Re: [bapworship] Free worship gathering rites

  • Nathan Nettleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2006
      On 17/12/2005, at 5:00 AM, Russell Yee wrote:

      > I'm on a master's thesis committee and am asking for help on behalf
      > of my
      > student.
      > She's focusing on the opening parts of worship in free worship
      > settings (=
      > the gathering rites / entrance rites in liturgical settings).
      > Can anyone point to any published description or analysis of this
      > part of
      > the service in free worship settings?

      Sorry to take more than a month to offer a reply. I'm still finding
      my feet after returning from four month's leave.

      Pulling out the bibliography from my lecture on the topic, I can
      suggest the following:

      C.Welton Gaddy, The Gift of Worship
      Nashville: Broadman, 1992, p.95-108
      (Gaddy is a Baptist)

      Robert E Webber, The Renewal of Sunday Worship: Vol.3 of the Complete
      Library of Christian Worship Peabody: Hendrickson Publishers, 1993,
      p.218-236

      Patricia Wilson-Kastner, Sacred Drama : A Spirituality of Christian
      Liturgy,
      Minneapolis: Fortress Pr; 1999, p. 48-66
      (Anglican but helpful on the theology of gathering)

      Susan J White, The Spirit of Worship
      London: Darton Longman & Todd, 1999, p.100-119

      James F White, �Coming Together in Christ�s Name�
      in The Landscape of Praise edited by Blair Gilmer Meeks, Valley
      Forge: Trinity, 1996, p. 152-156

      Don E. Saliers, Worship as Theology: Foretaste of Glory Divine
      Nashville: Abingdon, 1994, p.85-117
      (These chapters are not specifically on openings, but cover acts such
      as priase and invocation which are commonly part of the opening)

      Peace and hope,

      Nathan
      Nathan Nettleton
      Lecturer in Liturgical Studies, Whitley College
      Melbourne, Australia
      nathan@...