Re: scanned every channel and havent heard a thing.

  • rob12770
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 12:09 AM
      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "sam" <samwagner31@...> wrote:

      > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "sam" <samwagner31@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > I just received my beofeng uv5r plus today. I haven't programmed it yet but assumethat I would hear something on the channels. All I've picked up is a noaa channel and some strange transmission that sounds like a diesel engine. I'm not licensed yet. So for now I just wanna listen. Are there any channels that always have chatter on them??
      > >
      > Haha maybe I could lure him out with a case of beer. And my radio only goes 4 digits after the decimal. I think I'm probably just in a dead zone because I've scanned through all my frequencies several times. I'll look into a better antena. Thanks for you're help.

      you can change your khz steps, press menu then 1
    • Jim Unroe
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1 3:18 AM
        http://RadioReference.com/

        Select your state and county to get a list of frequencies in your area.

        http://www.cityfreq.com/

        Similar to RadioReference. Select by state and city

        Use google. Using "Idaho repeaters" for search terms this list of ham repeaters was at the top of the list of several pages.

        http://www.idahoarrl.info/repeater.htm

        Remember, just because it is listed doesn't necessarily mean it is active.

        Jim KC9HI

        On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:23 AM, sam <samwagner31@...> wrote:

        --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "sam" wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I just received my beofeng uv5r plus today. I haven't programmed it yet but assumethat I would hear something on the channels. All I've picked up is a noaa channel and some strange transmission that sounds like a diesel engine. I'm not licensed yet. So for now I just wanna listen. Are there any channels that always have chatter on them??

        Thanks. I'm not sure what kind of things these radios are supposed to pick up. I live close to a couple airports and a military base. I live in north Idaho. My neighbor has a HAM radio but he never really comes outside so it's hard to talk to him.

      • Dean Rayner
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1 6:32 AM
          For Ham traffic, try finding out what your local repeater frequency's are.  Just google it.  Busy times tend to be commuting hours as people go to and return from work.
          Also 144.500 is worth a listen as that is the calling frequency on 2 meters.
        • Steven Rundquist
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1 7:23 PM
            Once you get your license, things will probably change. I didn't hear much
            for my area and I live in a big city (Phoenix Arizona). But when I key up,
            give my call sign to see if I can get in to the repeaters, there are a lot
            of them that I can get in to. But most of them are quiet except for some
            scheduled net activities on some evenings. If I ask if there is any one out
            there, I can often get a reply. But without a license, I can see how it
            would appear to a person that there is nothing out there.