Use of one frequency for 2 radios only

  • George
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
      hi there
      Please ilike to know if it possible to configure two baofeng uv5r radios with one frequency only... for my wife and me only..please send the steps how to do it. if is possible. thank you GM
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
        Yes. Unless I'm not understanding you question, just program only one channel. Read the guide at http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ to know how to program a channel.

        Jim KC9HI

        --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgemaldonado76@...> wrote:

        > hi there
        > Please ilike to know if it possible to configure two baofeng uv5r radios with one frequency only... for my wife and me only..please send the steps how to do it. if is possible. thank you GM

      • Andrew McKinney
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
          Unless the question referred to having a "private" channel for just the 2 of you. The answer to that would be no. You can create through settings a frequency where your wife can only hear you and you can only hear your wife, but others will be able to hear you both.

          Without encryption there is no privacy in radio communications. Even then the pseudo-random generator sequence can be hacked, but thats another story for another forum.

          I didn't help at all did I?

          Andy

          --
          "To err is human, To really screw up requires a computer"

          Unknown
        • John Leahy
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
            George,

            What frequency are you authorized to operate on?

            You can't just pick one and use it.

            JL

            .
            Many of life's failures are people who
            did not realize how close they were to
            success when they gave up.
                   Thomas A. Edison

            Please ilike to know if it possible to configure two baofeng uv5r radios with one frequency only... for my wife and me only..please send the steps how to do it. if is possible.  thank you    GM

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                baofeng_uv5r-digest@yahoogroups.com
                baofeng_uv5r-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • jwheatleyus
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
              You would probably be better served by a FRS Handy Talkie radio from Radio Shack or Walmart. The UV-5R is really better suited to Amateur or Commercial radio users with some radio experience and knowledge of legal frequencies and uses.
              http://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTOROLA-MJ270R-27-MILE-TWO-WAY-RADIO-WITH-22-CHANNELS-121-PRIVACY-CODES-AND-NOAA-ALERT/10913180
              JohnW
              W5JHW

              --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "George" <georgemaldonado76@...> wrote:

              > hi there
              > Please ilike to know if it possible to configure two baofeng uv5r radios with one frequency only... for my wife and me only..please send the steps how to do it. if is possible. thank you GM

            • Scott, KB3JQQ
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
                And don't believe the 27 mile range. No matter what, you'll only
                average about 2 miles on UHF no matter what they claim. The $10
                units work as well as the $100 units. Fixed antenna and low power.

                --- On Sat, 9/1/12, jwheatleyus <taoswheat@...> wrote:

                > You would probably be better served
                > by a FRS Handy Talkie radio from Radio Shack or
                > Walmart.  The UV-5R is really better suited to Amateur
                > or Commercial radio users with some radio experience and
                > knowledge of legal frequencies and uses.
                > http://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTOROLA-MJ270R-27-MILE-TWO-WAY-RADIO-WITH-22-CHANNELS-121-PRIVACY-CODES-AND-NOAA-ALERT/10913180
              • art_aka_truckcentral
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 2012
                  --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Scott, KB3JQQ" <kb3jqq@...> wrote:

                  > And don't believe the 27 mile range. No matter what, you'll only
                  > average about 2 miles on UHF no matter what they claim. The $10
                  > units work as well as the $100 units. Fixed antenna and low power.
                  >
                  > --- On Sat, 9/1/12, jwheatleyus <taoswheat@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > You would probably be better served
                  > > by a FRS Handy Talkie radio from Radio Shack or
                  > > Walmart.  The UV-5R is really better suited to Amateur
                  > > or Commercial radio users with some radio experience and
                  > > knowledge of legal frequencies and uses.
                  > > http://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTOROLA-MJ270R-27-MILE-TWO-WAY-RADIO-WITH-22-CHANNELS-121-PRIVACY-CODES-AND-NOAA-ALERT/10913180

                  And another note for those who don't read small print.. most of the 22 channel bubble packs have both FRS ans GMRS.. GMRS does require a licence as well. Currently $85.00 if I am not mistaken rendering most of the 22 channels non usable with out a licence. And due to possible power setting making some of the FRS channels fall into the need a licence area. Make sure you get what you want the first time. One last note a GMRS licence is good for the holder and immediate family and doesn't require a test as it is fee based.
                • Jim
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2012
                    Hi John...

                    Sure you can.. FRS, 14 channels... pick one...

                    Channel Frequency (MHz) Notes
                    1 462.5625 Shared with GMRS.
                    2 462.5875 Shared with GMRS.
                    3 462.6125 Shared with GMRS.
                    4 462.6375 Shared with GMRS.
                    5 462.6625 Shared with GMRS.
                    6 462.6875 Shared with GMRS.
                    7 462.7125 Shared with GMRS.
                    8 467.5625 FRS use only
                    9 467.5875 FRS use only
                    10 467.6125 FRS use only
                    11 467.6375 FRS use only
                    12 467.6625 FRS use only
                    13 467.6875 FRS use only
                    14 467.7125 FRS use only

                    Check your country's frequency list if not in USA. My also have Citizens Band coverage in some areas of the world.

                    Jimmie

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2012
                      And in the US there are 5 Part 95 channels you can use.
                      The service is called Multi Use Radio Service (MURS). It is a 2 watts output
                      service so program them all at low power.

                      o 151.82
                      o 151.88
                      o 151.94
                      o 154.57
                      o 154.60

                      The 151 channels are Narrowband so program them narrow. The last 2
                      are wide but you will find them in use everywhere.