RE: [barbershopquartet] November question - How do you get gigs?

  • John Nuss
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2007
      I was a member of a quartet that sang together for about three years until earlier this year. Our tenor dropped out due to business committments. We are currently inactive. During this period, we sang over 100 gigs and turned down many others. There are several things that helped us with our marketing:
      (1) Business cards -
      This is probably the cheapest way you can get your name known locally. I purchased some online software to allow me to design & print business cards. Each of our quartet members always had at least a hundred on hand. We distributed them to restaurants, country clubs, senior centers, beauty salons, libraries and many, many retail establishments. We always gave out several cards at each gig we sang at.
      (2) Promo gigs -
      On several Saturday evenings, we toured several of the popular restaurants in our area and
      sang two or three songs, handing out business cards. This invariably led to several gigs.
      (3) Quartet website -
      We set up a website and had the domain name printed on our business card. Also, we
      set up an account with Google Ads for advertising in our immediate geographical area.
      The Google ad also contained our website domain name.
      (4) Gigmasters.com -
      This is another marketing vehicle which paid for itself many times over. It gave us perhaps
      25 gigs during our three year stint.
      (5) BHS Registration -
      One of the benefits of registering with the society is inclusion in their website's locator
      which we couldn't meet, I always referred the party to this web page for other quartets in
      their area.
      (6) Interchapter visits -
      It always helps to make yourself known through out your local barbershop community. We tried to make an appearance at several local chapters on their regular meeting night. One of
      us always contacted the chapter president beforehand, to insure we wouldn't be interrupting
      a special event. Again, we always had business cards available.

      Rates:
      We sang primarily in the Tampa area. The going rate for a 30 minute program (8-10 songs)
      in this area is $150-200. Anything less than that (eg 2-3 songs at a wedding or birthday) is negotiable.

      "Pope, Lynette" <lptenorlead@...> wrote:
      I sang in a chapter quartet for 2 years....this information is based on that experience..
         I'm looking forward to reading the other responses.

      Lynette
      Region 23, Dual member
      Tenor - TuneTown Show Chorus ..13th in the WORLD!!
      Lead - Harmony Hills Chorus,  1st place 2007 Region 23 Div A

      How do you go about getting a gig?  repeat customers,  word of mouth, Our chorus is listed in the phone book, we often took the gigs that the chorus couldn't because of timing, location, # of singers, etc.

      Are you listed with chapters in the area? no
      Do you use a booking agent?  no
      Do you have a web site? no

      Do you actively seek gigs? not really.....
      How do you go about doing that? Posters? Business cards? Ads? Calling
      people?    business cards to anyone and everyone we meet
      Do you have a press kit? no

      Do you advertise to the chapters in your District? no

      Also, how much do you charge? We were a very new quartet..... 30 min - $100 minimum.   usually $150 for 30 min, but we did a few $250 gigs.

      Do you have rates for certain things?  As our schedules allowed, once a month or so, we "donated" a 30 min performance to nursing homes or assisted living facilities that we knew couldn't afford to pay us.

      Groups that we knew could afford it... paid our standard fee.  We rarely received complaints from paying groups, when they knew that their fee helped us provide performances for others that couldn't afford it.
      What do you charge for a birthday party where they want Happy Birthday
      and 2 other songs?  $100....or what ever we can get...

      What do you charge for 2 songs at a wedding? our wedding gigs were for friends and family....but we sometimes received a $80-$100 'thank you'

      What do you charge for a 25 minute "show"?  see  answer  above

      What do you charge for a 3 hour show where you are at the front door of
      a mall and people are just walking by?  N/A for us

      .

    • Val V
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2007

        How do you go about getting a gig? Usually by showing up someplace and having people ask us to do a gig for them.

        Are you listed with chapters in the area? Nope - except our own chapter.

