Re: [barbershopquartet] Quartet Matchup sites/discussion

  • Alan Kousen
    Message 1 of 17 , May 9, 2009
      Hi all

      There is a distinct difference between the sites mentioned. The Yahoo group provides discussion threads, the other is strictly a registry. In my view, as a quartetter, there is a need for both to exist. What is unfortunate, is that most barbershopers are not aware these sites exist.

      When did you attend a convention or a barbershopping event where they were mentioned? What support has there been from the BHS? Has the Society promoted the websites in a newsletter to the PROBE editors or chapter secretaries?  Do you see the websites in the BHS "Harmonizer"?

      My point is only that the BHS needs to support quartets in many ways, and these websites are just one way to do it.

      I wonder if these sites are advertised or mentioned at HU?

      Alan

      Message 2 of 17 , May 9, 2009
        As the creator of this group, my intent was first and foremost to make it a central location where people could find other people wanting to quartet. I believe that is what the other site does also. It's no competition. I could care less if there is this group or that group or both. Personally, I have been talked to about rolling this thing into the BHS site as a central site for quartetters. I'd love that.

        As far as "most barbershoppers" not being aware.... that's through no lack of effort. I emailed every chapter in my district, their president and music/quartet person. I also emailed every district (Pres./Music/Quartet Dev. guy) with an announcement as well as every district newsletter that I could find.

        I got very little response. What can you do? And then, unfortunately, we get other people wanting the same thing and then creating THEIR own sites so that we have five or ten sites out there to do this kind of thing that, essentially, most people aren't aware of.

        It's sad, really. If there was one site tied into the main BHS site, that would be the place to go.

        John Rentz

        --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, Alan Kousen <akousen@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > There is a distinct difference between the sites mentioned. The Yahoo group provides discussion threads, the other is strictly a registry. In my view, as a quartetter, there is a need for both to exist. What is unfortunate, is that most barbershopers are not aware these sites exist.
        >
        > When did you attend a convention or a barbershopping event where they were mentioned? What support has there been from the BHS? Has the Society promoted the websites in a newsletter to the PROBE editors or chapter secretaries?  Do you see the websites in the BHS "Harmonizer"?
        >
        > My point is only that the BHS needs to support quartets in many ways, and these websites are just one way to do it.
        >
        > I wonder if these sites are advertised or mentioned at HU?
        >
        > Alan

      • Brett Auttonberry
        Message 3 of 17 , May 9, 2009

          John,

          I agree whole-heartedly with you.  I know that I, for one, spread the word of this Yahoo! Group to my chorus (I'm their Director) and to guys at HU I quaretted with over ice cream (lots and lots of ice cream), in the woodsheddin' venue and other places that week.  We ALL need to do our part to get guys quartetting.

          As far as the BHS is concerned, sometimes I worry that, if it isn't their idea, they don't move full force on it.  I truly hope I'm wrong about that.  This and every site that offers this service is only a way to reach our true goal: getting men singing together!

          Yours in HARMONY,

          Brett Auttonberry

          Cool link: http://www.myspace.com/louisianashowboatchorus

          To: barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com
          From: jg62bbshop@...
          Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 00:22:57 +0000
          Subject: [barbershopquartet] Re: Quartet Matchup sites/discussion

        • LSDIVERGAL@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , May 9, 2009
            erm....and women!! No matter the part, the age, the association...singing in a quartet makes better singing chorus members!!

            Yours EQUALLY as harmoniously...(big grin)
            Melinda Miller
            Bass
            Proud 25 year (oh my how did that happen) member of SAI and
            Lone Star Chorus
            Fort Worth, TX

            To: barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com
            From: jg62bbshop@yahoo. com
            Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 00:22:57 +0000

            Message 5 of 17 , May 9, 2009
              Wonderful discussion!  Consider this... there are quartets, and there are quartets that sing well and are a complement to our singing hobby.

              I have been embarassed more than just a few times when I hear 4 gents in a public place belting out a terrible sound, totally oblivious of the needed Harmony and artistry.

