uv-5ra bfb293 no tx

  • nuipukawai
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
      Well, I was hoping to solve this without asking but....Just got 2 new UV-5RA, one with BFR291 and the other with 293. CHIRPed both with the latest build and channels are installed OK. But the 293 radio doesn't seem to TX. Radio beeps when PTT is depressed, but no red lite or repeater response. All the menu settings are the same as my other 3 radios. Any ideas? Thanks, Aloha, Steve WH6DZP.

      ps- anyone thinking about the 5RE model: the case is a bit rounder and smoother than my 5R+, which is nice, but the LCD is recessed in the case and the window is smaller which makes it harder to read...$13 cheaper though...
    • Jim Unroe
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
        Stever,

        Some how we need to figure out what is causing this. It is happening far too many radios lately.

        My suggestion requires using the Baofeng VIP software for BFB291 firmware and above, Visit http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ for links.

        Launch the software. Depending on the version you installed, you may have to switch it to English. Now click the Other tab. At the Other menu click the Read button. After a successful read, make sure that 'Limit frequency range' for VHF0 and UHF0 are set to the 'Max frequency range' shown and the 'Allow transmit' tick boxes are ticked. Now click the Write button to write the changes back the UV-5R.

        Let us know how this works out.

        Jim KC9HI

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 1, 2012
          Well Jim, thanks for your reply. This is what I did: using the VIP s/w, I uploaded the previously programmed (CHIRP)channel info and it all looked good on the VIP spreadsheet. Went to the "other" tab and adjusted the UHF max to 520, both of the transmit boxes were checked, and checked the "allow over 480 to transmit" box. Filled in the power-on message boxes with something cool, and uploaded the batch to the radio, which seemed to work according to the flashing green light and the s/w prompts. But no custom power-on message and still no TX...Aloha, Steve WH6DZP

          --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@...> wrote:

          > Stever,
          >
          > Some how we need to figure out what is causing this. It is happening far
          > too many radios lately.
          >
          > My suggestion requires using the Baofeng VIP software for BFB291 firmware
          > and above, Visit http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ for links.
          >
          > Launch the software. Depending on the version you installed, you may have
          > to switch it to English. Now click the Other tab. At the Other menu click
          > the Read button. After a successful read, make sure that 'Limit frequency
          > range' for VHF0 and UHF0 are set to the 'Max frequency range' shown and the
          > 'Allow transmit' tick boxes are ticked. Now click the Write button to write
          > the changes back the UV-5R.
          >
          > Let us know how this works out.
          >
          > Jim KC9HI
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:48 AM, nuipukawai <stevep2p@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Well, I was hoping to solve this without asking but....Just got 2 new
          > > UV-5RA, one with BFR291 and the other with 293. CHIRPed both with the
          > > latest build and channels are installed OK. But the 293 radio doesn't seem
          > > to TX. Radio beeps when PTT is depressed, but no red lite or repeater
          > > response. All the menu settings are the same as my other 3 radios. Any
          > > ideas? Thanks, Aloha, Steve WH6DZP.
          > >
          > > ps- anyone thinking about the 5RE model: the case is a bit rounder and
          > > smoother than my 5R+, which is nice, but the LCD is recessed in the case
          > > and the window is smaller which makes it harder to read...$13 cheaper
          > > though...

        • Jim Unroe
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
            You have change menu 38 (PONMSG) from FULL to MSG so the power-messages will be displayed at power up instead of the full LCD test.

            So even in VFO mode TX is inhibited? Like if you enter 146.520 and set menu 25 to OFF you still can't transmit?
            Jim KC9HI

            On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:13 AM, nuipukawai <stevep2p@...> wrote:

            Well Jim, thanks for your reply. This is what I did: using the VIP s/w, I uploaded the previously programmed (CHIRP)channel info and it all looked good on the VIP spreadsheet. Went to the "other" tab and adjusted the UHF max to 520, both of the transmit boxes were checked, and checked the "allow over 480 to transmit" box. Filled in the power-on message boxes with something cool, and uploaded the batch to the radio, which seemed to work according to the flashing green light and the s/w prompts. But no custom power-on message and still no TX...Aloha, Steve WH6DZP

            --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@...> wrote:

            > Stever,
            >
            > Some how we need to figure out what is causing this. It is happening far
            > too many radios lately.
            >
            > My suggestion requires using the Baofeng VIP software for BFB291 firmware
            > and above, Visit http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ for links.
            >
            > Launch the software. Depending on the version you installed, you may have
            > to switch it to English. Now click the Other tab. At the Other menu click
            > the Read button. After a successful read, make sure that 'Limit frequency
            > range' for VHF0 and UHF0 are set to the 'Max frequency range' shown and the
            > 'Allow transmit' tick boxes are ticked. Now click the Write button to write
            > the changes back the UV-5R.
            >
            > Let us know how this works out.
            >
            > Jim KC9HI
            >
            > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:48 AM, nuipukawai <stevep2p@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **

            > > Well, I was hoping to solve this without asking but....Just got 2 new
            > > UV-5RA, one with BFR291 and the other with 293. CHIRPed both with the
            > > latest build and channels are installed OK. But the 293 radio doesn't seem
            > > to TX. Radio beeps when PTT is depressed, but no red lite or repeater
            > > response. All the menu settings are the same as my other 3 radios. Any
            > > ideas? Thanks, Aloha, Steve WH6DZP.
            > >
            > > ps- anyone thinking about the 5RE model: the case is a bit rounder and
            > > smoother than my 5R+, which is nice, but the LCD is recessed in the case
            > > and the window is smaller which makes it harder to read...$13 cheaper
            > > though...

          • nuipukawai
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
              menu 38- on MSG,
              menu 25- set to OFF
              still no TX on VFO or Channel...
              I'm using VIP v120725
              I saw dafish's posting on same problem and noted that when I hit the "other" tab the "allow transmit" boxes are checked, but "softly" and I can't uncheck them. I left the frequencies as standard. I also don't seem to have a "read" or "write" option from the "other" tab as he describes...I did Menu 40 "reset all" and still no TX. Hate to jump to the conclusion that I have a bad radio. Wished I had tested it before attempting programming...As always, thanks for your help. Aloha, Steve, WH6DZP

            • Jim Unroe
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                What do you mean? There aren't three buttons on the bottom of the Other menu, Read, Write and Close?

                I don't have a UV-5R with BFB291 or newer firmware, but I have the software for it installed. V12.07.25 has the 3 buttons available and they do work (just not with my UV-5R). If your doesn't, then I would suggest that you download it again. All you need is the one without the installer and just replace the .exe file.

                Jim KC9HI

              • John
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Steve,
                  You are using the wrong software.

                  What you are describing is found in the older BFB290 and prior software.

                  Check the bottom of the main page. You are using v12.07.06
                  You need to run v12.07.25

                  You can find the proper software at:
                  http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Software.html

                  Please let us know the result.

                  John K3NXU

                • John Leahy
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Steve,

                    Also when you first connect I would suggest that you go to the Program Menu and Read From Radio before you continue.  This sets up the software (I believe) to accept the BFB radio.  After that you should be good to go.

                    JL

                    .
                    Many of life's failures are people who
                    did not realize how close they were to
                    success when they gave up.
                           Thomas A. Edison

                    What you are describing is found in the older BFB290 and prior software.

                    Check the bottom of the main page. You are using v12.07.06
                    You need to run v12.07.25

                    You can find the proper software at:
                    http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Software.html

                    Please let us know the result.

                    John    K3NXU

                    --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@...> wrote:

                    > What do you mean? There aren't three buttons on the bottom of the Other
                    > menu, Read, Write and Close?
                    >
                    > I don't have a UV-5R with BFB291 or newer firmware, but I have the software
                    > for it installed. V12.07.25 has the 3 buttons available and they do work
                    > (just not with my UV-5R). If your doesn't, then I would suggest that you
                    > download it again. All you need is the one without the installer and just
                    > replace the .exe file.
                    >
                    > Jim KC9HI
                    >
                    > On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM, nuipukawai <stevep2p@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > menu 38- on MSG,
                    > > menu 25- set to OFF
                    > > still no TX on VFO or Channel...
                    > > I'm using VIP v120725
                    > > I saw dafish's posting on same problem and noted that when I hit the
                    > > "other" tab the "allow transmit" boxes are checked, but "softly" and I
                    > > can't uncheck them. I left the frequencies as standard. I also don't seem
                    > > to have a "read" or "write" option from the "other" tab as he describes...I
                    > > did Menu 40 "reset all" and still no TX. Hate to jump to the conclusion
                    > > that I have a bad radio. Wished I had tested it before attempting
                    > > programming...As always, thanks for your help. Aloha, Steve, WH6DZP
                    > >

                    > > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > You have change menu 38 (PONMSG) from FULL to MSG so the power-messages
                    > > > will be displayed at power up instead of the full LCD test.
                    > > >
                    > > > So even in VFO mode TX is inhibited? Like if you enter 146.520 and set
                    > > menu
                    > > > 25 to OFF you still can't transmit?
                    > > > Jim KC9HI