        Do you use a booking agent? Nope

        Do you have a web site? Yes - but not very "fresh"

        Do you actively seek gigs? Not really

        How do you go about doing that? Posters? Business cards? Ads? Calling
        people? We have business cards - we also *occasionally* attend Chamber of Commerce meetings and have scored a paying gig from that.

        Do you have a press kit? What's a press kit? :P (Nope)

        Do you advertise to the chapters in your District? Nope - BUT - we just got a gig from being a "demo quartet" at a neighboring chapter's open house.

        Also, how much do you charge?  Depends - anywhere from free (if there's promotional value or "charity") to $300 - though it seems $200-$250 is our going rate.

        Do you have rates for certain things? No - we make them up as we go - depending on length, location, if we get fed, etc.

        What do you charge for a birthday party where they want Happy Birthday
        and 2 other songs? We haven't had that particular gig before - but we'd prolly ask $150 - more or less depending on the usual factors - distance, number of people, etc.

        What do you charge for 2 songs at a wedding? Haven't done that either - see above.

        What do you charge for a 25 minute "show"? About $200 - again - variable.

        What do you charge for a 3 hour show where you are at the front door of
        a mall and people are just walking by? We haven't had this - but would start at $300-$350 - though f we thought we could do some recruiting for the chorus we'd be inclined to lower that.

        We also do a lot of "Charity" work - nursing homes, etc. We're doing 2 "Sing around the kettle" appearances for the Salvation Army - 4 hours each (we take breaks) BUT - we hope to distribute some recruiting materials as well as build some goodwill & community awareness.

      • bbshop
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 14, 2007

          - We maintain a good relationship with the chapters (male and female) in our geographical region and before every contest ask them if we can come to a rehearsal to "test drive" our contest package in front of a live audience.... it's win, win for all of us.

          - No Booking Agent.. costs money which we are limited with

          - Yes, we have a website http://www.fusionqt.com (as of last weekend we are HI's 4th Place International Quartet Champions - WAHOO!!!)

          - Yes, we actively market our "product" we have business cards that we leave with the contact person for every performance we do (often times people will approach the person who organized the event to get our info for something they are planning in the future). We also have postcards printed and do one big mailing a year to both past clients (friendly reminder) and also potential new clients - this year we added the Assisted Living facilities to our marketing list and they were VERY interested in having us but most often the are looking for a gratis performance - so in between some of the paid performances we have scheduled to do some of these too! We have also placed ads in the local paper but that can get expensive. We do not have a "press kit" per say, and we do not market to the local chapters.

          - Our base rate is $150.00 for a 1/2 hour performance, however, if it is a considerable distance away etc... this can go up. We also have a standard rate of $50.00 for a "greeting" (birthday, anniversary etc...).

          - We have only done a 3 hour gig once - 3 tree lighting ceremonies at holiday time in the same town, moving from location to location.. I can't remember what the price was but we gave them a break on the 150.00 per 1/2 hour standard rate.

          Hope that helped... and this is a very good thread looking forward to hearing more responses.

          Charlene
          HI International 4th Place Medalist Tenor (milking it for all it's worth!)
          FUSION Quartet

          -- "John" <jg62bbshop@...> wrote:
          Let's talk about how to get a gig:

          How do you go about getting a gig?
          Are you listed with chapters in the area?
          Do you use a booking agent?
          Do you have a web site?
          Do you actively seek gigs?
          How do you go about doing that? Posters? Business cards? Ads? Calling
          people?
          Do you have a press kit?
          Do you advertise to the chapters in your District?

          Also, how much do you charge?
          Do you have rates for certain things?
          What do you charge for a birthday party where they want Happy Birthday
          and 2 other songs?
          What do you charge for 2 songs at a wedding?
          What do you charge for a 25 minute "show"?
          What do you charge for a 3 hour show where you are at the front door of
          a mall and people are just walking by?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             mailto:barbershopquartet-digest@yahoogroups.com
             mailto:barbershopquartet-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Click to find local singles for dating, romance and fun.