Re: Dissassembly

  • wb8grs
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 11, 2012
      Hi Leon,

      I'm not sure why Elan does not show the 44 pin verson of the EM78P568 on their website, maybe they only sell it to OEM manufactures under an NDA, but the Wouxun KG-UVD1 uses a EM78P568-44 MCU so it must exsist and the pinout of the EM78P568-44 used in the Wouxun KG-UVD1 matches the pinout of the MCU used in the UV-5R. Google "service-manual wouxun kg uvd1.pdf" and you can look at the service manual for the Wouxun KG-UVD1 and see the EM78P568-44. All the pins are labeled and they match the pins in the UV-5R.

      Of course it could still be a diferent MCU, but the functions of the EM78P568-44 makes it a leading canadate.

      73,
      Steve - WB8GRS

      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "Leon" <zs6lmg@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > The datasheet is on the elan site, EM78F568N.pdf
      >
      > The pinout is all wrong :(
      > The oscillator pins and Analog vdd does not match, I found the naming convention to match to a certain extent the toshiba chip, but the data sheet only shows a 32pin device tmp88ps38n.pdf
      >
      > The elan EM78567 has about a 90% match on pin names including things like P70/INT0 but the pinout is way off.
      >
      > I also checked all the abov devices, to no avail as the uv3r has a flash abov device in it.
      >
      > Any other ideas?
      >
      > 73
      > Leon
      > ZS6LMG
      >

      > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "wb8grs" <ssedgwick@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Kai,
      > >
      > > I can't be 100% sure, but it appears the MCU is a EM78P568-44.
      > >
      > > The pinout of the EM78P568-44 MCU matches the pinout of the MCU used in the schematic in the file section. The EM78P568-44 is the same MCU used in the Wouxun HT. Of course the firmware in the MCU used in the UV-5R and Wouxun are totally different. If you have time, please compare the UV-5R schematic with the Wouxun schematic available at the Wouxun Yahoo group. I have not been able to find a datasheet on the 44 pin version of this chip, but there is information on the web about the 100, 48 and 78 pin versions of this chip...
      > >
      > > 73,
      > > Steve - WB8GRS
      > >
      > > Can anyone confirm if the EM78P568-44 MCU is used in the UV-5R?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Steve - WB8GRS

    • russ_ka1ruw
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 12, 2012
        Hi Dave

        Great work you are doing.

        Is there any Thermo-Grease between the final/sil-pad/chassis?

        FWIW: It's great to see you and some others digging in and analyzing problems/faults/peculiarities.

        73
        Russ, ka1ruw

        --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I have no clue yet as to what I'm doing with the squelch. I think I only have a few signal paths to work with so I don't know what I'll be able to do. Gonna poke around with the scope and see what goes on and take it from there. I'd be happy to at least do something for the popping problem.
        >
        > Dave
        > kx3dx
        >
        > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "wb8grs" <ssedgwick@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Dave,
        > >
        > > Glad you can duplicate the problem with the unit open. I'm hoping it's a power supply problem that can be solved with a capacitor only. I agree, offsetting the reference oscillator maybe enough.
        > >
        > > What's your idea on the squelch? Are you thing of adding a bit of delay on the power supply feeding the audio chip or the squelch line on the DSP?
        > >
        > > There is another problem. The display becomes unreadable after the radio gets warm (15 minutes low power QSO makes my display unreadable). I can still read the display when the radio gets warm, but I have to tilt the rubber ducky antenna away from me and view the display from the bottom of the radio to be able to read the display. The viewing angle is changing with temperature. Maybe the LCD bias supplied from the HD44780 LCD driver IC can be adjusted?
        > >
        > > Yea, the picture is low res for some reason.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > 73
        > > Steve - WB8GRS
        > >
        > > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Steve,
        > > >
        > > > Got the radio apart, soldered a short antenna to it and got it powered up. Luckily, the VHF side still sings like bird. I have found quite a few hot spots and am able to quiet things down but I need to understand what's going on before I decide on a fix, or even try to solder something down. It appears to be layout related so maybe some negative feedback (neutralization) will help. Unfortunately that's two parts, an R and C, and I may have a tough time soldering these parts in. It won't be pretty. I'm also going to map the osc adj pin trim voltage to frequency just in case I decide to do anything about the receive offset, but honestly, the offset is not too bothersome with the xmitter adjusted 500hz low on UHF. I also want to see what I can do with the audio muting and squelch action. This could take a few weeks....
        > > >
        > > > Uploaded a pix from my phone. I'm not sure where I'm loosing all the resolution - is my phone scaling the pics or is Yahoo? If I get time, I'll try uploading from the computer.

      • WA0LHB_John
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 12, 2012
          Audio POP could be a normal thing. The audio amp is probably powered off when the squelch is closed; saves a lot of battery power that way. When the power comes back on then the voltage across the speaker rises and causes a pop. Just a guess.

          KB0NE

          --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@...> wrote:

          > Audio coming out of the SDR chip looks to be smoothly muted. The squelch open_signal coming from the SDR chip and going to the micro also looks nice. I think the pop appears when the squelch opens back up before VCC on the TDA2822 decays to zero (after being high from a previous squelch opening). I need to have more than one trace on the scope at one time but I don't have enough hands. Gonna have to solder tack test points on tomorrow.
          >
          > Dave
        • skarbows
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 12, 2012
            That is a good guess and that was mine too before I started to poke around. Yes, Vcc is applied to the audio chip only when the squelch flag goes high. I'm kinda amazed that the abrupt application of Vcc causes no pop, nor does the slow decay when the squelch closes. But what I think is happening, if the squelch opens back up while Vcc is slowly decaying, it makes a pop. Normal - yes, for the way the circuit is designed. But I don't like it, so Ill change it.

