Starkhaven?Al Sahid event

  • conordecarlton25
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
      HEY ALL, I think we may want to look into this, it sounds fun!

      Conrad Breakring, Baron of Starkhafn

      EVENT COPY FOLLOWS
      ----------------------
      Duchesses, Countesses, Vicountesses and Landed Baronesses ….

      Do you have a peer that always (of course politely) says that her
      vassals
      are stronger than your vassals, that her retainers are more talented
      than
      your retainers, that her warriors are more skillful than your
      warriors, that
      her friends and allies are just downright more numerous? Don't you
      just
      WISH sometimes that you didn't have such a proper upbringing and
      weren't
      bound by courtly manners, so that you could show her the error of her
      ways?
      Well, now's your chance. Assemble a team of your people to compete
      in a
      competition of "all things", and put her in her place once and for
      all time.
      All with the proper amount of decorum and dignity as befits one of
      your
      station.

      Hosted by the Shire of Al-Sahid and the Barony of Starkhafn, the
      Althing
      will be held on November 22-23, in the Shire of Al-Sahid.

      Althing is both a series of prize contests and a two-day team
      competition. The individual contests are in varied areas (listed
      below) and each contest will take place during the day on Saturday.
      Winners of the individual prize contests receive a prize to take home.
      In order to participate in the individual prize contests one must
      sign up to
      participate under the banner of one of the team Leaders. The prizes
      from
      the individual competitions are kept by the winners, but the points
      for
      winning go to the team leader.

      In order to be a team leader, one must:

      1 - be a Lady of the Rose or Landed Baroness

      2 - have or make a banner appropriate for display upon a heavy weapons
      battlefield (a personal banner not a group or baronial banner)

      3 - let us know you desire to be a team leader by the end
      of October.

      Teams can be whatever size the team leader wishes
      and are comprised of any participants who will participate in at least
      one prize contest on Saturday. If individual Ladies of the Rose and
      Landed
      Baronesses wish to form aggregate teams, that is allowed (and
      encouraged),
      though an overall team leader must be named. Team leaders are
      allowed (and
      encouraged) to participate in the contests personally.

      Throughout the day on Saturday the various contests will take place,
      with individual champions named throughout the day as each contest is
      won. For each individual prize contest won a single point will be
      awarded to the team of which the winner is part. It is worthwhile
      noting
      that there are several children's contests as well which count
      towards the
      final point total.

      At the end of Saturday's contests the two teams with the most points
      will be named the finalists and all other teams will be dissolved.

      The final winning team will be determined by a best two out of three
      battle on Sunday morning. In order to participate in the final
      battles, each
      fighter must have
      participated in at least one non-heavy weapons fighting contest on
      Saturday for *ANY* team.

      The idea is, after dissolving the non-finalist teams on Saturday, all
      heavy weapons fighters who were in any contest become free agents. The
      rest of the evening, right up to the call of "lay on" Sunday, each of
      these free agents may be recruited by either of the final teams. They
      may be recruited through their ex-team leader or they may be
      approached individually. Free agents may use whatever criteria they
      wish to
      determine which team they will fight for.

      After the close of the final battle Sunday, the winning team will be
      announced and the Grand Prize, a sword made by Master Atar, will be
      awarded personally to the team leader. While there will be some
      additional
      smaller prizes, they all go personally to the team leader; it is
      left up to the winning noble hlafdige (great lady) to provide (or not
      provide)
      largesse to those who fought or competed for her as she sees fit.

      A list of contests follows:
      Bardic competition
      Speed inkle weaving
      Drop Spindle
      Heavy weapons tourney
      Fighter Looting
      Scavenger Tunic Making
      Potato bag toss
      Cooking
      Static Arts (creation made off site)
      Archery
      Children's Boffers
      Dagger Fighting
      Axe/spear Throwing
      Best Garb
      Persona
      Tug of War
      Children's Heraldry
      Dancing
      Wagering
      Nine-man Morris
      Hunker-Housen
      Best Period Encampment

      Rules for each of the competitions will be posted on the webpage and
      are
      available from the autocrats.

      The site is Mojave Narrows Regional Park 18000 Yates Rd. Victorville,
      CA
      92392 (Highland War site) Take you best route to I –15 towards
      Victorville.
      Take Bear Valley exit and turn east (if you are coming from the south
      turn
      right, coming from the north turn left) Follow bear Valley Road for
      about 5
      miles, then turn left on Ridgecrest road. Follow road until you see
      the park
      on the left. Turn on Yates and you're here.

