The Great Rubber Duck Shoot Off

  • gkearns1449
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 19, 2013
      Hi all UV-5R owners, I have done some testing with 3 different rubber duck antenna.

      I have been a HAM for 20 years or so and have worked on spacecraft antenna systems for as long.

      The test measuring device was a HP 8560E spectrum analyzer using a steel bench as a receiving antenna.

      The UV-5R was placed 10 feet from the HP 8560E ( this puts the recevier in far feild mode ), the UV-5R set at 145.000 mhz, 1 watt output.

      Orignal UV-5R Antenna -19 dBm
      J0125A $5.55 from EBAY -12 dBm
      NAGOY NA-701 $11.00 from EBAY -10 dBm

      The smaller the number the more power is getting out the antenna.

      We can see that the NAGOY NA-701 is the best radiator and the original the worst.

      But what does it mean ?

      Well for every 3 dB there is a half power loss or gain.

      If we assume the NAGOY NA-701 is transmitting the full power of 5 watts then the J0125A antenna would be transmitting 5 watts/2 = 2.5 watts.

      The original antenna would be transmitting 5 watts/2, /2, /2 = 0.625 watts.

      These losses would also be effect on the receive side as well.

      The bottom line here is if you are having trouble hearing station(s) or tripping repeaters it's because you need a real antenna not the rubber resistor that comes with the UV-5R.

      So spend 5 dollars and get some use of the new radio.

      73 Gord VA3GLK
    • Patrick

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 19, 2013
          Well crud I amusing the original ant that came with the radio I ws told it was the new design from the first one they had, I hit all the vhf repeaters I did with my old ht202 but nothing on uhf I didnt have uhf capability before so I dont know anything except I did put in uhf rpeaters listed for Indy and cant hit any
          Keath

          If there aren't any Basenji or Shiba in Heaven then I'm going where they are.
        • basilkies
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 19, 2013
            I saw a nice little recipe for a dipole antenna and built it. TV cable, one 6 inch spike up and four spikes pointing 45 degrees down and put it on a ladder and hoisted up a bit. Now from the stuff I had I figured it should be tuned for UHF, but I am only getting VHF. Now, this is not a great indicator of much except that it's good for VHF, because they are police frequencies for a town about 15 miles up the road and when I look at google earth that seems to be my best shot between the hills where I am.

            Oh, and I also receive three more NOAA weather channels than the one I got before. So, the antenna works well but so far the results are a bit off the track of what I thought.

            --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "gkearns1449" <gkearns1449@...> wrote:

            > Hi all UV-5R owners, I have done some testing with 3 different rubber duck antenna.
            >
            > I have been a HAM for 20 years or so and have worked on spacecraft antenna systems for as long.
            >
            > The test measuring device was a HP 8560E spectrum analyzer using a steel bench as a receiving antenna.
            >
            > The UV-5R was placed 10 feet from the HP 8560E ( this puts the recevier in far feild mode ), the UV-5R set at 145.000 mhz, 1 watt output.
            >
            > Orignal UV-5R Antenna -19 dBm
            > J0125A $5.55 from EBAY -12 dBm
            > NAGOY NA-701 $11.00 from EBAY -10 dBm
            >
            > The smaller the number the more power is getting out the antenna.
            >
            > We can see that the NAGOY NA-701 is the best radiator and the original the worst.
            >
            > But what does it mean ?
            >
            > Well for every 3 dB there is a half power loss or gain.
            >
            > If we assume the NAGOY NA-701 is transmitting the full power of 5 watts then the J0125A antenna would be transmitting 5 watts/2 = 2.5 watts.
            >
            > The original antenna would be transmitting 5 watts/2, /2, /2 = 0.625 watts.
            >
            > These losses would also be effect on the receive side as well.
            >
            > The bottom line here is if you are having trouble hearing station(s) or tripping repeaters it's because you need a real antenna not the rubber resistor that comes with the UV-5R.
            >
            > So spend 5 dollars and get some use of the new radio.
            >
            > 73 Gord VA3GLK

          • Carlos Roig
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 19, 2013
                What you are describing is not a dipole, it is a ground plane antenna. The length of the elements is calculated from the formula 234/f(mhz). A six to seven inch vertical element and four 45 degree radials will resonate on the uhf band. For a vhf band ground plane ( ham band) you will need a 19 inch vertical element and four 45 degree radials .

              I saw a nice little recipe for a dipole antenna and built it. TV cable, one 6 inch spike up and four spikes pointing 45 degrees down and put it on a ladder and hoisted up a bit. Now from the stuff I had I figured it should be tuned for UHF, but I am only getting VHF. Now, this is not a great indicator of much except that it's good for VHF, because they are police frequencies for a town about 15 miles up the road and when I look at google earth that seems to be my best shot between the hills where I am.

