did not see any evidence of harm, but decided to get rid of him anyway. Can anyone identify the bug, the picture isn't as clear as I thought it would be but you can see it below.

    • Christopher Stapler
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
        June BUG?

        >>> "kalluminati2001" <brettvsop@...> 7/1/2010 10:36 AM >>>

        I am growing corn indoors and this green bug was hidden between the leaves of my plant. I did not see any evidence of harm, but decided to get rid of him anyway. Can anyone identify the bug, the picture isn't as clear as I thought it would be but you can see it below.

      • Allen Sylvester
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
          The picture is not clear enough to tell, but if it has a triangle behind
          the head where the wing covers meet, it is probably a stink bug. It is
          a plant sap-sucking pest.
          Allen

          kalluminati2001 wrote:
          > I am growing corn indoors and this green bug was hidden between the leaves of my plant. I did not see any evidence of harm, but decided to get rid of him anyway. Can anyone identify the bug, the picture isn't as clear as I thought it would be but you can see it below.

        • Brian Hoyt
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
            can you get a little closer and in focus? It's a bit hard to tell as it is.

            To: barrelponics@yahoogroups.com
            From: brettvsop@...
            Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 15:36:07 +0000
            Subject: [barrelponics] Help Identifying a bug

            I am growing corn indoors and this green bug was hidden between the leaves of my plant. I did not see any evidence of harm, but decided to get rid of him anyway. Can anyone identify the bug, the picture isn't as clear as I thought it would be but you can see it below.

          • Yaacov Levi
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
              I donot know of any green bug that is beneficial to corn.

              If you are growing in a greenhouse you should look into buying ladybugs and praying mantis to keep your plants clean. Just google 'biological controls'.

              Yaacov

              We are all in this together.

            • pantryman@empireone.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
                Lacewings???

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Another good one, the two I named are good for aphids and the bigger baddies, lots of good guys to get, google biological controls, we have lots of beasties on our side, absolutely no need to use chemicals that will kill us, or our unborn along with the bad beasties, we have a veritable army of allys available.

                  Yaacov

                  We are all in this together.

                  Lacewings???

                  Quoting Yaacov Levi <jlevi_us@...>:

                  > I donot know of any green bug that is beneficial to corn.
                  >
                  > If you are growing in a greenhouse you should look into buying
                  > ladybugs and praying mantis to keep your plants clean. Just google
                  > 'biological controls'.
                  >
                  > Yaacov
                  >
                  > We are all in this together.
                  >

                  > I am growing corn indoors and this green bug was hidden between the
                  > leaves of my plant. I did not see any evidence of harm, but decided
                  > to get rid of him anyway. Can anyone identify the bug, the picture
                  > isn't as clear as I thought it would be but you can see it below.

                • Merwin Abbott
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
                    The picture isn't very clear .. but it looks like a Japanese beetle
                    ?? A better pic would help.

                    ---Merwin.

                    At 06:16 PM 7/1/2010, Yaacov Levi wrote:
                    >Another good one, the two I named are good for aphids and the bigger
                    >baddies, lots of good guys to get, google biological controls, we
                    >have lots of beasties on our side, absolutely no need to use
                    >chemicals that will kill us, or our unborn along with the bad
                    >beasties, we have a veritable army of allys available.
                    >
                    >Yaacov
                    >
                    >We are all in this together.
                    >

                    >Lacewings???
                    >
                    >Quoting Yaacov Levi
                    ><<http://us.mc330.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=jlevi_us%40yahoo.com>jlevi_us@...>:
                    >
                    > > I donot know of any green bug that is beneficial to corn.
                    > >
                    > > If you are growing in a greenhouse you should look into buying
                    > > ladybugs and praying mantis to keep your plants clean. Just google
                    > > 'biological controls'.
                    > >
                    > > Yaacov
                    > >
                    > > We are all in this together.
                    > >

                    > > I am growing corn indoors and this green bug was hidden between the
                    > > leaves of my plant. I did not see any evidence of harm, but decided
                    > > to get rid of him anyway. Can anyone identify the bug, the picture
                    > > isn't as clear as I thought it would be but you can see it below.

                    "It's not the few minutes we spend talking .. but the many hours we
                    spend thinking about what was said."

                  • kalluminati2001
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
                      I already got rid of the bug, plus the only camera I have is my phone which is limited.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
                        Thanks guys. Next time I will borrow a camera to take the picture, I mistakenly thought the bug was distinctive enough so that even a low quality image would give it away.
                      • Michael Goins
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
                          I'll second the stink bug comment. Lots of them here. Also the comment about
                          the lady bugs and preying mantises. When inside like that they will tend to
                          stay and the benefits are solid.

                          Michael Goins
                          Professor, Writing
                          University of Texas at San Antonio