Re: Baofeng UV5R Firmware 297

  • tenorman1952
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" wrote:

      > I'm still trying to get the radio to program from the computer using either CHIRP o VIM, but I can program manually on the radio. But somehow one of the attempts has locked me out of the 440 range and will not accept other than frequency ranges in the 240 range.. I haven't been able to find a way to change and reset dose not do it.

      I just received a v.297 earlier this week and had no problem programming it via the lastest daily build of CHIRP.

      Paul - AE5JU
    • john_k3nxu
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
        Donald,
        This should do it.

        (1) Run VIP factory software v12.07.25
        (2) Open the "Other" tab at the top of the page.
        From within that screen:
        (3) Select: READ
        (4) Select: "More than 480MHz to allow transmit"
        Work Band should be 136-174 / 400-520 MHz
        (5) Select: WRITE

        John K3NXU

        --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" wrote:

        > I'm still trying to get the radio to program from the computer using either CHIRP o VIM, but I can program manually on the radio. But somehow one of the attempts has locked me out of the 440 range and will not accept other than frequency ranges in the 240 range.. I haven't been able to find a way to change and reset dose not do it.

      • Donald
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2013
          Thanks I will give that a try. Overall this a good radio for the price and worth some effort to get it set up..

          --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "john_k3nxu" wrote:

          > Donald,
          > This should do it.
          >
          > (1) Run VIP factory software v12.07.25
          > (2) Open the "Other" tab at the top of the page.
          > From within that screen:
          > (3) Select: READ
          > (4) Select: "More than 480MHz to allow transmit"
          > Work Band should be 136-174 / 400-520 MHz
          > (5) Select: WRITE
          >
          > John K3NXU
          >

          > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm still trying to get the radio to program from the computer using either CHIRP o VIM, but I can program manually on the radio. But somehow one of the attempts has locked me out of the 440 range and will not accept other than frequency ranges in the 240 range.. I haven't been able to find a way to change and reset dose not do it.

        • anbes
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
            --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" <donaldalms@...> wrote:

            > I'm still trying to get the radio to program from the computer using either CHIRP o VIM, but I can program manually on the radio. But somehow one of the attempts has locked me out of the 440 range and will not accept other than frequency ranges in the 240 range.. I haven't been able to find a way to change and reset dose not do it.

            I believe I have the same problem. Using VIP (or "custom" with other tab) software I couldn`t change the frequency range (as it was showed in another models). But using CHIRP I could do that!
          • anbes
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
              --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "john_k3nxu" <johnla@...> wrote:

              > Although both the factory software and CHIRP talk to the UV5R,
              > they are not totally compatible with each other.
              >
              > Altering the freqency range with one software May make the radio
              > Not compatible with the other software.
              >
              > To restore your radio back to factory, use the following
              > recovery procedure: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Recovery.html
              >
              > The UV5R is not capable of transmitting on 220MHz, even though the
              > factory shows it as an option.
              >
              > Please let us know your result...
              >
              > John K3NXU
              >

              > If you haven't already, check out the UV5R
              > USER's GUIDE: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UserGuide
              > and FAQ Page: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/FAQ
              >
              > The Guide will save you time and frustration.
              >
              > Enjoy your new Toy...

              I made that, didn`t work even. only in chirp
            • john_k3nxu
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
                The Latest Daily Build of CHIRP will accept a radio programmed with 220 MHz frequencies with no problem, even though the radio is not capable of operating there, so a CHIRP error is out of the equation.

                You mentioned that you can still program 220 but not 440 MHz.
                I still believe you need to follow the recovery procedure at
                http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Recovery.html

                Your issue appears to be coming from using the factory software and setting the range to accept 220 MHz.

                Using the Factory Software, you must open the options tab and do a read, change the uhf range back to 440, and write the radio from the options tab.
                Remove the 220 frequencies from the spreadsheet and save back to the radio.
                This should take care of the issue.

                Hope this helps.
                John K3NXU

                --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "anbes" <anbes@...> wrote:

                > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "john_k3nxu" <johnla@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Although both the factory software and CHIRP talk to the UV5R,
                > > they are not totally compatible with each other.
                > >
                > > Altering the freqency range with one software May make the radio
                > > Not compatible with the other software.
                > >
                > > To restore your radio back to factory, use the following
                > > recovery procedure: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Recovery.html
                > >
                > > The UV5R is not capable of transmitting on 220MHz, even though the
                > > factory shows it as an option.
                > >
                > > Please let us know your result...
                > >
                > > John K3NXU
                > >

                > > If you haven't already, check out the UV5R
                > > USER's GUIDE: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UserGuide
                > > and FAQ Page: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/FAQ
                > >
                > > The Guide will save you time and frustration.
                > >
                > > Enjoy your new Toy...
                > >
                > I made that, didn`t work even. only in chirp

              • Garry
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                  Well Chirp will program everything on my 297 except ctts encode tones. No mater what I set they always go back where they want too be. And I can't get the factory software to talk to my radio even though I have the cable recognized. Won't even read from the radio and the com port should be right. It is at the same 3 it is o Chirp. As I say everything looks god in chirp but the transmit ctts tones always revert back where they want.

