mixed bshop - question for the ladies quartets

  • Dale Steinmann
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 7, 2008

      It seems to me that the weakness in forming a Bshop quartet is generally finding a quality Tenor.

      A question for lady quarteters:  I am curious, is there a part in a ladies quartet that is difficult to cast?

      Frankly, I just want to make good music and perform.  I would be happy to harmonize with a martian if I could find one with similar goals, similar level of commitment, and who could help me ring chords!

      Harmoniously,

      Dale Steinmann

      415-507-6787

      Ops (Latin) : the Roman goddess of abundance

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 7, 2008
        It probably depends on the area.  Right now, we are awash in tenors in our chorus but low on basses and leads.  But, it's September so we've got our ads ramped up right now.  I would guess that for women, it's usually hard to find basses.  Smaller choruses would have a harder time with that as with any other part.  The IDEAL woman bass should hit a low C below middle C, but often you don't want to go too much below E flat really, depending on your section.  Our chorus regularly chooses songs that go to D flat since we've got the basses who can handle it.

        I have sung tenor in a quartet with 3 men.....we called ourselves 3 Guys and a Girl.....really original, I know.  :-)   I actually found it a bit challenging because we sang men's arrangements and I basically was trying to sing a tenor part, which should be light and floating on top mostly below my vocal break.

        Rebecca Gilbert
        Treasurer
        Durham Shores Chorus, Region 16 SAI
        Quartetter wannabe

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
          Tenors seem to be hardest to find in both the mens and women's area.
          One would think that a lady bass would be scare, but tenors are always a
          premium when forming a quartet.

          Lee
          Tenor

          ________________________________
          BHS is a male group. Maybe the same consideration should be presented
          to the SAI.
          I love the ladies, but maybe this should also could be suggested to the
          HI. We are all
          looking for more members so is there hopefully a viable solution?.

          Bill Boll

          On 9/6/08 4:07 PM, "Tim Buell" <tpbuell@...> wrote:

          No disrespect to anyone's wife, but I go to rehearsal on Tuesday to get
          away from my family for a few hours and spend it in the company of men,
          where I can let my (thinning) hair down, so to speak. Inviting the
          wives would drive me right out of here.

          Tim Buell
          Free State 4
          Heart of Maryland Chorus

          ** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the extent permitted by law and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the originator of the message and destroy all copies. **
        • Dale Steinmann
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008

            Where is UNT?

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
              A few years ago I was in a mixed quartet in Montana. We sang mostly gospel, but played around with other stuff. Most of our music came from "Good News."

              The women sang Tenor and Bari and us guys sang the other two parts. The gal that sang Bari was a Bass in the Wild Rose Harmonizers Chorus.

              The voicing worked well, for us and was a lot of fun.

              Good luck.

              Tenor Jack (I sang Bass in that quartet)

              To: barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com

              Tenors seem to be hardest to find in both the mens and women's area.
              One would think that a lady bass would be scare, but tenors are always a
              premium when forming a quartet.

              Lee
              Tenor

              >>> Dale Steinmann <dale.steinmann@ autodesk. com>
              09/07/08 8:35 PM >>>

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                Keeping them seperate but interactive.  I look forward to opportunities to interact with any other singing group.  Any chance to sing is welcome.

                Socialize and joint shows.  Win-Win

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                  University of North Texas is in Denton just north of DFW.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                    University of North Texas is in Denton, Texas. I actually work for the
                    Health Science Center which is in Ft. Worth.

                    >>> Dale Steinmann <dale.steinmann@...> 09/08/08 10:29 AM >>>
                    Where is UNT?

                    Dale Steinmann
                    415-507-6787
                    Ops (Latin) : the Roman goddess of abundance

                    Tenors seem to be hardest to find in both the mens and women's area.
                    One would think that a lady bass would be scare, but tenors are always a
                    premium when forming a quartet.

                    Lee
                    Tenor

                    >>> Dale Steinmann
                    <dale.steinmann@...<mailto:dale.steinmann%40autodesk.com>>
                    09/07/08 8:35 PM >>>

                    From:
                    barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com<mailto:barbershopquartet%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 9, 2008
                      As one third of a trio looking for a fourth, we think that quartet quality leads are scarce.
                      Being a strong chorus lead is not the same as 'leading' a quartet....

                      Teresa Block (bari/bass)
                      Lone Star Chorus

                      --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, Dale Steinmann <dale.steinmann@...>
                      wrote:

                      > It seems to me that the weakness in forming a Bshop quartet is generally finding a
                      quality Tenor.

                      > A question for lady quarteters: I am curious, is there a part in a ladies quartet that is
                      difficult to cast?

                      > Frankly, I just want to make good music and perform. I would be happy to harmonize
                      with a martian if I could find one with similar goals, similar level of commitment, and who
                      could help me ring chords!

                      > Harmoniously,
                      >
                      > Dale Steinmann
                      > 415-507-6787
                    • Rebecca Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 9, 2008
                        Heh, so perhaps the real answer for the hard part to find is "the one part
                        the three of us don't have"? :)

                        Rebecca
                        bari
                        Durham Shores Chorus