      For the weekend is $10.00 for members and $13.00 for non-members.
      Children
      12 and under are free, children 13-17 are $5.00 for the weekend. Day
      fees
      are $5.00 for members and $8.00 for non-members.

      For more information or to talk to the Stewards please contact or see
      www.al-sahid.org/althing

      Baroness THL Isidora Ell'eva (Tracy Sain) 309 Fuchia Circle, Las
      Vegas, NV
      89107 (702) 464-3155 before 9p.m breakring@... or

      Lady Teka Turmanov (Tammy Anderson) 17688 Juniper Street, Hesperia,
      CA 92345
      (760) 956-3217 kiltel@...

      QUESTIONS:

      Q: MAY TEAM LEADERS ALSO COMPETE IN THE PRIZE CONTESTS?
      A: Yes. Please.

      Q: DOES A TEAM LEADER NEED TO BE ON SITE FOR THE ENTIRE EVENT?
      A: No. But she does need to be on site for the finals battles on
      Sunday.

      Q: HOW LARGE MAY A TEAM BE?
      A: As large as the team leader likes and can manage. Other than a
      few of
      the events, like Tug of War, which require a set number of
      participants, all
      contests may have as many participants from as many (or as few) teams
      as
      they wish. Indeed, part of the idea is for great ladies to use the
      regard
      and standing they have to field teams as large as they would like. A
      large
      team is impressive in its own right, gaining honor to the team leader
      who
      was able to summon adherents to her banner.

      Q: MUST A MEMBER OF ALL TEAMS PARTICIPATE IN ALL CONTESTS?
      A: No. Teams may enter a member in as many or as few contests as
      the
      individual members and leader like.

      CONTEST RULES

      Bardic competition: Participants make a presentation which can be,
      but is
      not limited to singing, instrumental or storytelling.

      Speed inkle weaving: Participants are provided with yarn/string and
      are
      given 1 hour to complete a length of inkle woven material.
      Participants are
      encouraged to bring their own looms, but we will try to have extras
      available. End product will be judged on size and quality.

      Drop Spindle:

      Fighter Looting: Done in conjunction with the dagger fighting
      tourney.
      Participants may work singly or in teams. The idea is to make a
      theatrical
      "scene" upon the in-tourney death of a fighter (with which the scene
      has
      been at least loosely pre-arranged). Looting is not necessarily to
      only way
      to do this. Speed, style and audience interest will all be judged.

      Scavenger Tunic Making: Participants will be given a named piece of
      garb
      they must construct, made entirely from materials found on site.
      Materials
      (not including thread and sewing equipment) may be obtained from
      anyone
      *except* members of one's own team. Trading is encouraged so long as
      it is
      not pre-arranged before arrival on site.

      Potato bag toss: Also known as Irish Provisioning. Participants
      must throw
      a potato bag for distance.

      Cooking: Period or "periodesque" meal. May be prepared partially
      off site,
      but judging preference is given to those meals prepared more on
      site. Make
      enough for 6 people.

      Static Arts (creation made off site): Any period arts and sciences
      static
      creation, so long as it has never been entered into a contest before.

      Archery

      Children's Boffers

      Dagger Fighting: An Arts and Sciences contest.

      Axe/spear Throwing: Done Castle Kirk style. Throwing weapons to be
      provided.

      Best Garb: Judged on historicity and aesthetics.

      Persona: Participants engage in a dialogue with the judges wherein
      their
      knowledge of their persona and their persona's internal consistency
      are
      tested. Slip up and you are out and the group continues without you
      until
      only one "champion persona" remains.

      Tug of War: Five man team; size and gender notwithstanding.

      Children's Heraldry: A test of heraldry knowledge for children 17
      and
      under. Winner will be judged on their knowledge relative to their
      age (a 17
      year old will be expected to know more than a 6 year old).

      Dancing: Participants dance various period dances. Both skill and
      knowledge will be tested.

      Wagering: Team leaders will be presented a handful of "coins" upon
      arriving
      on site. They are encouraged to wager with other team leaders on the
      outcome of contests or anything else that takes their fancy. Coins
      may also
      be gained through barter, negotiations or any other means. Winner is
      the
      one who has most coins at the close of the day on Saturday.

      Nine-man Morris

      Hunker-Housen: One person tug of war, on pedestals.

      Best Period Encampment: Encampments will be judged on historicity
      and
      aesthetics.
    • inverness7
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
        --- In baronyofnordwache@yahoogroups.com, "conordecarlton25"
        <conordecarlton25@y...> wrote:

        > HEY ALL, I think we may want to look into this, it sounds fun!

