Thursday, July 7: first BAOC summer training (not the last?)

  • Rex Winterbottom
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2011
      Golly gee, guys, it looks like I sent this to myself a week or two ago and not the BAOC list, so it missed getting on the website and email announcement and whatnot...
      did this ever get out???
      -Rex

      Thursday, July 7:

      Enjoy a fun tour of "Water Dog" park in Belmont and the surrounding neighborhoods. It's a hilly park with a fairly dense trail network and mostly thick chaparral and forest off-trail. Thus, travel will be on roads and trails. Fortunately, the topography and trail network make for interesting route choices, especially given that it's a score-O format - get the checkpoints in any order. There will be 7 checkpoints, and you can go for as many as you like. To get them all is about 6 miles measured by an optimum route with about 300-400 meters of climb. Since the event center is a pizza place, the social is built right in - stay and enjoy company after doing your course! Map is 1:10000 scale based on the OpenStreetMap.org map with a few trail fixes and 20 foot USGS contours added in.

      Schedule:
      6:00 Registration open, you can start early if you like
      6:30 Mass start option
      although, you can start later if you like
      7:30 Mass finish option
      although, you can finish later if you like
      8:30 It's probably dark
      10:00 Village Host closes

      Registration, start, and finish:
      Village Host Pizza & Grill
      1017 Alameda de las Pulgas
      Belmont, CA 94602
      http://www.yelp.com/biz/village-host-pizza-and-grill-belmont-2

      directions: U.S. Highway 101 to Ralston Ave., Belmont, go southwest (towards the hills, away from the bay) on Ralston, cross El Camino Real, left on Alameda de las Pulgas, first left into shopping center.

      public transit: Belmont Caltrain station. It's about 1.3 miles on Ralston Ave. towards the hills to the shopping center at Alameda de las Pulgas.

      Thanks to Nancy Lindeman for working with the staff at Village Host to get an event center.

      Could someone please put this on the website?
      Thanks,
      Rex
      510-681-6181

      p.s. No other BAOC summer training sessions are scheduled yet. You are encouraged to keep this going. Design a fun map exercise with a local park, street map, USGS, orienteering map, OpenStreetMap... if anything seems hard, get help from me! Please contact me if you have a date you're free and an area in mind and I'm happy to help arrange everything. I have lots of experience doing all aspects of events.