Re: [banksias] banksia 4

  • b.a.uijtewaal
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 16, 2006
      Steve,

      I'm still intending to post some photos to the files section but never got to do so.
      Some of my pics are 2 mB in size, wouldn't that be too large to load for most members, especially the ones without broadband? Do you reckon I should reduce them before adding?

      Liesbeth.
      Date: 01/14/06 21:59:30

      Anthony,
      Thanks for sharing you beautiful pics with us all, they are amazing shots, and the area you took them - I will one day look forward to seeing for myself.
      Cheers and I would support Margaret with her suggestion of filing them in the Yahoo banksia group web pages.

      Jim.
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 17, 2006
        IMO- In my opinion
        IMHO- In my humble opinion
        On 17/01/2006, at 19:06, Michael Forster wrote:

        Hi Liesbeth,

        lol means "laugh out loud" - it's actually internet lingo, not Aussie per se, and just means you find something amusing. But when you see LOL that means you are really laughing out loud, sitting there chuckling to yourself. I reckon one day there will be a Oxford dictionary out there with all this stuff in it....

        I'm still trying to work out IMO myself :-\    I hope it's not too rude....

        And yes those photos were good, thanks Antony

        "b.a.uijtewaal" <b.a.uijtewaal@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        Thanks a lot for your lovely pics Antony, it feels like being back in WA... Some pics look a lot like the ones I took back in October, it's great to see a flowering baxteri since they were just budding up then.
        Fitzgerald River NP is a must indeed, fantastic place for Proteaceae.
        I was lucky enough to stay for some days at Banksia Farm, the place you referred to in Mt Barker. All banksias there are amazing indeed, plus loads of dryandras.

        BTW, what does "lol" mean? I thought I knew some Aussie expressions but never saw this one.

        Groetjes
        Liesbeth (Netherlands)
        If you have dial up, in settings you can actually turn off messages over a certain amount, eg 500k. That's what happens in a lot of other forums, but I put them in the photo section.

        If you want me to email you some pics of a particular species let me know and I'll send you a few.

        Going to WA and seeing all these banksias growing like weeds makes me want to move there lol

        There is a also a banksia nursery at mnt barker, it was closed, but the guy has all 77 species of banksias growing and a nursery, pretty amazing.

        Antony

        Thanks for sharing you beautiful pics with us all, they are amazing shots, and the area you took them - I will one day look forward to seeing for myself.
        Cheers and I would support Margaret with her suggestion of filing them in the Yahoo banksia group web pages.

        Jim.
        Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

        Yahoo! Photos
        Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

        To unsubscribe, email:

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Antony
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 17, 2006
          Hi,

          Can you actually grow banksias in Holland, in greenhouses I presume?

          Antony

          Thanks for your answer. As it happens lol is a Dutch word too meaning........ fun!
          Can't help you with IMO, sorry.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 18, 2006
            --- In banksias@yahoogroups.com, "b.a.uijtewaal"
            <b.a.uijtewaal@w...> wrote:

            > Steve,
            >
            > I'm still intending to post some photos to the files section but
            never got to do so.
            > Some of my pics are 2 mB in size, wouldn't that be too large to
            load for most members, especially the ones without broadband? Do you
            reckon I should reduce them before adding?

            > Liesbeth.

            Hi Liesbeth
            2 mb files might stretch the friendship a little bit with the
            membership!!!
            You really don't want to exceed 300kb or so.
            I use Irfanview, which is a free to download program off the
            internet.
            The images are easily reduced, the file size being as large as the
            size you choose to show.

            By opening your photo file in Irfanview, it's a simple matter of
            clicking onto image, then clicking onto resize/resample. A box will
            open giving different image sizes and options. I select 1280 x 960
            for larger, detailed images [ about 300kb], or 1024 x 768 for
            smaller images [ around 100kb ]. There are other methods of reducing
            file size, but these are the simplest ways to do so I find.
            Looking forward to seeing some photos of 'your charges'!!

            Best wishes Steve
          • b.a.uijtewaal
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 19, 2006
              Thanks Steve, I'll let you know when I've figured out how to add photos to the group files.

              Liesbeth.
              > I'm still intending to post some photos to the files section but
              never got to do so.
              > Some of my pics are 2 mB in size, wouldn't that be too large to
              load for most members, especially the ones without broadband? Do you
              reckon I should reduce them before adding?

              > Liesbeth.

              Hi Liesbeth
              2 mb files might stretch the friendship a little bit with the
              membership!!!
              You really don't want to exceed 300kb or so.
              I use Irfanview, which is a free to download program off the
              internet.
              The images are easily reduced, the file size being as large as the
              size you choose to show.

              By opening your photo file in Irfanview, it's a simple matter of
              clicking onto image, then clicking onto resize/resample. A box will
              open giving different image sizes and options.  I select 1280 x 960
              for larger, detailed images [ about 300kb], or  1024 x 768 for
              smaller images [ around 100kb ]. There are other methods of reducing
              file size, but these are the simplest ways to do so I find.
              Looking forward to seeing some photos of 'your charges'!!

              Best wishes Steve

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.