              Oh, and I also receive three more NOAA weather channels than the one I got before. So, the antenna works well but so far the results are a bit off the track of what I thought.

              --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "gkearns1449" <gkearns1449@...> wrote:

              > Hi all UV-5R owners, I have done some testing with 3 different rubber duck antenna.
              >
              > I have been a HAM for 20 years or so and have worked on spacecraft antenna systems for as long.
              >
              > The test measuring device was a HP 8560E spectrum analyzer using a steel bench as a receiving antenna.
              >
              > The UV-5R was placed 10 feet from the HP 8560E ( this puts the recevier in far feild mode ), the UV-5R set at 145.000 mhz, 1 watt output.
              >
              > Orignal UV-5R Antenna -19 dBm
              > J0125A $5.55 from EBAY -12 dBm
              > NAGOY NA-701 $11.00 from EBAY -10 dBm
              >
              > The smaller the number the more power is getting out the antenna.
              >
              > We can see that the NAGOY NA-701 is the best radiator and the original the worst.
              >
              > But what does it mean ?
              >
              > Well for every 3 dB there is a half power loss or gain.
              >
              > If we assume the NAGOY NA-701 is transmitting the full power of 5 watts then the J0125A antenna would be transmitting 5 watts/2 = 2.5 watts.
              >
              > The original antenna would be transmitting 5 watts/2, /2, /2 = 0.625 watts.
              >
              > These losses would also be effect on the receive side as well.
              >
              > The bottom line here is if you are having trouble hearing station(s) or tripping repeaters it's because you need a real antenna not the rubber resistor that comes with the UV-5R.
              >
              > So spend 5 dollars and get some use of the new radio.
              >
              > 73 Gord VA3GLK

            • Bob Holmes
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 19, 2013
                Gord,

                Thanks for the great study. I've heard that the OEM antenna that comes with the Baofeng UV-B5 Dual Band HT is somewhat better than the OEM UV-5R antenna.  Here is the link to Hans review of the UV-B5 and his comment about the antenna.  http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/12/18/review-baofeng-uv-b5-baofeng-uv-b6/

                I have a UV-5RB on the way via post and when I get it, I want to try the antenna from my Yaesu FT-470 Dual Band HT and see how well that will work. I have no test gear so the results won't be scientific but I'm hoping to hear a difference.

                73
                Bob, N7SGM

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
                  Gord,

                  Would you be interested in testing the Nagoya 702 an the Nagoya 711? If you were, I am willing to loan one of each of them to you for bench testing.

                  Kurt - KF5TBU

                  Three Old Crows General Store
                  BaoFeng Radios and Accessories
                  http://www.threeoldcrowsgeneralstore.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                    Good info, but I am assuming this is for 2m. What about uhf?

                    Sent from my personalized C Spire Wireless Samsung Galaxy S
                  • glenaldrich@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013

[...]

                      FREE Animations for Your Email - by IncrediMail! Click Here!
                    • CN 17307
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                        I have this antenna. It is well constructed and long. It also appears to be a conterfeit "Diamond" model due to the ever so slight different logo.

                        Bill Coulson W6SQ
                        Colville, WA

                        --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "glenaldrich@..." <glenaldrich@...> wrote:

                        > Speaking of antennas does anyone use this one or know anything about it?
                        > Http://www.ebay
                        > com/itm/This-is-original-Nagoya-antenna-NA-771-SMA-Female-high-quality-new-GO
                        > D-/290871137708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b94555ac
                        >
                        > Glen

                      • boaznruth09
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                          Don't know anything about this antenna....
                          but I DO KNOW about the

                          444mhz Quad that gets impressive gain for a few little pieces of wire!

                          photo section...

                        • gkearns1449
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
                            Hi All

                            I would be happy to test any antenna that you would like me to test, if you provide return postage.

                            I would change the conditions of the tests a bit to be fare to all.

                            I would place the unit's in our RF Chamber ($100,000.00) to ensure there are no reflections and a calibrated standards.

                            I can be contacted directly via VA3GLK@...

                            I have a very full day, so don't send gazilin antenna to define, again this hobby is about help and support, NOT just a little cheap radio.

                            73 & 88th to the YL'S / XYL"S

                            Gord VA3GLK

                          • Kurt
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
                              Gord,

                              Please send me you shipping information and I will send you factory new 4 antemnnas for testing:

                              Nagoya  NA-701
                              Nagoya  NA-702
                              Nagoya  NA-771

                              The $3.79 special, which is actually a J0125A

                              Kurt - KF5TBU

                              Three Old Crows General Store
                              BaoFeng Radios and Accessories
                              http://www.threeoldcrowsgeneralstore.com

                              I would be happy to test any antenna that you would like me to test, if you provide return postage.

