re: mixed bshop

  • B Richardson
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008
      Don't ya think if the society could expand their scope to support the mixed bshopping more it could help the membership woes as well?   They have contests for youth choirs now and college quartets, why no expand to the mixed genre.  Could even help some of the small choruses who are struggling for members.

      What do you think?

      Bruce Richardson

      Considering starting a mixed group and or inviting wives to learn one or two numbers for next year's show.

    • Leaderman
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008
        The Santa Cruz, CA chorus (not the chapter), www. scbarbershop . org/,
        is already set up that way. Women are considered "auxiliary singers" and
        are not members of the chapter or BHS. They are singing the men's
        arrangements in the men's keys, but filling in where parts are scarce.
        There may be others who are doing that, but Santa Cruz I know is.

        --
        Sing-cerely & Humm-bly,

        John Elving
        VP Mus. & Perf.
        Editor-in-Cheap, First Place 2008 Online Bulletin
        Shrine of Democracy Chorus
        2007 BOTY
        PROBE VP- Bulletin Editors
        Outstanding In Front - Certified Trainer
        Certified Standing Ovation Trainer & Reviewer
        Rapid City, SD
        Email: leaderman@...
      • Tim Buell
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008

          No disrespect to anyone’s wife, but I go to rehearsal on Tuesday to get away from my family for a few hours and spend it in the company of men, where I can let my (thinning) hair down, so to speak.  Inviting the wives would drive me right out of here.

          Tim Buell

          Free State 4

          Heart of Maryland Chorus

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008
            Re: [barbershopquartet] re: mixed bshop BHS is a male group.  Maybe the same consideration should be presented to the SAI.
            I love the ladies, but maybe this should also could be suggested to the HI.  We are all
            looking for more members so is there hopefully a viable solution?.

            Bill Boll

            On 9/6/08 4:07 PM, "Tim Buell" <tpbuell@...> wrote:

            No disrespect to anyone’s wife, but I go to rehearsal on Tuesday to get away from my family for a few hours and spend it in the company of men, where I can let my (thinning) hair down, so to speak.  Inviting the wives would drive me right out of here.

            Tim Buell
            Free State 4
            Heart of Maryland Chorus

          • Betsy Long
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008
              In the same vein, SAI and HI are organizations formed specifically for women.  If the men don't want mixed barbershop in their group, why would you think the women would?!

              I truly do like the idea of mixed barbershop -- and would love to be a part of a mixed barbershop quartet -- in addition to but not in place of my women's chorus.   So, maybe there's a way to promote the mixed barbershop without taking away from the exclusively men's and women's groups.

              Betsy Long
              Song of Atlanta Show Chorus
              Contestant #16 in Hawaii!

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008
                  I have to say that I too like to have my night out. That being said, I
                  realize that there are chapters in small towns where you need help in
                  filling in the parts. I was hired several years ago, and several towns
                  ago, to direct a chorus for a chapter in a small town. Through many
                  circumstances, the chapter had dwindled to five or six guys when I
                  started. Not one of those was a tenor, or capable of singing tenor.
                  Thank heavens for my wife. Even though she doesn't like Barbershop (I
                  don't like her bagpipes for the same reasons), she admirably filled in
                  at tenor until we recruited a tenor. I can happily say that the chapter
                  flourished and is now, still in that small town, somewhere between 45
                  and fifty members, has started another chapter some 50 miles away, and
                  has spawned a quartet champion. However, had it not been for someone of
                  another gender stepping up to the plate to complete the four-part
                  harmony needed for Barbershop, the chapter would most likely have died
                  right then and there.

                  Although I would rather sing with all guys, if I were in a situation
                  where the choice was having a mixed chorus singing Barbershop, or no
                  chorus, I would take the mixed every time. Then we could build from
                  there. And I'm not saying we should have female members of the Society.
                  However, in many of those small towns throughout America, there is
                  neither men's or women's Barbershop. It's a start to get them both
                  interested. JMHO.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 6, 2008
                    Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with mixed barbershop. There
                    are times when I have stepped up and rung a tag with as many as 3 ladies, so
                    that isn't the problem. But the note I responded to put forth the idea that
                    we could "solve" some of our recruitment problems by starting to invite
                    women into our groups. I am all for the Society "partnering" with a mixed
                    BBS society, if there is one, in the same way we "partner" with SAI and HI.

                    Maybe you are right, and in some small towns, a mixed BBS society would be a
                    better vehicle for introducing the art form. But I also believe that the
                    uniqueness of 4 male voices singing together in harmony, ringing those
                    chords, can't be topped by any other vocal music.

                    Tim Buell

                    > I have to say that I too like to have my night out. That being said, I
                    > realize that there are chapters in small towns where you need help in
                    > filling in the parts.
                  • Dale Steinmann
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 7, 2008

                      I am interested in participating in a mixed quartet.

                      Anybody in the SF Bay Area who wants to chat?

                      Dale Steinmann

                      415-507-6787

                      Ops (Latin) : the Roman goddess of abundance

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2008

                        It seems to me that the weakness in forming a Bshop quartet is generally finding a quality Tenor.