                    > > s/w, I
                    > > looked
                    > > UHF
                    > > "allow
                    > > work
                    > > custom

                    > > far

                    > > firmware

                    > > have
                    > > click
                    > > frequency
                    > > and

                    > > new
                    > > the
                    > > doesn't
                    > > repeater
                    > > Any

                    > > and
                    > > cheaper

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        baofeng_uv5r-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        baofeng_uv5r-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • nuipukawai
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Shoot, John, I was hoping it was that easy. Bottom page reads v12.07.25. Still not getting the options described by others on "other" menu, but went to "options" on the "edit" tab and changed a few things, although I couldn't seem to get access to the last 1/3rd of that page....Still no TX. Grrrrrrr....Aloha, Steve WH6DZP

                      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnla@...> wrote:

                      > Steve,
                      > You are using the wrong software.
                      >
                      > What you are describing is found in the older BFB290 and prior software.
                      >
                      > Check the bottom of the main page. You are using v12.07.06
                      > You need to run v12.07.25
                      >
                      > You can find the proper software at:
                      > http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Software.html
                      >
                      > Please let us know the result.
                      >
                      > John K3NXU
                      >

                      > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > What do you mean? There aren't three buttons on the bottom of the Other
                      > > menu, Read, Write and Close?
                      > >
                      > > I don't have a UV-5R with BFB291 or newer firmware, but I have the software
                      > > for it installed. V12.07.25 has the 3 buttons available and they do work
                      > > (just not with my UV-5R). If your doesn't, then I would suggest that you
                      > > download it again. All you need is the one without the installer and just
                      > > replace the .exe file.
                      > >
                      > > Jim KC9HI
                      > >
                      > > On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM, nuipukawai <stevep2p@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > menu 38- on MSG,
                      > > > menu 25- set to OFF
                      > > > still no TX on VFO or Channel...
                      > > > I'm using VIP v120725
                      > > > I saw dafish's posting on same problem and noted that when I hit the
                      > > > "other" tab the "allow transmit" boxes are checked, but "softly" and I
                      > > > can't uncheck them. I left the frequencies as standard. I also don't seem
                      > > > to have a "read" or "write" option from the "other" tab as he describes...I
                      > > > did Menu 40 "reset all" and still no TX. Hate to jump to the conclusion
                      > > > that I have a bad radio. Wished I had tested it before attempting
                      > > > programming...As always, thanks for your help. Aloha, Steve, WH6DZP

                      > > > menu

                      > > > s/w, I
                      > > > looked
                      > > > UHF
                      > > > "allow
                      > > > work
                      > > > custom

                      > > > far

                      > > > firmware

                      > > > have
                      > > > click
                      > > > frequency
                      > > > and

                      > > > new
                      > > > the
                      > > > doesn't
                      > > > repeater
                      > > > Any

                      > > > and
                      > > > cheaper

                    • nuipukawai
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                        Well, I'm starting to think I've got a bad radio. Even when I go back to factory settings I get no TX. Wouldn't that indicate a problem radio? Aloha, Steve, WH6DZP

                        --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "nuipukawai" <stevep2p@...> wrote:

                        > Shoot, John, I was hoping it was that easy. Bottom page reads v12.07.25. Still not getting the options described by others on "other" menu, but went to "options" on the "edit" tab and changed a few things, although I couldn't seem to get access to the last 1/3rd of that page....Still no TX. Grrrrrrr....Aloha, Steve WH6DZP
                        >
                        > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnla@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Steve,
                        > > You are using the wrong software.
                        > >
                        > > What you are describing is found in the older BFB290 and prior software.
                        > >
                        > > Check the bottom of the main page. You are using v12.07.06
                        > > You need to run v12.07.25
                        > >
                        > > You can find the proper software at:
                        > > http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Software.html
                        > >
                        > > Please let us know the result.
                        > >
                        > > John K3NXU
                        > >

                        > > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > What do you mean? There aren't three buttons on the bottom of the Other
                        > > > menu, Read, Write and Close?
                        > > >
                        > > > I don't have a UV-5R with BFB291 or newer firmware, but I have the software
                        > > > for it installed. V12.07.25 has the 3 buttons available and they do work
                        > > > (just not with my UV-5R). If your doesn't, then I would suggest that you
                        > > > download it again. All you need is the one without the installer and just
                        > > > replace the .exe file.
                        > > >
                        > > > Jim KC9HI

                      • Jim Unroe
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                          No. All RESET does is set the menus back to default and clears the channels. This is in no way a factory reset.