              Public performances should expect a benchmark good singing.  Singing in a good quartet  have members which understand the work, the creativity, the accuracy that goes into each and every time they sing.

              YES, GOOD quartet singing generally means the members will be good chorus members. BUT conversely, not all chorus members UNDERSTAND the difference between chorus singing and quartet singing.

              One other thought.... Not all BHS members want to be chorus members. They may be too far away, or some other reason. This yahoo group and the quartet registry are important to locating and finding quartet members, especially if the local talent pool is not sufficient. .

              In Harmony,
              Alan

              From: jg62bbshop@yahoo. com
              Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 00:22:57 +0000

              As the creator of this group, my intent was first and foremost to make it a central location where people could find other people wanting to quartet. I believe that is what the other site does also. It's no competition. I could care less if there is this group or that group or both. Personally, I have been talked to about rolling this thing into the BHS site as a central site for quartetters. I'd love that.

              As far as "most barbershoppers" not being aware.... that's through no lack of effort. I emailed every chapter in my district, their president and music/quartet person. I also emailed every district (Pres./Music/ Quartet Dev. guy) with an announcement as well as every district newsletter that I could find.

              I got very little response. What can you do? And then, unfortunately, we get other people wanting the same thing and then creating THEIR own sites so that we have five or ten sites out there to do this kind of thing that, essentially, most people aren't aware of.

              It's sad, really. If there was one site tied into the main BHS site, that would be the place to go.

              John Rentz

              --- In barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com, Alan Kousen <akousen@... > wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > There is a distinct difference between the sites mentioned. The Yahoo group provides discussion threads, the other is strictly a registry. In my view, as a quartetter, there is a need for both to exist. What is unfortunate, is that most barbershopers are not aware these sites exist.
              >
              > When did you attend a convention or a barbershopping event where they were mentioned? What support has there been from the BHS? Has the Society promoted the websites in a newsletter to the PROBE editors or chapter secretaries?  Do you see the websites in the BHS "Harmonizer" ?
              >
              > My point is only that the BHS needs to support quartets in many ways, and these websites are just one way to do it.
              >
              > I wonder if these sites are advertised or mentioned at HU?
              >
              > Alan

            • jenniferlwinston
              Message 6 of 17 , May 10, 2009
                I'd just like to chime in here on the topic of this group and women.

                Personally, I found, or rather was found by a fantastic Harmony Inc. quartet using this yahoo group. I am truly grateful for this group's existence and probably wouldn't have found it if it were attached to the BHS site. I think this group is one small step towards more integration/cooperation between male and female barbershoppers which is a good thing for all of us!

                in Harmony,

                Jen Winston
                Lead, Coastline Show Chorus (SAI)
                Teno, Escapade quartet (HI)

                --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, LSDIVERGAL@... wrote:

                > erm....and women!! No matter the part, the age, the association...singing
                > in a quartet makes better singing chorus members!!
                >
                > Yours EQUALLY as harmoniously...(big grin)
                > Melinda Miller
                > Bass
                > Proud 25 year (oh my how did that happen) member of SAI and
                > Lone Star Chorus
                > Fort Worth, TX

              • Donna Taylor
                Message 7 of 17 , May 10, 2009
                  HI all,

                  As a female barbershopper in the UK, I really enjoy seeing all the posts here asking for quartets/specific parts (I would love to find a quartet too, but there doesn't appear to be many UK based people on here). I'm not sure if I'd be able to use the BHS site.

                  Donna
                • ewheadley@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 10, 2009
                    Gosh darn it !  I just knew there were like-minded Barbershoppers out there !   I agree with everything that has been going on with this discussion over the past few days(I just checked my email and haven't been able to chime in until just now).

                    ALL OF YOUR STATEMENTS I AGREE WITH WHOLEHEARTEDLY  !!

                    If you want to hear my tales of woe trying to do this very same thing within the NED, just email me at :   ewheadley@...

                    I tried to get the appropriate officials within NED to start a bulletin board on the NED website for this very purpose and the idea was 'pooh-pooh' -ed in so many ways it wasn't funny......youknow, it just won't work, Ed, the only way you'll get into a quartet is to 'keep rubbing elbows'.   As well, I have written emails to appropraite individuals at National HQ about this......I got all the emails to prove it.

