Re: UV-5R Quirks

  • Adamic Bombastic
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2013
      I totally get this. I'm having the same issue.
      I also really don't appreciate the condescending nature of comments on this thread. This is a question in a support group and it's a valid one.
      Basically it appears that Baofeng would have to link menu 34 and the [A/B] button when menu 34 is set to A or B lock.

      It's terribly frustrating that when menu 7 is enabled it switches your transmit frequency based on which A/B frequency you last received on. Bad design quirk. You have to constantly look at a tiny little arrow to figure out if you're about to transmit on one frequency or the other.
      Menu 34 just traps you into transmitting on which ever A/B you set.
      If you're in an environment where pulling out your radio every minute or two to verify which freq you're about to transmit on can cost you or distract you from something you're focused on its HIGHLY IRRITATING. This is totally a design oversight.

      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "johnfreehold" <edwardiwarren@...> wrote:

      > I was wondering if not being able to use the A/B button when dual watch mode (menu 7) is on and TX-AB (menu 34) is set to either A or B is normal.
      >
      > I can't believe there is no way to change the the opposite bank of what menu 34 is set to without turning off TX-AB.
      >
      > Maybe we are both missing something because this seems pretty silly.
      >
      > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <wescom@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been checking out my new UV-5R. Overall it is a great buy for $65. With that low price we cannot expect perfection, at least in the first version. Here are a couple quirks I've noticed.
      > >
      > > 1. When TDR (menu 7, Dual watch/Dual reception) is ON, A/B select follows the squelch. For instance, after selecting A with [A/B] button, a signal arriving B will switch the radio to B. You could then press the [A/B] button to switch back to A before transmitting. (provided you noticed that it had changed) That is a bit of a nuisance that becomes a problem if you have turned on the keyboard lock so the [A/B] button is disabled.
      > >
      > > 2. The problem with the TDR button is partially mitigated using menu item 34: TX-AB which allows you to select A or B only for transmitting. That, however, introduces its own problem because it effectively disables the [A/B] button. If TDR is ON and you set TX-AB to A, you are immediately kicked back to A when you press the [A/B] button, making it impossible to change the B channel.
      > >
      > > My current operating setup is to set (34) TX-AB to A. I then turn on (7) TDR only when I have a specific secondary frequency I would like to also monitor. I select the secondary channel before turning TDR on.
      > >
      > > These are really not big problems but they should be considered whenever plans are made for 'UV-5R Plus'. Simply not having the automatic A/B switching would help a lot.
      > >
      > > Anyway, if I am missing something about the A/B operation, please mention it. I like this little radio enough that it will be my main HT for a while.
      > >
      > > Gary - N0GW

    • Bob Holmes
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2013
        I hear you loud and clear. I was hoping that the channel name in "A" would sync to the frequency in "B" as you used the up/down arrows but no joy there.  You must look at the memory number to the right of channel name and frequency number to see that they are the same.  Oh well what can we expect for $50  Besides that it's a great little HT with so many more features than I have on my old Yaesu FT-470; but then that rig is 1991 technology.  It cost me $395 too.  Soooo I'm not complaining!

        73
        Bob ~ N7SGM