                          Your best bet right now is to get a CHIRP image file from a working UV-5R with same firmware version an upload it to your HT.
                          Jim KC9HI

                        • nuipukawai
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                            Thanks Jim. Of my 4 radios, this is the only one with 293. Do you think the image from the 291 will work? I'll try it later when I'm not so tired of dealing with the poor thing....Aloha, Steve WH6DZP

                          • nuipukawai
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                              Guess I couldn't wait. I copied the image from the functioning 291 radio using both CHIRP and VIP to the 293 radio and still no joy. There's always tomorrow....Aloha, Steve WH6DZP

                            • Jim Unroe
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                I would NOT try it. This might be contributing to the TX inhibit problem. At this point, I'm thinking that CHIRP images for BFB291 and BFB293 are not compatible and should not be traded between the firmware versions.

                                What I would try, using the OEM VIP software would be access the Other menu and 'Read' from a working BFB291 radio. Then switch to the BFB293 radio and 'Write' to it.

                                Do this all from the Other menu. It is different from the 'Program|Read from radio' and 'Program|Write to radio' menus.

                                Jim KC9HI

                              • Scott, KB3JQQ
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                  --- On Sat, 11/3/12, nuipukawai <stevep2p@...> wrote:

                                  > Shoot, John, I was hoping it was that
                                  > easy. Bottom page reads v12.07.25.  Still not getting
                                  > the options described by others on "other" menu, but went to
                                  > "options" on the "edit" tab and changed  a few things,
                                  > although I couldn't seem to get access to the last 1/3rd of
                                  > that page....Still no TX.  Grrrrrrr....Aloha, Steve

                                  What is your screen resolution? I use 1024x768 as a minimum
                                  and all the rest are at 1280x1024. Everything fits on my screen.
                                • pottersailor
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                    Thanks Jim, I think you saved my radio! I was having this problem, but couldn't fix it as you described because my "Allow Transmit" checkboxes were grayed out. I tried checking the box below which said "More than 480 MHz to allow transmit", uploaded to the radio, and now mine will transmit!

                                    --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@...> wrote:

                                    > Stever,
                                    >
                                    > Some how we need to figure out what is causing this. It is happening far
                                    > too many radios lately.
                                    >
                                    > My suggestion requires using the Baofeng VIP software for BFB291 firmware
                                    > and above, Visit http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ for links.
                                    >
                                    > Launch the software. Depending on the version you installed, you may have
                                    > to switch it to English. Now click the Other tab. At the Other menu click
                                    > the Read button. After a successful read, make sure that 'Limit frequency
                                    > range' for VHF0 and UHF0 are set to the 'Max frequency range' shown and the
                                    > 'Allow transmit' tick boxes are ticked. Now click the Write button to write
                                    > the changes back the UV-5R.
                                    >
                                    > Let us know how this works out.
                                    >
                                    > Jim KC9HI
                                    >
                                    > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:48 AM, nuipukawai <stevep2p@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > **
                                    > >

                                    > > Well, I was hoping to solve this without asking but....Just got 2 new
                                    > > UV-5RA, one with BFR291 and the other with 293. CHIRPed both with the
                                    > > latest build and channels are installed OK. But the 293 radio doesn't seem
                                    > > to TX. Radio beeps when PTT is depressed, but no red lite or repeater
                                    > > response. All the menu settings are the same as my other 3 radios. Any
                                    > > ideas? Thanks, Aloha, Steve WH6DZP.
                                    > >
                                    > > ps- anyone thinking about the 5RE model: the case is a bit rounder and
                                    > > smoother than my 5R+, which is nice, but the LCD is recessed in the case
                                    > > and the window is smaller which makes it harder to read...$13 cheaper
                                    > > though...

                                  • Jim Unroe
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                      Glad you have your UV-5R working again.

                                      I have never seen the Other menu without the 'Allow transmit' checkboxes greyed out. Someone else within the last few days said something about ticking them so I thought it could be a BFB291 or BFB293 thing that happens after a 'Read'. I just have to guess since I only have a BFB231 radio available here.

                                      The "More than 480 MHz to allow transmit" is something that is available on the VIP for BFB291+ software only.

                                      Would you remind us what UV-5R model you have, it's firmware version and what you might have been doing when the TX lock happened (power on key press or upload to radio)? If it was and upload to the radio, was the source image from another firmware version?

                                      Thanks in advance,
                                      Jim KC9HI

                                      On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM, pottersailor <pottersailor@...> wrote:

                                      Thanks Jim, I think you saved my radio! I was having this problem, but couldn't fix it as you described because my "Allow Transmit" checkboxes were grayed out. I tried checking the box below which said "More than 480 MHz to allow transmit", uploaded to the radio, and now mine will transmit!