                    Just glad somebody has go ththe ball rolling and I just REGISTERED myself on this website :    quartetmatchup.com

                    Please talk to me, folks !  I'd appreciate your feedback......I thought I was the only one out there(certainly within NED) who had the idea of a bulletin-board for guys trying to form a new quartet, fill in a missing part for an existing quartet, etc.   HALLELUJAH !  PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMO !

                    Finally, contact has been made with like-minded folks !
                    Best Regards,

                    Ed Headley
                    Bass
                    Portland Downeasters Barbershop Chorus (K-015)
                    Edward W. Headley
                    P.O. Box 10631
                    Portland, Maine 04104-6031
                    (207) 773-9766 (phone)
                    (207) 773-4981 (fax)

                    From: jg62bbshop@yahoo. com
                    Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 00:22:57 +0000

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 10, 2009
                      I got the same kind of replies and I just thought... hey, if I want to do it, why do I need the approval from all the people that say no??

                      I decided there wasn't any reason not to just do it on my own because I KNEW there were people out there that wanted this also.

                      I chose the Yahoo group route because it was easy and free. And once it got going, I just decided to put up links and files and so on to just be whatever help it could be.

                      It bugs me that there are other groups doing this not because "they took my idea" or anything like that. It just means that we have a splintered effort going on and it really should be concentrated through one central area that anyone can access.

                      I scanned and scanned and scanned for any other resource out there like this and I couldn't find it. Otherwise, I'd have just promoted that one.

                      I guess it's not a perfect world and all we can do is try to network with all that we come across.

                      John

                      --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, ewheadley@... wrote:

                      > Gosh darn it !  I just knew there were like-minded Barbershoppers out there !   I agree with everything that has been going on with this discussion over the past few days(I just checked my email and haven't been able to chime in until just now).
                      >
                      > ALL OF YOUR STATEMENTS I AGREE WITH WHOLEHEARTEDLY  !!
                      >
                      > If you want to hear my tales of woe trying to do this very same thing within the NED, just email me at :   ewheadley@...
                      >
                      > I tried to get the appropriate officials within NED to start a bulletin board on the NED website for this very purpose and the idea was 'pooh-pooh' -ed in so many ways it wasn't funny......youknow, it just won't work, Ed, the only way you'll get into a quartet is to 'keep rubbing elbows'.   As well, I have written emails to appropraite individuals at
                      > National HQ about this......I got all the emails to prove it.
                      >
                      > Just glad somebody has go ththe ball rolling and I just REGISTERED myself on this website :    quartetmatchup.com
                      >
                      > Please talk to me, folks !  I'd appreciate your feedback......I thought I was the only one out there(certainly within NED) who had the idea of a bulletin-board for guys trying to form a new quartet, fill in a missing part for an existing quartet, etc.   HALLELUJAH !  PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMO !
                      >
                      > Finally, contact has been made with like-minded folks !
                      > Best Regards,
                      >
                      > Ed Headley
                      > Bass
                      > Portland Downeasters Barbershop Chorus (K-015)
                      > Edward W. Headley
                      >
                      > P.O. Box 10631
                      >
                      > Portland, Maine 04104-6031
                      >
                      > (207) 773-9766 (phone)
                      >
                      > (207) 773-4981 (fax)
                    • Stancil, Chris
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 11, 2009
                        I did send in something to try and get it mentioned in the Harmonizer but never saw anything published.

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 11, 2009
                          First, let me state that I am huge supporter of HQ, the staff, and all they do. I rarely, RARELY disparage them in any way.

                          It would seem that they will not advertise someone's personal web site or blog or whatever unless it's a sanctioned kind of thing. (Or... unless they know you real well. Which, actually, I do know most of the staff pretty well.)

                          And I understand why. I mean, you can't have HQ promoting and endorsing something that they really don't have any control over. I'm sure you can picture advertisements at HU, at International, and in the Harmonizer and then some scandal breaks out about something. And then you have fall out from that. So... I understand.