                  Any Help.
                  Garry WB0NNO

                  --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "tenorman1952" <tenorman1952@...> wrote:

                  > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I'm still trying to get the radio to program from the computer using either CHIRP o VIM, but I can program manually on the radio. But somehow one of the attempts has locked me out of the 440 range and will not accept other than frequency ranges in the 240 range.. I haven't been able to find a way to change and reset dose not do it.
                  > >

                  > I just received a v.297 earlier this week and had no problem programming it via the lastest daily build of CHIRP.
                  >
                  > Paul - AE5JU

                • tenorman1952
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                    --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Garry" <garry.foster1@...> wrote:

                    > Well Chirp will program everything on my 297 except ctts encode tones. No mater what I set they always go back where they want too be. And I can't get the factory software to talk to my radio even though I have the cable recognized. Won't even read from the radio and the com port should be right. It is at the same 3 it is o Chirp. As I say everything looks god in chirp but the transmit ctts tones always revert back where they want.
                    >
                    > Any Help.
                    > Garry WB0NNO

                    I've had not problem with CHIRP and the v.297. All the tones are there just as I programmed them.

                    Perhaps you have an older version of CHIRP? The version on the front page of the Miklor site works with v.297, as does the latest daily build.

                    Paul - AE5JU
                  • Jim Unroe
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                      On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Garry <garry.foster1@...> wrote:

                      Well Chirp will program everything on my 297 except ctts encode tones. No mater what I set they always go back where they want too be. And I can't get the factory software to talk to my radio even though I have the cable recognized. Won't even read from the radio and the com port should be right. It is at the same 3 it is o Chirp. As I say everything looks god in chirp but the transmit ctts tones always revert back where they want.

                      Any Help.
                      Garry WB0NNO

                      Garry,

                      Two things that might help you...

                      1. There is more to setting up CHIRP for CTCSS/DCS than putting the values in the Tone, ToneSql, DTCS Code and DTCS RX Code columns. You also have to tell CHIRP which columns to use by making selections in the Tone Mode and Cross Mode columns. See the "CHIRP Guide" on the Miklor website for details.

                      Also, the latest CHIRP daily releases will try to preselect the correct Tone Mode/Cross Mode settings for you. So if you enter a CTCSS tone value in the Tone column, CHIRP will assume that you want a TX only tone and set Tone Mode to Tone. If you enter a CTCSS tone value in the ToneSql column, CHIRP will assume that you want the same tone for TX and RX and set Tone Mode to TSQL. But if you want an RX only tone or different tones for TX and RX, you will still have to manually configure Tone Mode and Cross Mode accordingly. The DTCS codes work similarly.

                      2. When you select a CTCSS tone value from the drop down selection, be sure to press enter or click in another cell to make the selection 'stick.' Otherwise, what you see may not be what you get. A quick way to check is to click on the [Go] button at the top of the Memories spreadsheet after making a selection. If the selection reverts back to the default value, then the value that you wanted wasn't set properly.

                      Jim KC9HI
                    • Garry
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                        Ok I got the sub audible working, it me I wasn't selecting "tone" in the column before you enter the ctts frequency..

                        Thanks for the attempts to help.

                        Garry

                        --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Garry" <garry.foster1@...> wrote:

                        > Well Chirp will program everything on my 297 except ctts encode tones. No mater what I set they always go back where they want too be. And I can't get the factory software to talk to my radio even though I have the cable recognized. Won't even read from the radio and the com port should be right. It is at the same 3 it is o Chirp. As I say everything looks god in chirp but the transmit ctts tones always revert back where they want.
                        >
                        > Any Help.
                        > Garry WB0NNO
                        >

                        > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "tenorman1952" <tenorman1952@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm still trying to get the radio to program from the computer using either CHIRP o VIM, but I can program manually on the radio. But somehow one of the attempts has locked me out of the 440 range and will not accept other than frequency ranges in the 240 range.. I haven't been able to find a way to change and reset dose not do it.
                        > > >

                        > > I just received a v.297 earlier this week and had no problem programming it via the lastest daily build of CHIRP.
                        > >
                        > > Paul - AE5JU

                      • Glenn M. Butterfield
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9, 2013
                          I had that problem too.  But once I deleted the information out of the channel in the program and typed it all back in, that memory had the tone the way I wanted it to be.

                          --- In mailto:baofeng_uv5r%40yahoogroups.com, "tenorman1952" <tenorman1952@...> wrote:

                          --- In mailto:baofeng_uv5r%40yahoogroups.com, "Donald" wrote:

                          > > I'm still trying to get the radio to
                          program from the computer using either CHIRP o VIM, but I can program manually on the radio. But somehow one of the attempts has locked me out of the 440 range and will not accept other than frequency ranges in the 240 range.. I haven't been able to find a way to change and reset dose not do it.

                          > I just received a v.297 earlier this week and had no problem
                          programming it via the lastest daily build of CHIRP.

                          > Paul -
                          AE5JU