                              I would change the conditions of the tests a bit to be fare to all.

                              I would place the unit's in our RF Chamber ($100,000.00) to ensure there are no reflections and a calibrated standards.

                              I can be contacted directly via mailto:VA3GLK%40RAC.CA

                              --- In mailto:baofeng_uv5r%40yahoogroups.com, "glenaldrich@..." <glenaldrich@...> wrote:

                              > Speaking of antennas does anyone use this one or know anything about it?
                              > http://www.ebay/
                              > com/itm/This-is-original-Nagoya-antenna-NA-771-SMA-Female-high-quality-new-GO
                              > D-/290871137708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b94555ac
                              >
                              > Glen

                            • tv4me2
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
                                Hi

                                First - many many thanks for your excellent work. It is tremendously appreciated to have such useful hard data shared with the rest of us.

                                Second - could you test both the 2m and the 70cm bands? I'm guessing/betting the performance on the 70cm band might be quite different to on the 2m band.

                                Third - I tried to email you directly but the message bounced back. Can you check the email address you've shared with us, please.

                                --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "gkearns1449" <gkearns1449@...> wrote:

                                > Hi All
                                >
                                > I would be happy to test any antenna that you would like me to test, if you provide return postage.
                                >
                                > I would change the conditions of the tests a bit to be fare to all.
                                >
                                > I would place the unit's in our RF Chamber ($100,000.00) to ensure there are no reflections and a calibrated standards.
                                >
                                > I can be contacted directly via VA3GLK@...
                                >
                                > I have a very full day, so don't send gazilin antenna to define, again this hobby is about help and support, NOT just a little cheap radio.
                                >

                                > 73 & 88th to the YL'S / XYL"S
                                >
                                > Gord VA3GLK

                              • KB3VEW
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 28, 2013
                                  Thanks Kurt,
                                  What a great thing to offer. Maybe we can get some quality testing done and find out what is what. Not that we don’t appreciate the input from other users, but it sounds like we are about to get some quality testing done on some high end equipment.

                                  Thanks to Kurt and Gord,
                                  73
                                  Ron P.
                                  KB3VEW

                                  I would be happy to test any antenna that you would like me to test, if you provide return postage.

                                  I would change the conditions of the tests a bit to be fare to all.

                                  I would place the unit's in our RF Chamber ($100,000.00) to ensure there are no reflections and a calibrated standards.

                                  I can be contacted directly via mailto:VA3GLK%40RAC.CA

                                  I have a very full day, so don't send gazilin antenna to define, again this hobby is about help and support, NOT just a little cheap radio.

                                  73 & 88th to the YL'S / XYL"S

                                  Gord VA3GLK

                                  --- In mailto:baofeng_uv5r%40yahoogroups.com, "glenaldrich@..." <glenaldrich@...> wrote:

                                  > Speaking of antennas does anyone use this one or know anything about it?
                                  > http://www.ebay/
                                  > com/itm/This-is-original-Nagoya-antenna-NA-771-SMA-Female-high-quality-new-GO
                                  > D-/290871137708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b94555ac
                                  >
                                  > Glen

                                • gkearns1449
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 29, 2013
                                    Hi Gang

                                    Send an e-mail to gord@... and I will give you the address to send your antenna samples to, my RAC address is not working at this time.

                                    Or go to any ham site nd enter va3glk it will show the information in the Indursty Canada data base our name and address are part of public record.

                                    73 Gord VA3GLK

                                    --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "KB3VEW" <kb3vew@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks Kurt,
                                    > What a great thing to offer. Maybe we can get some quality testing done and find out what is what. Not that we don’t appreciate the input from other users, but it sounds like we are about to get some quality testing done on some high end equipment.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks to Kurt and Gord,
                                    > 73
                                    > Ron P.
                                    > KB3VEW

                                  • mdblack98
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 20, 2013
                                      Did Gord drop off of this thread?

                                      I've got a UV5RPlus and supposedly it has an "improved" antenna and might be interesting to test.
                                      I couldn't find a good email address for Gord either in this thread or on any of the ham sites.

                                      Mike W9MDB
                                    • gkearns1449
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 20, 2013
                                        I'm still here you can contact me at va3glk@...

                                        I will test any antenna I'm provided with all under the exact same coconditions.

                                        Thanks Mike

                                        73 Gord VA3GLK