                          And, I understand why the society hasn't done it yet themselves. That would take a concerted effort by someone to set up and maintain. That takes time and money. So, I understand that also. But, it just seems like this is one of the most basic services we should provide.

                          John

                          --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, "Stancil, Chris" <chris.stancil@...> wrote:

                          > I did send in something to try and get it mentioned in the Harmonizer but never saw anything published.
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • Stancil, Chris
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 11, 2009
                            Well John you just killed this thread with a logical perspective. ;P
                            Thanks
                            Chris

                            ____________ _________ _________ __
                            href="mailto:barbershopquartet%40yahoogroups.com">barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Alan Kousen

                            To: barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com

                            href="mailto:BQPA%40googlegroups.com">BQPA@googlegroups. com>, barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com

                            Date: Saturday, May 9, 2009, 9:26 AM

                            message in the BQPA forum (http://

                            href="http://launch.">http://launch. groups.yahoo. com/group/ barbershopquarte t/<http://launch. groups.yahoo. com/group/ barbershopquarte t/>

                            > with exactly the same purpose.
                            >
                            > I'd suggest that the
                            two sites promote and cooperate with each other.

                            Harmoniously,

                            > Derek
                            >
                            > Visit my arrangements web
                            site at:
                            > http://www.HatleyMu
                            sic.com<http://www.hatleymu sic.com/>

                            > Derek Hatley, Arranger & Music Librarian
                            > Great Lakes
                            Chorus

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 11, 2009
                              Thus, the logic is to have the capability of these two websites remain annonymous, and no one at the HQ staff mentioning for fear of some future cataclysmic event.... I don't subscribe to this logic.

                              As long as these sites perform a valuable service to the greater BBS experience, both men and women, there is no harm. Its all out in the open. The "cost" to operate is minimal, since Yahoo.com generously donates it's webspace for this Quartet site.

                              Its about time the HQ becomes a member of the connected world. I am hoping that the Brigade movement might do something like these- however that has not yet happened. Perhaps they could promote these sites at thier annual gatherings?  I know that Charlie Rose has enthisastically embraced doing something like these.

                              Alan in NC

                              Anyone in a Brigade want to chime in?

                              Well John you just killed this thread with a logical perspective. ;P
                              Thanks
                              Chris

                              First, let me state that I am huge supporter of HQ, the staff, and all they do. I rarely, RARELY disparage them in any way.

                              It would seem that they will not advertise someone's personal web site or blog or whatever unless it's a sanctioned kind of thing. (Or... unless they know you real well. Which, actually, I do know most of the staff pretty well.)

                              And I understand why. I mean, you can't have HQ promoting and endorsing something that they really don't have any control over. I'm sure you can picture advertisements at HU, at International, and in the Harmonizer and then some scandal breaks out about something. And then you have fall out from that. So... I understand.

                              And, I understand why the society hasn't done it yet themselves. That would take a concerted effort by someone to set up and maintain. That takes time and money. So, I understand that also. But, it just seems like this is one of the most basic services we should provide.

                              John

                              --- In barbershopquartet@ yahoogroups. com, "Stancil, Chris" <chris.stancil@ ...> wrote:

                              > I did send in something to try and get it mentioned in the Harmonizer but never saw anything published.
                              >
                              > ____________ _________ _________ __

                            • Derek Hatley
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 12, 2009
                                John and all,

                                There are thousands of organizations that publish letters,
                                statements, opinions etc. from outsiders. They cover their liability
                                by simply adding a disclaimer that the statements are those of the
                                contributors not of the organizations. BHS could do this. Why not?