            Dave

            --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "WA0LHB_John" <wa0lhb@...> wrote:

            > Audio POP could be a normal thing. The audio amp is probably powered off when the squelch is closed; saves a lot of battery power that way. When the power comes back on then the voltage across the speaker rises and causes a pop. Just a guess.
            >
            > KB0NE
            >
            > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Audio coming out of the SDR chip looks to be smoothly muted. The squelch open_signal coming from the SDR chip and going to the micro also looks nice. I think the pop appears when the squelch opens back up before VCC on the TDA2822 decays to zero (after being high from a previous squelch opening). I need to have more than one trace on the scope at one time but I don't have enough hands. Gonna have to solder tack test points on tomorrow.
            > >
            > > Dave

          • wb8grs
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 18, 2012
              Hi Dave,

              Have been busy the last few days and I've not done a good job of keeping up with your progress.

              Did adding the 255 Ohm resistor to ground reduce the receiver sensitivity? If not, seem like a good solution to me!...

              The display issue is just a pain, not something that stops the radio from working. Not sure if there is a hardware fix for this issue, maybe a thermistor in the series or parallel with resistor R132 or R137 might compensate for the viewing angle shift due to temperature.

              Great stuff, thanks for all you are doing...

              73,
              Steve - WB8GRS

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Uploaded a pix from my phone. I'm not sure where I'm loosing all the resolution - is my phone scaling the pics or is Yahoo? If I get time, I'll try uploading from the computer.

            • wb8grs
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 18, 2012
                Hi Dave,

                Are they muting the audio in the DSP chip before it getting to the audio output chip, or are they muting the audio simply by turning off the DC voltage going to the audio output chip? If they are muting the audio in the DSP chip, maybe a time delay on removing the DC voltage to the audio chip will reduce the popping due to mobile flutter. Won't eliminate the problem completely, but would help on mobile flutter assuming the time delay is longer than the mobile flutter.

                73,
                Steve - WB8GRS

                --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@...> wrote:

                > That is a good guess and that was mine too before I started to poke around. Yes, Vcc is applied to the audio chip only when the squelch flag goes high. I'm kinda amazed that the abrupt application of Vcc causes no pop, nor does the slow decay when the squelch closes. But what I think is happening, if the squelch opens back up while Vcc is slowly decaying, it makes a pop. Normal - yes, for the way the circuit is designed. But I don't like it, so Ill change it.
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "WA0LHB_John" <wa0lhb@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Audio POP could be a normal thing. The audio amp is probably powered off when the squelch is closed; saves a lot of battery power that way. When the power comes back on then the voltage across the speaker rises and causes a pop. Just a guess.
                > >
                > > KB0NE
                > >
                > > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Audio coming out of the SDR chip looks to be smoothly muted. The squelch open_signal coming from the SDR chip and going to the micro also looks nice. I think the pop appears when the squelch opens back up before VCC on the TDA2822 decays to zero (after being high from a previous squelch opening). I need to have more than one trace on the scope at one time but I don't have enough hands. Gonna have to solder tack test points on tomorrow.
                > > >
                > > > Dave

              • skarbows
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 19, 2012
                  Steve,

                  I'm working on a short paper describing all the design changes I've been testing the last few days. Hope to upload it this weekend. I'm not sure how useful it will be. The changes are all physically difficult to implement, especially if you aren't good at working with micro SMT. Hand soldering 0402 SMT parts is tough.

                  Dave

                  --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "wb8grs" <ssedgwick@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Dave,
                  >
                  > Are they muting the audio in the DSP chip before it getting to the audio output chip, or are they muting the audio simply by turning off the DC voltage going to the audio output chip? If they are muting the audio in the DSP chip, maybe a time delay on removing the DC voltage to the audio chip will reduce the popping due to mobile flutter. Won't eliminate the problem completely, but would help on mobile flutter assuming the time delay is longer than the mobile flutter.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Steve - WB8GRS
                  >

                  > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "skarbows" <dskarbow@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > That is a good guess and that was mine too before I started to poke around. Yes, Vcc is applied to the audio chip only when the squelch flag goes high. I'm kinda amazed that the abrupt application of Vcc causes no pop, nor does the slow decay when the squelch closes. But what I think is happening, if the squelch opens back up while Vcc is slowly decaying, it makes a pop. Normal - yes, for the way the circuit is designed. But I don't like it, so Ill change it.
                  > >
                  > > Dave
                  > >
                  > > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "WA0LHB_John" <wa0lhb@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Audio POP could be a normal thing. The audio amp is probably powered off when the squelch is closed; saves a lot of battery power that way. When the power comes back on then the voltage across the speaker rises and causes a pop. Just a guess.
                  > > >
                  > > > KB0NE

                • wb8grs
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 19, 2012
                    Hi Dave,

                    Fantastic, can't wait to see your results. I appreciate all the information you have shared with the group.

                    I don't go looking for projects that require soldering 0402 parts. I have done it, but I'm not always successful the first time, hihi

                    73,
                    Steve - WB8GRS