        I have been trying to get people interested and almost gave up. I am
        going for sure, but just figured I wouldn't have enough for a team,
        so I would hire out as a merc. If people want to go, I think it
        would be exceedingly cool. I also think it would be cool to use some
        of these contests for our next anniversary.

        Baroness Alexandra
      • wellingham
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
          When is this thing. This is my first knowlege of it.

        • inverness7
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
            --- In baronyofnordwache@yahoogroups.com, wellingham <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > When is this thing. This is my first knowlege of it.

            It's Nov 21-23 in Victorville. The Oct CP has event copy, or you can
            go to their site at <www.al-sahid.org/althing> It sounds like
            there's going to be some good bust-a$$ fighting. The Ladies of the
            Rose and landed baronesses are supposed to lead teams. If I can get
            a few people to come that would be great; if not, I will join another
            team. Although teams can be as big or small as you like.

            Question, Cedric. The Guy helms don't need chin straps, do they? It
            just seems like the cheek plates hold the helmet on pretty well. I
            will be in town on Saturday and will bring The Greeks by your place.

            In Service,

            Baroness Alexandra
          • conordecarlton25
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
              I just found out that is the week end that THL's Phillip and Rebecca
              will be up for a silk banner workshop.

              , wellingham <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > When is this thing. This is my first knowlege of it.

              > It's Nov 21-23 in Victorville. The Oct CP has event copy, or you
              can
              > go to their site at <www.al-sahid.org/althing> It sounds like
              > there's going to be some good bust-a$$ fighting. The Ladies of the
              > Rose and landed baronesses are supposed to lead teams. If I can
              get
              > a few people to come that would be great; if not, I will join
              another
              > team. Although teams can be as big or small as you like.
              >
              > Question, Cedric. The Guy helms don't need chin straps, do they?
              It
              > just seems like the cheek plates hold the helmet on pretty well. I
              > will be in town on Saturday and will bring The Greeks by your place.
              >
              > In Service,
              >
              > Baroness Alexandra
            • Rue Louise Amore
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
                <conordecarlton25@y...> wrote:
                > I just found out that is the week end that THL's Phillip and
                Rebecca
                > will be up for a silk banner workshop.

                Is there any information on the Banner workshop, like where and how
                much?
              • Alexa
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2003
                  I would love to know the same thing. Aidan will be
                  home by then. whoohoo!!!!
                  I loved the last one I did. Are these the big ones or
                  little ones? info please!!!!

                  hugs,
                  Alexa

                  --- Rue Louise Amore <rue_l_amore@...> wrote:
                  > --- In baronyofnordwache@yahoogroups.com,
                  > "conordecarlton25"
                  > <conordecarlton25@y...> wrote:
                  > > I just found out that is the week end that THL's
                  > Phillip and
                  > Rebecca
                  > > will be up for a silk banner workshop.
                  > >
                  > Is there any information on the Banner workshop,
                  > like where and how
                  > much?

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • comptessecaroline
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 7, 2003
                    Rebecca's Mom is back in the hospital for heart problems. Would
                    anyone have a problem postponing the workshop until January (still in
                    time for Estrella)? With the deadlines needed to produce the silk
                    banners well before the workshop happens, I thought that this might
                    be a nice gesture in addition to having them in our thoughts and
                    prayers. Please let me (or our new A & S person) know.
                    Caroline

                    --- In baronyofnordwache@yahoogroups.com, "Rue Louise Amore"
                    <rue_l_amore@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In baronyofnordwache@yahoogroups.com, "conordecarlton25"
                    > <conordecarlton25@y...> wrote:
                    > > I just found out that is the week end that THL's Phillip and
                    > Rebecca
                    > > will be up for a silk banner workshop.
                    > >
                    > Is there any information on the Banner workshop, like where and how
                    > much?
                  • Alexa
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 7, 2003
                      That sounds like a good idea. I am all for it.

                      Alexa

                      --- comptessecaroline <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                      wrote:
                      > Rebecca's Mom is back in the hospital for heart
                      > problems. Would
                      > anyone have a problem postponing the workshop until
                      > January (still in
                      > time for Estrella)? With the deadlines needed to
                      > produce the silk
                      > banners well before the workshop happens, I thought
                      > that this might
                      > be a nice gesture in addition to having them in our
                      > thoughts and
                      > prayers. Please let me (or our new A & S person)
                      > know.
                      > Caroline

                      http://shopping.yahoo.com
                    • wellingham
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 7, 2003
                        Family, nothing is as important. I say, let the class go.