Re: Cross Band Repeater

  • John
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 1, 2012
      Lets call it Dual Band Simplex !
      When working in Public Service Telecoms, we used TRUE Duplex via a Pye F-460 for those interested.

      The handsets were however, SIMPLEX.
      The base station. the F-460, would TX/RX at the same time, via Diplexer, also called a Duplexer to a UHF Co-linear.

      The TX/RX frequencies were about 10Mhz apart 450Mhz/460Mhz.
      For the sake of "simplicity" for our customers, we normally called it "Talk-Through"

      Regards All
      John - G8CAU
      =========================

      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, John Leahy <jleahy00@...> wrote:

      > The key word here is REPEATER.  This radio cannot act as a repeater as it can either TX or RX at one time. It cannot RX a message and then re-TX that message...... which is a repeater function.
      >
      > It can however RX on one frequency and when you transmit you can be on another frequency.  That does not constitute a Crossband Repeater as far as I understand this business.
      >
      > JL
      >
      > .
      > Many of life's failures are people who
      > did not realize how close they were to
      > success when they gave up.
      >        Thomas A. Edison
      >

      > ________________________________

    • ka0soh
      Message 34 of 34 , May 13, 2013
        Hey, thanks for the programming tip.  I've always wanted to work the satellites.
        I had zero idea you could do that with a dual-bander HT.
        Is there any other sort of thing I must do beyond the radios in order to be ready
        to work satellites?
        I'm guessing I've got to know which satellite.
        I'm guessing I've got to have a satellite program of some sort.
        Then, some sort of tutelage?
        Please advise.
        Donn, KA0SOH

        In a message dated 5/11/2013 1:37:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jl_wilkerson@... writes:

        Ok.. cool deal :) My smartypantsness is done for a few days....

        I'm really not sure I understand what you are looking for....

        Hams using crossband repeaters... OR crossband work for satellites... both can
        be used fine on the Baofengs.

        My experience is with satellites.

        I program the VHF uplink frequency in the transmit frequency of a channel...
        then I program the UHF downlink to the receive channel.... Therefore, when I key
        the radio, the radio transmits on 2 meters, and receives on UHF.

        Now... crossband repeaters are tricky.... A lot of folks use them incorrectly,
        as some frequencies in the chain go unidentified. You need to use the
        frequencies allocated as "auxiliary" frequencies.

        I defer to the more knowledgeable to complete the answer

        I do apologize for the snippy first response... yeah the rulebreakers put salt
        on open wounds...

        73