Re: [baofeng_uv5r] New here..

  • Bill Maxwell
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2013
      No, it will work with other Windows version, provided that you install the driver appropriate to the cable. Read the posts about the counterfeit Prolific chips and the need to run an older version of the driver to overcome Prolific's defence mechanism, if you want more detail. However, the fact that you have a Quansheng happily working with your existing cable augers well for success. In fact, you need not have purchased another cable, as the one you already have will also program the UV-5R+.

      I can't comment on the 520 MHz question.

      Bill, VK7MX

      On 28/05/2013 1:30 PM, David wrote:
      Just bought a uv5r+ off of ebay with a speaker mic, and programming cable for $48 which I thought was a pretty good deal.  Reading through the listing afterwards though it says that the programming cable (which is a kenwood prong type) only works on windows XP.  I found this a bit curious as I know that the software uses a prolific driver and that I have a kenwood prong type cable for my quansheng and it works fine on Windows 7.  Was wondering if that's more an issue with proprietary software compared to say, Chirp.

      I also noticed that the frequency range has changed up to 520Mhz...is that just a + thing?

      Thanks in advance for the answers

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          baofeng_uv5r-digest@yahoogroups.com
          baofeng_uv5r-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Jim Unroe
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2013
        On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:30 PM, David <gr8dave37@...> wrote:

        Just bought a uv5r+ off of ebay with a speaker mic, and programming cable for $48 which I thought was a pretty good deal. Reading through the listing afterwards though it says that the programming cable (which is a kenwood prong type) only works on windows XP. I found this a bit curious as I know that the software uses a prolific driver and that I have a kenwood prong type cable for my quansheng and it works fine on Windows 7. Was wondering if that's more an issue with proprietary software compared to say, Chirp.

        I also noticed that the frequency range has changed up to 520Mhz...is that just a + thing?

        Thanks in advance for the answers

        Hi David,

        If you haven't already, visit the Miklor.com website. Do not install any drivers or programming software that comes with the radio/cable. Download the driver from a link on the Miklor website and following the guide there for getting it properly installed. The driver will work for both the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

        After the driver is properly installed, download your choice of programming software from links on the Miklor website. I suggest that you use CHIRP but I have all 3 installed here.

        Before doing anything with your new radio, hook it up to the programming cable and use CHIRP to download the factory channels and settings to a CHIRP image file. You can then use this file later for returning the radio back to factory settings if need be. You can also edit a copy of it to create you channels and settings.

        All UV-5R radios and their extra lettered cousins have the same electronics. They are all capable of 520 MHz regardless of the label on the back. Just use CHIRP to set the UHF upper limit to 520 if need be.

        Jim KC9HI
      • jrc301161
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2013
          The cable works on any windows, you just need the right driver.
          I have used it on XP and also windows 7.

          Bye from John in the UK

          From: "David" <gr8dave37@...>
          Sender: baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 03:30:03 -0000