                                      --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@...> wrote:

                                      > Stever,
                                      >
                                      > Some how we need to figure out what is causing this. It is happening far
                                      > too many radios lately.
                                      >
                                      > My suggestion requires using the Baofeng VIP software for BFB291 firmware
                                      > and above, Visit http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ for links.
                                      >
                                      > Launch the software. Depending on the version you installed, you may have
                                      > to switch it to English. Now click the Other tab. At the Other menu click
                                      > the Read button. After a successful read, make sure that 'Limit frequency
                                      > range' for VHF0 and UHF0 are set to the 'Max frequency range' shown and the
                                      > 'Allow transmit' tick boxes are ticked. Now click the Write button to write
                                      > the changes back the UV-5R.
                                      >
                                      > Let us know how this works out.
                                      >
                                      > Jim KC9HI
                                      >
                                      > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:48 AM, nuipukawai <stevep2p@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > **
                                      > >

                                      > > Well, I was hoping to solve this without asking but....Just got 2 new
                                      > > UV-5RA, one with BFR291 and the other with 293. CHIRPed both with the
                                      > > latest build and channels are installed OK. But the 293 radio doesn't seem
                                      > > to TX. Radio beeps when PTT is depressed, but no red lite or repeater
                                      > > response. All the menu settings are the same as my other 3 radios. Any
                                      > > ideas? Thanks, Aloha, Steve WH6DZP.
                                      > >
                                      > > ps- anyone thinking about the 5RE model: the case is a bit rounder and
                                      > > smoother than my 5R+, which is nice, but the LCD is recessed in the case
                                      > > and the window is smaller which makes it harder to read...$13 cheaper
                                      > > though...

                                    • pottersailor
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                        My UV-5R is the plain model, firmware version 293, and I messed it up by uploading an image made from a different model, a UV-5RE I think, which had firmware version 291. The image I uploaded was made using Chirp daily build version 20121019 running under Ubuntu. I uploaded the image to my radio using Chirp version 20121019 running under Ubuntu also. During the upload, I was running the live CD with Chirp included which I downloaded as an iso from Sourceforge. My friend's Ubuntu is loaded on his harddisk.
                                        I haven't yet tested the radio much, but at first glance, it seems to be off frequency a little when transmitting.
                                        William
                                        KD4RLT

                                      • Jim Unroe
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                          Thanks William,
                                          Jim

                                          On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM, pottersailor <pottersailor@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                          > > MHz to allow transmit", uploaded to the radio, and now mine will transmit!
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In baofeng_uv5r@yahoogroups.com, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Stever,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Some how we need to figure out what is causing this. It is happening far
                                          > > > too many radios lately.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > My suggestion requires using the Baofeng VIP software for BFB291 firmware
                                          > > > and above, Visit http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/ for links.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Launch the software. Depending on the version you installed, you may have
                                          > > > to switch it to English. Now click the Other tab. At the Other menu click
                                          > > > the Read button. After a successful read, make sure that 'Limit frequency
                                          > > > range' for VHF0 and UHF0 are set to the 'Max frequency range' shown and
                                          > > the
                                          > > > 'Allow transmit' tick boxes are ticked. Now click the Write button to

                                        • nuipukawai
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                            OMG! BRING ON THE TV REMOTE! Sorry, got a little excited...My radio now is programmed as desired and TRANSMITS to boot! A little recap and what I found.
                                            UV-5RA, BFB293, wouldn't transmit with CHIRP programming. At some point uploaded a chirp image to the radio which might not have helped (?).
                                            As suggested I tried to use the VIP v12.07.25. Still wouldn't work because in my Windows 7- screen resolution set at max (lowering didn't help)- the "other" and "options" pages wouldn't show completely- I couldn't see or expand the window to see the "read" or "write" buttons at the bottom. I tried to program from my other computer-XP- and got full view of the r/w tabs. I believe the channels I loaded were entered manually and not from a previous CHIRP-sourced image, but not sure. So I think the no-TX bugaboo came from me not being able to write the "other" menu- including the "tx over 420mhz"-checked box- to the radio, which I'm now guessing has to be done separately from the channel image upload. BTW, as stated before, it's twin, but 291, radio programmed great with CHIRP. Thanks all- because of all your great support, I didn't want to "let you down" so kept at it. In the words of our friend Thomas Edison: "Most unsuccessful people don't know how close they were to success before they quit". Mahalo Nui Loa, Aloha, Steve, WH6DZP

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 3, 2012
                                              Steve,
                                              Thanks for the report of success. Also thanks for the details surrounding the issue. This will be helpful for assisting others.
                                              Jim KC9HI