Re: ARRL Test Results

  • n1gnv
    Message 1 of 18 , May 27, 2013
      > They are arrl w1aw they test all radios and give the result on qst !
      > results depending on if they advertise on QST or not.

      I'm curious to see what facts you have to back up this assertion. I spent several years as ARRL Advertising Manager (granted, over 10 years ago) and I can assure you that this was not the case then. In fact, I recall several "spirited discussions" with the editorial staff about reviews of products offered by both advertisers and non-advertisers.

      Would you kindly share what information you have to corroborate this claim?

      Thanks and 73,
      John Bee, N1GNV
      Quicksilver Radio Products
      http://www.qsradio.com
    • Xaun Loc
      Message 2 of 18 , May 27, 2013
        Sorry, Larry, but neither “ARRL” nor “W1AW” is a person.  W1AW is a club station callsign, that station as dozens of operators, many of whom are not even ARRL members, much less employees.   The ARRL staff include many employees, all of whom are competent in their specific jobs, but most are not experts in the various technical fields associated with amateur radio. Beyond the ARRL staff there are many more people who are elected or appointed to positions in the field, beyond an amateur radio operator license, many of these elected and appointed positions have no special qualifications.  If the ARRL set up some sort of radio testing facility at the Dayton Hamfest, I would expect that they probably used at least competent people – which is why I would strongly expect that the comment “They recommended against ever using a 2 meter amp”  either never happened at all or was seriously misquoted (hopefully unintentionally).

        They are arrl w1aw they test all radios and give the result on qst !

        On May 27, 2013 2:50 PM, "rmc8_99" <rmc8@...> wrote:

        ARRL was testing Handi-talkies at Dayton. I let them test my UV-5R. The results are as follows:

        145.22

        2nd Harmonic Level -49dBm
        3rd Harmonic Level - 49.3dBm
        4th Harmonic Level -49.1dBm

        70 cm
        2nd Harmonic Level -53dBm
        3rd Harmonic Level -54dBm

        They recommended against ever using a 2 meter amp.

      • Mike Hojnowski
        Message 3 of 18 , May 29, 2013
          Gang,

          I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I'll relate my saga.

          I own two UV-5Rs. I clone them from the same CHIRP configuration.
          Recently, I was using one of them in my car with a mobile antenna, and I
          noticed I was no longer hitting a local repeater. Swapping radios, the
          other worked fine. If I CAN reach the repeater, the one radio has VERY
          weak signal and audio quality. With the two radios in my hand, on a
          simplex frequency, I can transmit and receive OK. I'm presuming the one
          just has VERY low signal output.

          I checked the menu settings to confirm that I didn't accidentally reset
          the one radio to the lower power output setting. They're both set the same.

          I am aware that at one point, I was using my external antenna, and the
          whip came out of the base. I was transmitting with a very degraded
          antenna. This may be the root cause if this is damaged.

          Have I fried my radio? Any suggestions on further debugging I might do,
          before deeming one of my radios as "receive only" or "brick"?

          Mike
          KD2EAT
        • Ryan Schultz
          Message 4 of 18 , May 29, 2013
            I would do a reset on the radio, then reprogram with chirp and see if it comes back to life. There are a few possibilities. Check the battery has a full charge or try another battery.

            Ryan
            W9UEY

            On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Mike Hojnowski <mqh1spam@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Michael Black
            Message 5 of 18 , May 29, 2013

              Have you swapped antennas to see if the problem moves to the other radio?

              Message 6 of 18 , May 29, 2013
                Even when set internally to high power all you need to do (either on purpose or accidently) is press the #/lock key to switch to low power, evidenced by "L" in the upper left corner.