Poll results for baofeng_uv5r

  • baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1 1:27 AM
      The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the
      final results:

      POLL QUESTION: To owners of a UV5R:

      Have you experienced actual problems with your radio, that indicates it defective?
      This does NOT include programming CABLE issues!

      CHOICES AND RESULTS
      - Yes., 12 votes, 12.77%
      - No, 82 votes, 87.23%

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r

    • Dave Gomberg
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1 8:28 AM
        At 01:27 2/1/2013, baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        >The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the final results:
        >POLL QUESTION: To owners of a UV5R:
        >Have you experienced actual problems with your radio, that indicates
        >it defective?
        >This does NOT include programming CABLE issues!
        >CHOICES AND RESULTS
        >- Yes., 12 votes, 12.77%
        >- No, 82 votes, 87.23%

        This is really sad. Even if the poll over-states the number of
        defective units substantially (because of bias, those with problems
        get active in the group, those with no problems don't), there seems
        to be a substantial number of junky units being shipped. Unless
        Baofeng steps up to this (free advance replacement, free return
        shipping) this company cannot survive with a 10% failure rate.

        --
        Dave Gomberg, San Francisco NE5EE Programming since 1961
        All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1 10:19 AM
          Companies around the world design, manufacture and ship products every day knowing 10% probably will fail sometime between when first used up to the time the warranty period ends. It's called B10 or L10 Life. That's why warranties are given, manufactures know some of the product they make will fail.

          Gary N9PTC

          >The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the final results:
          >POLL QUESTION: To owners of a UV5R:
          >Have you experienced actual problems with your radio, that indicates
          >it defective?
          >This does NOT include programming CABLE issues!
          >CHOICES AND RESULTS
          >- Yes., 12 votes, 12.77%
          >- No, 82 votes, 87.23%

          This is really sad. Even if the poll over-states the number of
          defective units substantially (because of bias, those with problems
          get active in the group, those with no problems don't), there seems
          to be a substantial number of junky units being shipped. Unless
          Baofeng steps up to this (free advance replacement, free return
          shipping) this company cannot survive with a 10% failure rate.

          --
          Dave Gomberg, San Francisco NE5EE Programming since 1961
          All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html
        • N4AOF
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1 11:00 AM
            An additional bias in the survey is that it did not consider that many
            people have more than one of these radios.

            If we were to assume that the AVERAGE respondent on this survey had two
            radios, then the "defective" rate would instantly drop to around 6-7%

            Also, there is a lot of room for opinion in the question. I would expect
            that some of the "defective" radios were nothing but operator error and/or
            the radio not being designed to do something the operator wanted; meanwhile
            I am sure that some people answered NO even thought they encountered minor
            problems that they did not consider important enough to classify the radio
            as "defective"

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1 11:38 AM
              At 10:19 2/1/2013, Gary N9PTC wrote:
              >Companies around the world design, manufacture and ship products
              >every day knowing 10% probably will fail sometime between when first
              >used up to the time the warranty period ends.

              That kind of failure rate is terrible. It might happen for cars,
              which are an incredibly complex product with manifold failure points,
              but I would bet 1st year failures of 10% are almost otherwise unheard of.

              >It's called B10 or L10 Life. That's why warranties are given,
              >manufactures know some of the product they make will fail.

              No, warranties are given to reassure consumers.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1 1:13 PM
                Go do a Google search and look at bearings. Bearings are used every where. Ten percent are expected top fail.

                I worked 40 years in sales for a couple large industrial distributors. Our repair shops were always busy repairing those failures under warranty. These not cheap Chinese mad products but from manufactures right here in the USA.

                Face it, 10% failure rate is a known fact to manufactures. We pay for it when we purchase the product.

                Have you ever watched a car race? Engines blow up in the first lap or a tire fails after a few laps. All one of those 10% expected failures.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1 1:34 PM
                  At 13:13 2/1/2013, Gary N9PTC wrote:
                  >Go do a Google search and look at bearings.

                  So you are talking about a car part? Like I said.
                  Electronics, appliances, most consumer products like a 1-2% failure
                  rate at most.
                  Maybe Baofeng belongs in the bearing business.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 1 3:13 PM
                    You didn't do a Google search, did you? If you had you would have understood. I used bearings as one example. Ok, enough is enough. I stated know facts whether it be bearings, electronic parts, a piston in your engine, some part in your home, etc. Remember a radio is made of hundreds, maybe thousands, of individual parts. It only takes one part to cause all the others not to work correctly. A resistor in one, a capacitor in the next, a bad solder joint, etc.

                    However you know all and just know that all those parts work 98% of the time. Live in your dream world and hopefully you'll never have to face reality.

                    End of thread as anyone really interest in the truth can find lots of info doing a Google search.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 17, 2013
                      The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the
                      final results:

                      POLL QUESTION: If the UV-5R was actually capable of both 2m and 222-225MHz,
                      would you buy one?

                      CHOICES AND RESULTS
                      - Yes, I would buy one., 51 votes, 56.04%
                      - No. I'll pass, 40 votes, 43.96%

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                        The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the
                        final results:

                        POLL QUESTION: IS UV5R IS A GOOD HT FOR $40

                        CHOICES AND RESULTS
                        - YES, 112 votes, 98.25%
                        - N0, 2 votes, 1.75%

                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r

                      • Barry OGrady
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 27, 2013
                          At 06:19 PM 27/05/2013, you wrote:

                          >The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the
                          >final results:
                          >
                          >POLL QUESTION: IS UV5R IS A IS GOOD IS HT IS FOR $400
                          >
                          >CHOICES AND RESULTS
                          >- YES, 1112 votes, 198.25%
                          >- N0, 2 votes, -1.75%

                          Interesting.
                        • baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 9, 2013
                            The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the
                            final results:

                            POLL QUESTION: If you ordered your UV-5R from 409shop, how many (business) days did it take to arrive? Subtract 2 days for each weekend unless it arrived on Saturday.

                            CHOICES AND RESULTS
                            - 3 days, 7 votes, 4.58%
                            - 4 days, 5 votes, 3.27%
                            - 5 days, 9 votes, 5.88%
                            - 6 days, 4 votes, 2.61%
                            - 7 days, 9 votes, 5.88%
                            - 8 days, 9 votes, 5.88%
                            - 9 days, 7 votes, 4.58%
                            - 10 days, 24 votes, 15.69%
                            - 11 days, 4 votes, 2.61%
                            - 12 days, 8 votes, 5.23%
                            - 13 days, 6 votes, 3.92%
                            - 14 days, 9 votes, 5.88%
                            - 15 days, 7 votes, 4.58%
                            - More than 15 days., 19 votes, 12.42%
                            - Still waiting, not yet 15 days., 26 votes, 16.99%

                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r

                          • FlorineD
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 11, 2013

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 12, 2013
                                The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the
                                final results:

                                POLL QUESTION: i have 2 uv5r do you?

                                CHOICES AND RESULTS
                                - no, 24 votes, 38.10%
                                - yes, 39 votes, 61.90%

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 13, 2013
                                  At 08:01 PM 12/12/2013, you wrote:

                                  >The following baofeng_uv5r poll is now closed. Here are the
                                  >final results:
                                  >
                                  >POLL QUESTION: i have 2 uv5r do you?

                                  That doesn't make sense.