                                Derek

                                > Re: Quartet Matchup sites/discussion
                                >
                                > Posted by: "John" jg62bbshop@... jg62bbshop
                                > Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 am (PDT)
                                >

                                > First, let me state that I am huge supporter of HQ, the staff, and
                                > all they do. I rarely, RARELY disparage them in any way.
                                >
                                > It would seem that they will not advertise someone's personal web
                                > site or blog or whatever unless it's a sanctioned kind of thing.
                                > (Or... unless they know you real well. Which, actually, I do know
                                > most of the staff pretty well.)
                                >
                                > And I understand why. I mean, you can't have HQ promoting and
                                > endorsing something that they really don't have any control over.
                                > I'm sure you can picture advertisements at HU, at International,
                                > and in the Harmonizer and then some scandal breaks out about
                                > something. And then you have fall out from that. So... I understand.
                                >
                                > And, I understand why the society hasn't done it yet themselves.
                                > That would take a concerted effort by someone to set up and
                                > maintain. That takes time and money. So, I understand that also.
                                > But, it just seems like this is one of the most basic services we
                                > should provide.
                                >
                                > John
                              • Leaderman
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 12, 2009
                                  I have no problem with the Society putting links to other sites that are
                                  related to what they are about. However, it seems to me that we are
                                  looking to them to do for us what we should be doing for ourselves. It
                                  really isn't their job to publicize all the different groups that are
                                  starting up (and stopping). By posting occasional reminders on the
                                  Harmonet itself, groups like this will get much more visibility than
                                  through the Society.

                                  I realize that some things are being pushed by them such as the Extreme
                                  Quartetting, but that was only after it had taken off and was so
                                  successful running on its own. Many festivals throughout the US are not
                                  publicized by the Society unless the organizers of those festivals take
                                  out the advertising (read spend the bucks) needed to publicize it.

                                  Bottom line is that we are our own best publicity machine. Fire it up!

                                  --
                                  Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

                                  John Elving
                                  VP Mus. & Perf.
                                  Editor-in-Cheap, First Place 2008 Online Bulletin
                                  Shrine of Democracy Chorus
                                  2007 & 2008 BOTY
                                  RMD CDD VP
                                  PROBE VP- Bulletin Editors
                                  Outstanding In Front - Certified Trainer
                                  Certified Standing Ovation Trainer & Reviewer
                                  Rapid City, SD
                                  Email: leaderman@...

                                  Derek Hatley wrote:
                                  > John and all,
                                  >
                                  > There are thousands of organizations that publish letters,
                                  > statements, opinions etc. from outsiders. They cover their liability
                                  > by simply adding a disclaimer that the statements are those of the
                                  > contributors not of the organizations. BHS could do this. Why not?
                                  >
                                  > Derek
                                  >

                                  >> Re: Quartet Matchup sites/discussion
                                  >>
                                  >> Posted by: "John" jg62bbshop@... jg62bbshop
                                  >> Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 am (PDT)
                                  >>

                                  >> First, let me state that I am huge supporter of HQ, the staff, and
                                  >> all they do. I rarely, RARELY disparage them in any way.
                                  >>
                                  >> It would seem that they will not advertise someone's personal web
                                  >> site or blog or whatever unless it's a sanctioned kind of thing.
                                  >> (Or... unless they know you real well. Which, actually, I do know
                                  >> most of the staff pretty well.)
                                  >>
                                  >> And I understand why. I mean, you can't have HQ promoting and
                                  >> endorsing something that they really don't have any control over.
                                  >> I'm sure you can picture advertisements at HU, at International,
                                  >> and in the Harmonizer and then some scandal breaks out about
                                  >> something. And then you have fall out from that. So... I understand.
                                  >>
                                  >> And, I understand why the society hasn't done it yet themselves.
                                  >> That would take a concerted effort by someone to set up and
                                  >> maintain. That takes time and money. So, I understand that also.
                                  >> But, it just seems like this is one of the most basic services we
                                  >> should provide.
                                  >>
                                  >> John

                                • rolland laver
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 12, 2009
                                    I think that you have it exactly right. We can't depend on the Society for everything! They can't keep track of everything, and besides, I like the informal, relaxed feeling I get reading the posts in this group without the BHS hype. But, then again, that's just my  opinion.

