Re: ARRL Test Results

  • JimmyDnLV
    Message 1 of 18 , May 27, 2013
      So, what did you do with your UV-5R's? Did you promptly send them back to wherever you bought them from?

      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, photoham <photoham@...> wrote:

      > I, too, was at Dayton. Had 4 radios tested by the ARRL. Three UV-5R
      > and one Yaesu VX-8
      >
      > UV-5R sample 1
      >
      > Passed Spurious Emission (just, by
      > 0.8dB)
      >
      > UV-5R sample 2
      >
      > Failed both on 2m and 70cm
      >
      > 2m failed by
      > 2.5dB
      >
      > 70cm failed by 11dB
      >
      > UV-5R sample 3
      >
      > Failed 2m by 34dB (WOW,
      > yes 34 dB)
      >
      > 70cm passed, just, by 0dB
      >
      > Yaesu VX-8
      >
      > 2m passed by
      > greater than 20dB (spurious emission below noise floor)
      >
      > 70cm passed by
      > 4dB.
      >
      > Conclusion: The UV-5R should not be used in the USA on the Ham
      > bands unless it has been shown to met FCC requirements. Some do not meet
      > FCC Part 97.307(e). If you have a UV-5R have it tested to see if it
      > meets spurious emission requirements.
      >
      > The ARRL test engineers were
      > recording serial numbers of failed radios and were going to report to
      > the FCC their findings.
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > N5UJC

    • n1gnv
      Message 2 of 18 , May 27, 2013
        > They are arrl w1aw they test all radios and give the result on qst !
        > results depending on if they advertise on QST or not.

        I'm curious to see what facts you have to back up this assertion. I spent several years as ARRL Advertising Manager (granted, over 10 years ago) and I can assure you that this was not the case then. In fact, I recall several "spirited discussions" with the editorial staff about reviews of products offered by both advertisers and non-advertisers.

        Would you kindly share what information you have to corroborate this claim?

        Thanks and 73,
        John Bee, N1GNV
        Quicksilver Radio Products
        http://www.qsradio.com
      • Xaun Loc
        Message 3 of 18 , May 27, 2013
          Sorry, Larry, but neither “ARRL” nor “W1AW” is a person.  W1AW is a club station callsign, that station as dozens of operators, many of whom are not even ARRL members, much less employees.   The ARRL staff include many employees, all of whom are competent in their specific jobs, but most are not experts in the various technical fields associated with amateur radio. Beyond the ARRL staff there are many more people who are elected or appointed to positions in the field, beyond an amateur radio operator license, many of these elected and appointed positions have no special qualifications.  If the ARRL set up some sort of radio testing facility at the Dayton Hamfest, I would expect that they probably used at least competent people – which is why I would strongly expect that the comment “They recommended against ever using a 2 meter amp”  either never happened at all or was seriously misquoted (hopefully unintentionally).

          They are arrl w1aw they test all radios and give the result on qst !

          On May 27, 2013 2:50 PM, "rmc8_99" <rmc8@...> wrote:

          ARRL was testing Handi-talkies at Dayton. I let them test my UV-5R. The results are as follows:

          145.22

          2nd Harmonic Level -49dBm
          3rd Harmonic Level - 49.3dBm
          4th Harmonic Level -49.1dBm

          70 cm
          2nd Harmonic Level -53dBm
          3rd Harmonic Level -54dBm

          They recommended against ever using a 2 meter amp.

        • Mike Hojnowski
          Message 4 of 18 , May 29, 2013
            Gang,

            I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I'll relate my saga.

            I own two UV-5Rs. I clone them from the same CHIRP configuration.
            Recently, I was using one of them in my car with a mobile antenna, and I
            noticed I was no longer hitting a local repeater. Swapping radios, the
            other worked fine. If I CAN reach the repeater, the one radio has VERY
            weak signal and audio quality. With the two radios in my hand, on a
            simplex frequency, I can transmit and receive OK. I'm presuming the one
            just has VERY low signal output.

            I checked the menu settings to confirm that I didn't accidentally reset
            the one radio to the lower power output setting. They're both set the same.

            I am aware that at one point, I was using my external antenna, and the
            whip came out of the base. I was transmitting with a very degraded
            antenna. This may be the root cause if this is damaged.

            Have I fried my radio? Any suggestions on further debugging I might do,
            before deeming one of my radios as "receive only" or "brick"?

            Mike
            KD2EAT
          • Ryan Schultz
            Message 5 of 18 , May 29, 2013
              I would do a reset on the radio, then reprogram with chirp and see if it comes back to life. There are a few possibilities. Check the battery has a full charge or try another battery.

              Ryan
              W9UEY

              On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Mike Hojnowski <mqh1spam@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Michael Black
              Message 6 of 18 , May 29, 2013

                Have you swapped antennas to see if the problem moves to the other radio?

                Message 7 of 18 , May 29, 2013
                  Even when set internally to high power all you need to do (either on purpose or accidently) is press the #/lock key to switch to low power, evidenced by "L" in the upper left corner.