Re: Baofeng UV5R Programming Problems

  • john_k3nxu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
      Mike,
      You may be using either wrong drivers or the wrong version software.
      Review: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r
      Especially the sections dedicated to Drivers, software and error messages.

      Let us know if this helps.
      John K3NXU

      If you haven't already, check out the UV5R
      USER's GUIDE: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UserGuide
      and FAQ Page: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/FAQ

      Enjoy your new Toy...

      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

      > Monday I purchased a new Baofeng UV5R radio along with the USB programming cable. I downloaded Baofengs latest PC software installed the correct driver and software in my XP computer. The program woulc not work. I tried the same with a Windows Vista and Windows 7 computers (2) along with the latest CHIRP program and all four computers and two programs will not work. After three days of frustration I found a improved programming instructions on the internet to program by hand. The problem now is after I program all of the paramaters in te radio and test the radio in the frequency mode it works well. After I save the information to the channel mode (memory) from the frequency mode it saves every channel as simplex. I have changed nothing other that save. What is the problem?
      >
      > Thanks, Mike Dewey
      > KC9AOM

    • Dave Gomberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
        At 11:26 1/24/2013, Mike wrote:
        >Monday I purchased a new Baofeng UV5R radio along with the USB
        >programming cable. I downloaded Baofengs latest PC software
        >installed the correct driver and software in my XP computer. The
        >program woulc not work. I tried the same with a Windows Vista and
        >Windows 7 computers (2) along with the latest CHIRP program and all
        >four computers and two programs will not work. After three days of
        >frustration I found a improved programming instructions on the
        >internet to program by hand. The problem now is after I program all
        >of the paramaters in te radio and test the radio in the frequency
        >mode it works well. After I save the information to the channel mode
        >(memory) from the frequency mode it saves every channel as simplex.
        >I have changed nothing other that save. What is the
        >problem? Thanks, Mike Dewey KC9AOM

        Read:
        USER GUIDE: www.miklor.com/uv5r/UserGuide
        .
        UV-5R FAQ: www.miklor.com/uv5r/FAQ
        .Yahoo! Groups Links

        Dave Gomberg, San Francisco NE5EE Programming since 1961
        All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html
      • Jim Unroe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
          Mike,
          You are not doing the second step.

          You first key the RX frequency into the VFO and save to an empty channel
          This creates a simplex channel
          Then you key the TX frequency into the VFO and save it to the same channel to update the TX frequency for repeater use

          If you have the VFO is setup and working, you can tap the [*/SCAN] key to put the UV-5R in 'reverse' mode. This will display the TX frequency and it can be used for the second step without keying it in.

          See the group home page for a link to the 'new user' guide. It is hosted on the Miklor website. I will provide you with links to the correct driver, instructions on how to install it. It also has links to the correct programming based on the firmware in your UV-5R.

          Jim KC9HI

          On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM, Dave Gomberg <dave1@...> wrote:

          At 11:26 1/24/2013, Mike wrote:
          >Monday I purchased a new Baofeng UV5R radio along with the USB
          >programming cable. I downloaded Baofengs latest PC software
          >installed the correct driver and software in my XP computer. The
          >program woulc not work. I tried the same with a Windows Vista and
          >Windows 7 computers (2) along with the latest CHIRP program and all
          >four computers and two programs will not work. After three days of
          >frustration I found a improved programming instructions on the
          >internet to program by hand. The problem now is after I program all
          >of the paramaters in te radio and test the radio in the frequency
          >mode it works well. After I save the information to the channel mode
          >(memory) from the frequency mode it saves every channel as simplex.
          >I have changed nothing other that save. What is the
          >problem? Thanks, Mike Dewey KC9AOM

          Read:
          USER GUIDE: www.miklor.com/uv5r/UserGuide
          .
          UV-5R FAQ: www.miklor.com/uv5r/FAQ
          .Yahoo! Groups Links

          Dave Gomberg, San Francisco NE5EE Programming since 1961
          All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html

        • freddelisi
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 24, 2013
            Mike, what problem are you encountering, exactly (when using the programming cable)? Does it not read the unit? The cables are particularly finicky, at best. They don't quite fit the radio, and have to have some of the plastic housing, trimmed away.

            If it's a program issue, use the VIP software (on the miklor site) for the correct build of radio (I'm guessing BFB297, based on the purchase date). If so, you need to use BF291 and above. If you do that and get a blinking screen, follow the direction for the flashing screen, and download the drivers. After those two installs, it's pretty easy going.

            As far as manual programming, what nobody seems to mention, is that you can't program the offset in frequency mode. It ignores it, all together, when you go to channel mode. You have to do the math yourself, when you create the transmit side.

            Go to frequency mode, enter the receive frequency and the PL codes. Save it to a channel. enter the transmit frequency (based on the offset and band) and save it to the same channel number as the last one. When you go back to channel mode, you'll see the repeaters broadcast frequency (your receive frquency). Tap the scan button to reverse the frequencies, and you should see your transmit frequency (the repeater's receive frequency).

            Hope that helps.

            -Fred
            KD2DHI