Performing for free- another viewpoint

  • akousen@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2010
      There are times in the life of a quartet where it needs the audience feedback as part of it's own development on musicianship and performance. It's a win win for all; I amassiming the quartet is worthy of public performance

      Alan kousen
      Alex Harmonizers

      Sent from my iPhone
      Alan k
    • joe08867
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
        I agree with this totally. I would not expect people to pay for a performance that does not warrant it.

        Best way to look at this is to ask yourself. Would you pay to see a quartet like your own? Or is there a benefit to doing the freebie now to get the paid gig/s later?

        Joseph DiPaola,
        Asst. Section Leader, VP of Marketing and PR for:
        The Hunterdon Harmonizers
        Lead for Chordhouse Steps
        Tenor for Plead the 5th

        --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, "akousen@..." <akousen@...> wrote:

        > There are times in the life of a quartet where it needs the audience feedback as part of it's own development on musicianship and performance. It's a win win for all; I amassiming the quartet is worthy of public performance
        >
        > Alan kousen
        > Alex Harmonizers
        >

        > Sent from my iPhone
        > Alan k

      • John Rentz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
          Two good points.

          1) So...  perhaps a fee schedule that runs parallel to a contest score? Say, a quartet scoring from:
          55-65 = $200/half hr gig
          65-75 = $400/half hour gig
          75-80 = $700/half hour gig
          80-85 = $1000/half hour gig
          96+ = $1500/half hour gig

          I don't know... what do you think?

          2) Ah yes, the freebie to get paid gigs later. I've heard this claimed MANY times. But I'm not sure I've heard that it's actually worked much. Experience anyone?

          I agree with this totally. I would not expect people to pay for a performance that does not warrant it.

          Best way to look at this is to ask yourself. Would you pay to see a quartet like your own? Or is there a benefit to doing the freebie now to get the paid gig/s later?

          Joseph DiPaola,
          Asst. Section Leader, VP of Marketing and PR for:
          The Hunterdon Harmonizers
          Lead for Chordhouse Steps
          Tenor for Plead the 5th

          --- In barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com, "akousen@... " <akousen@... > wrote:

          > There are times in the life of a quartet where it needs the audience feedback as part of it's own development on musicianship and performance. It's a win win for all; I amassiming the quartet is worthy of public performance
          >
          > Alan kousen
          > Alex Harmonizers
          >

          > Sent from my iPhone
          > Alan k

        • joe08867
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
            The Freebie for future gigs has worked a couple times for us.
            We have done a couple gigs for fellow guarteters church and gotten a couple gigs from it. I think it depends on the venue. We haven't gotten anything for stuff we have done at Memorial Ceremonies but church groups have paid off.

            Joseph DiPaola,

            --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, John Rentz <jg62bbshop@...> wrote:

            > Two good points.
            >
            > 1) So... perhaps a fee schedule that runs parallel to a contest score? Say, a quartet scoring from:
            > 55-65 = $200/half hr gig
            > 65-75 = $400/half hour gig
            > 75-80 = $700/half hour gig
            > 80-85 = $1000/half hour gig
            > 96+ = $1500/half hour gig
            >
            > I don't know... what do you think?
            >
            > 2) Ah yes, the freebie to get paid gigs later. I've heard this claimed MANY times. But I'm not sure I've heard that it's actually worked much. Experience anyone?
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Phil Beaver
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
              Previous comments have been great. Maybe everyone is taking it for granted,
              but to me, a quartet should consider first entertaining the customer.

              I liked the schedule John published--with price increasing with contest
              scores--as a guide within the society. But what about customers who cannot
              discern the associated quality differences or doesn't benefit from the
              society's latest score influences? (Admitting heresy.)

              What about the customer whose only local quartet scores above 80? Must that
              customer pay transportation for a quartet that scores 55?

              Is it possible that society membership is low, in part, because there has
              been too little focus on entertaining customers as opposed to competing
              within the society?

              I want to participate so that people in my area who want barbershop harmony
              can schedule and receive good singing, expecting them to reasonably pay for
              the value they received; people appreciate the good they pay for.
            • Alan Kousen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 27, 2010
                Its a bench mark of quality and using the competition as a ranking with an impact on how a qtet charges for its services. It should be one of several tools; many qtets avoid competing.

                What message is made when so many qtet scores fall  below 60? Could be the quality of the singers is NOT very high.  Can the Society make a difference?  Perhaps our audience does not really care if so n' so came in 1st place in a contest when entertaining at an anniversary party?

                Alan K