                        A question for lady quarteters:  I am curious, is there a part in a ladies quartet that is difficult to cast?

                        Frankly, I just want to make good music and perform.  I would be happy to harmonize with a martian if I could find one with similar goals, similar level of commitment, and who could help me ring chords!

                        Harmoniously,

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 7, 2008
                          It probably depends on the area.  Right now, we are awash in tenors in our chorus but low on basses and leads.  But, it's September so we've got our ads ramped up right now.  I would guess that for women, it's usually hard to find basses.  Smaller choruses would have a harder time with that as with any other part.  The IDEAL woman bass should hit a low C below middle C, but often you don't want to go too much below E flat really, depending on your section.  Our chorus regularly chooses songs that go to D flat since we've got the basses who can handle it.

                          I have sung tenor in a quartet with 3 men.....we called ourselves 3 Guys and a Girl.....really original, I know.  :-)   I actually found it a bit challenging because we sang men's arrangements and I basically was trying to sing a tenor part, which should be light and floating on top mostly below my vocal break.

                          Rebecca Gilbert
                          Treasurer
                          Durham Shores Chorus, Region 16 SAI
                          Quartetter wannabe

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                            Tenors seem to be hardest to find in both the mens and women's area.
                            One would think that a lady bass would be scare, but tenors are always a
                            premium when forming a quartet.

                            Lee
                            Tenor

                            ________________________________
                            BHS is a male group. Maybe the same consideration should be presented
                            to the SAI.
                            I love the ladies, but maybe this should also could be suggested to the
                            HI. We are all
                            looking for more members so is there hopefully a viable solution?.

                            Bill Boll

                            On 9/6/08 4:07 PM, "Tim Buell" <tpbuell@...> wrote:

                            No disrespect to anyone's wife, but I go to rehearsal on Tuesday to get
                            away from my family for a few hours and spend it in the company of men,
                            where I can let my (thinning) hair down, so to speak. Inviting the
                            wives would drive me right out of here.

                            Tim Buell
                            Free State 4
                            Heart of Maryland Chorus

                            ** Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the extent permitted by law and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the originator of the message and destroy all copies. **
                          • Dale Steinmann
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008

                              Where is UNT?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                                A few years ago I was in a mixed quartet in Montana. We sang mostly gospel, but played around with other stuff. Most of our music came from "Good News."

                                The women sang Tenor and Bari and us guys sang the other two parts. The gal that sang Bari was a Bass in the Wild Rose Harmonizers Chorus.

                                The voicing worked well, for us and was a lot of fun.

                                Good luck.

                                Tenor Jack (I sang Bass in that quartet)

                                To: barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com

                                Tenors seem to be hardest to find in both the mens and women's area.
                                One would think that a lady bass would be scare, but tenors are always a
                                premium when forming a quartet.

                                Lee
                                Tenor

                                >>> Dale Steinmann <dale.steinmann@ autodesk. com>
                                09/07/08 8:35 PM >>>

                                ____________ _________ _________ __

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                                  Keeping them seperate but interactive.  I look forward to opportunities to interact with any other singing group.  Any chance to sing is welcome.

                                  Socialize and joint shows.  Win-Win

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                                    University of North Texas is in Denton just north of DFW.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 8, 2008
                                      University of North Texas is in Denton, Texas. I actually work for the
                                      Health Science Center which is in Ft. Worth.

                                      >>> Dale Steinmann <dale.steinmann@...> 09/08/08 10:29 AM >>>
                                      Where is UNT?

                                      Dale Steinmann
                                      415-507-6787
                                      Ops (Latin) : the Roman goddess of abundance

                                      Tenors seem to be hardest to find in both the mens and women's area.
                                      One would think that a lady bass would be scare, but tenors are always a
                                      premium when forming a quartet.

                                      Lee
                                      Tenor

                                      >>> Dale Steinmann
                                      <dale.steinmann@...<mailto:dale.steinmann%40autodesk.com>>
                                      09/07/08 8:35 PM >>>

                                      From:
                                      barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com<mailto:barbershopquartet%40yahoogroups.com>

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 9, 2008
                                        As one third of a trio looking for a fourth, we think that quartet quality leads are scarce.
                                        Being a strong chorus lead is not the same as 'leading' a quartet....

                                        Teresa Block (bari/bass)
                                        Lone Star Chorus

                                        --- In barbershopquartet@yahoogroups.com, Dale Steinmann <dale.steinmann@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > It seems to me that the weakness in forming a Bshop quartet is generally finding a
                                        quality Tenor.

                                        > A question for lady quarteters: I am curious, is there a part in a ladies quartet that is
                                        difficult to cast?

                                        > Frankly, I just want to make good music and perform. I would be happy to harmonize
                                        with a martian if I could find one with similar goals, similar level of commitment, and who
                                        could help me ring chords!

                                        > Harmoniously,
                                        >
                                        > Dale Steinmann
                                        > 415-507-6787
                                      • Rebecca Gilbert
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 9, 2008
                                          Heh, so perhaps the real answer for the hard part to find is "the one part
                                          the three of us don't have"? :)

                                          Rebecca
                                          bari
                                          Durham Shores Chorus