                                    Rolland Laver

                                    Email: leaderman@earthlink .net

                                    href="mailto:jg62bbshop%40yahoo.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:jg62bbshop%40yahoo.com">jg62bbshop@yahoo. com jg62bbshop
                                    >> Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 am (PDT)
                                    >>

                                    >> First, let me state that I am huge supporter of HQ, the staff, and
                                    >> all they do. I rarely, RARELY disparage them in any way.
                                    >>
                                    >> It would seem that they will not advertise someone's personal web
                                    >> site or blog or whatever unless it's a sanctioned kind of thing.
                                    >> (Or... unless they know you real well. Which, actually, I do know
                                    >> most of the staff pretty well.)
                                    >>
                                    >> And I understand why. I mean, you can't have HQ promoting and
                                    >> endorsing something that they really don't have any control over.
                                    >> I'm sure you can picture advertisements at HU, at International,
                                    >> and in the Harmonizer and then some scandal breaks
                                    out about
                                    >> something. And then you have fall out from that. So... I understand.
                                    >>
                                    >> And, I understand why the society hasn't done it yet themselves.
                                    >> That would take a concerted effort by someone to set up and
                                    >> maintain. That takes time and money. So, I understand that also.
                                    >> But, it just seems like this is one of the most basic services we
                                    >> should provide.
                                    >>
                                    >> John

                                  • Bill Ward
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 13, 2009
                                      This entire "group" thing I obviously and erroneously thought was to be a place to find others who were interested in being in a quartet, or locating a particular part-singer for a quartet, etc. Now it is becoming just another "harmonet" where quartet people can air their ideas and chat about all sorts of mailbox cluttering things that have nothing whatever to do with the original purpose. It is obvious that there are quartet people "out there" who need a place to share their thoughts about the "Society" and all sorts of other topics, and I applaud all those who have much to say about everything. That was not the original plan, and I can get all of those topics run over and over and over again, just as they have been from the beginning of these "harmonet-style" groups. How quickly we devolve into repetitious topics that have been hashed and re-hashed elsewhere.
                                      No quartet person worth his or her part should ever join in the ax-grinding agony of the poor disenfranchised and disillusioned members of the "Society" or the erstwhile "BQPA" for they never spoke up when they had the opportunity to do so. When they could have stopped what they are complaining about now, they didn't. Why, you ask? - Simple: They were too busy singing and doing what they did best to get involved is such political gobbledygook. And that is what this group should be doing, too. More singing and less yack! Singing is where it is at, and BHS or BQPA are merely tools we can choose to use or not, depending on whether or not they serve the greater purpose of singing.

                                      Enuff of my yack. All the best to all of you, and I am out of here.

                                      Derek Hatley wrote:
                                      > John and all,
                                      >
                                      > There are thousands of organizations that publish letters,
                                      > statements, opinions etc. from outsiders. They cover their liability
                                      > by simply adding a disclaimer that the statements are those of the
                                      > contributors not of the organizations. BHS could do this. Why not?
                                      >
                                      > Derek
                                      >

                                      >> Re: Quartet Matchup sites/discussion
                                      >>
                                      >> Posted by: "John" jg62bbshop@yahoo. com jg62bbshop
                                      >> Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 am (PDT)
                                      >>

                                      >> First, let me state that I am huge supporter of HQ, the staff, and
                                      >> all they do. I rarely, RARELY disparage them in any way.
                                      >>
                                      >> It would seem that they will not advertise someone's personal web
                                      >> site or blog or whatever unless it's a sanctioned kind of thing.
                                      >> (Or... unless they know you real well. Which, actually, I do know
                                      >> most of the staff pretty well.)
                                      >>
                                      >> And I understand why. I mean, you can't have HQ promoting and
                                      >> endorsing something that they really don't have any control over.
                                      >> I'm sure you can picture advertisements at HU, at International,
                                      >> and in the Harmonizer and then some scandal breaks out about
                                      >> something. And then you have fall out from that. So... I understand.
                                      >>
                                      >> And, I understand why the society hasn't done it yet themselves.
                                      >> That would take a concerted effort by someone to set up and
                                      >> maintain. That takes time and money. So, I understand that also.
                                      >> But, it just seems like this is one of the most basic services we
                                      >> should provide.
                                      >>
                                      >> John

                                      Thanks,

                                      Bill Ward