RE: [barbershopquartet] Singing Valentines

  • Tim Buell
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009

      My quartet deals with it this way.  We represent 3 different chapters, and generally do our Valentines in an area where two chapters have an overlap on the edges of their “territory”, and therefore will cover any valentines for either chapter that falls in that general area..  So for any valentine sold by a chapter, that chapter will get the proceeds, but if the quartet sells a valentine specifically, through our own advertising (on valentines.com) or our quartet web site, it goes into the quartet kitty.  Same goes for valentines we sell based on someone hearing us on the spot.

      Other quartets around here do it differently, with all proceeds going to the chapter, but most of those are quartets that are all within a single chapter.

      Tim Buell

      Free State 4

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2009
        Is the chapter involved in promoting and coordinating would be the key question.
        If the chapter is doing some work then they should get some money just like the little red hen.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 8, 2009
          As several replies have noted, Singing Valentines (SV's) are not an
          official BHS activity, although the Society certainly supports it
          [directly by setting up and maintaining singingvalentines.com (which
          we all hope and pray is up soon), and its database].

          In my experience, Singing Valentines are a major BHS chapter
          fundraiser. Asheville (NC) is a 64 member chapter with a budget over
          $20,000 (we donate a lot towards music education in local schools,
          music and learning CD's for 50+ active members costs a lot, as does
          having a top-notch guest quartet for our show). We need all the
          income sources we can get.

          We will probably book and deliver 125 valentines Feb. 13 and 14. We
          only have 1 registered quartet, and a few other "organized" ones, so
          we use SV's as an opportunity to give many of our members a unique,
          and valuable quartetting experience. We may send out 8 to 10
          different quartets during the 2 days (some guys maybe be in one
          quartet one day, then another the next). We start working the SV
          songs as a chorus in Dec., then form and work/coach the quartets
          through Jan.

          All go out with a driver to make it less stressful on the quartet,
          and maybe even a "5th wheel", if we have too many of one part. We use
          a "Valentine's Central" to manage the whole thing, and GPS's in most
          of the vehicles.

          All of the proceeds go to the Chapter. Everyone donates their time,
          and in the case of the drivers, most of them donate their gasoline.
          We will probably net $4000 after the expenses for promotion (print,
          radio, TV, internet), the roses, and the cards.

          What are you doing Feb 13/14?

          Yours in Harmony,

          Bob Burns
          VP of Marketing/PR