Used to be able to go to RS and buy enough electronic parts to build a radio, now you have trouble buying coax. From: "Christopher Youngtexas_dom1
RS has changed a LOT since the seventies when I first was in one of their stores. Used to be they had the vacuum tube tester in the back corner, and plenty of
I am an avid builder and restorer of old equipment. I like a lot of my friends doing the same thing don't go running down to Radio Shack to buy one resistorpulsarair
This is a GREAT radio with a garbage manual. If you take the time to read, you can check out the resources below and have few problems. Else, you are almost guaranteed to be frustrated.
We welcome all members, please review this list before membership.
1. PLEASE, NO discussion of LEGALITY of this radio for FRS, GMRS, MURS, Marine, etc operation and FCC type acceptance for part 95 etc.
This radio is NOT approved for that use, but it is USA legal for commercial (if part 90 approved), amateur band, and any use as a receiver.
This is a very Old, very stale topic. You are not the FCC, and no one cares about your Frequency Cop opinion. Seek or start a separate Yahoo group if you can't help yourself. We all understand.
2. Be kind to your fellow list members. No flames, name calling, etc.
3. The USB cable and software can be tricky. Read the tutorial and FAQ.
4. Your other technical questions are likely answered there, so please http://www.m first.
5. You should read the new user tutorial and FAQ below.
6. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS who bring up these topics. Just ignore it.
PLEASE Read This Tutorial first:(BELOW AS "GROUP WEBSITE" It will save you time and frustration.
UV5R-NewUser Tutorial (Miklor Website)
(Courtesy of John LaMartina K3NXU - thanks!)
***** RADIO SUMMARY *****
VHF/ UHF DUAL-BAND TWO WAY RADIO
Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-520 MHz
Dual-Band Display, Dual Freq. Display, Dual-Standby
Output Power: 4w/1w
50 CTCSS and 104 DCS
Built-in VOX Function
1750Hz Burst Tone
FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)
Large LCD Display
High /Low RF Power Switchable
Channel Step: 2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/20/25/50 KHz
Dual band, dual display, dual standby
A/B band independent operation
- Amateur and Ham Radio
- Feb 23, 2012
- This is a public group.
- Attachments are permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership does not require approval.
- Messages are not moderated.
- All members can post messages.