PHP Meet update

  • Amit Rana
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2008
      Hello Everyone,

      First of all thanks to followig people for coming and making it a
      very interesting PHP-meet
      Pradeep cofounder mapunity, Sandeep - 6 months with PHP, Karthik-
      works in SAP domain, Shyamal - co-fouder TechJini, Amal - final year
      BE, php enthusiast, Avidnyat - 3 years PHP, Ankur - 3 years php,
      Vijesh - interested in php

      - While waiting for others we had an interesting discussion on what
      IDEs we use and everyone briefly explained whats good in their IDE.
      Eclipse, Zend, VI, Html Design 2000 (is that right?)
      - After everybody joined we started with brief introductions and what
      areas/applications people are working on.
      - There was a very interesting discussion on why not or why should
      php be used for 'mission critical' applications. Shyamal did have
      tough time convincing Pradeep as to what he thinks is 'mission
      critical' :)
      - Pradeep introduced as to easter eggs (http://www.0php.com/
      php_easter_egg.php)
      - Ankur talked about how to build pages for mobile. Some of the
      interesting resources he mentioned were http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/
      and mobilerunner.net
      - There was a brief discussion on why we use frameworks and their
      advantages.
      - There was lot of discussion on future of php bangalore community.
      How we can contribute back? Need and interest to have a set goal for
      the community.

      Action items:
      - In order to make meetups more appealing and to build community
      -- Have fixed agenda, announce in advance. (responsibility - Amit)
      -- Setting up an online space where we can upload tutorials etc
      -- Hacking sessions or design tear down sessions
      -- Building a php resource center. Programmers still do not know what
      tools to use to solve specific problems in php. Build a knowledge
      base.
      -- Meet once a month, discuss on list to find best date.
    • thisistrinath
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2008
        Nice to know that the meeting has taken place, humble it might have
        been, but it has started which is good. I cannot attend them because I
        live in NYC. As for hosting things like tutorials etc. Its a good
        thought and you can use googlepages.com for free hosting. And as for
        topics on meetings, I wrote a list few days back, if you haven't seen
        it you can see it at http://yerra.trinadh.googlepages.com/phpsessions.html
      • Amit Rana
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 16, 2008
          > it you can see it at http://yerra.trinadh.googlepages.com/
          phpsessions.html
          Good list, is there a way for others to change it? If no, shall we
          use a wiki? I am not aware of any free wiki hosting sites if there
          are none we are happy to host it on our servers. Comments?

          Other topics:
          - Creating pages that work both on web and mobile - Ankur
          - Frameworks and symfony - Ved/Avidnyat/Amit
          - Writing automated test cases (may be lime or phpunit?)

          I would also like to gather ideas for code marathon. May be we can
          start with creating some 'common component' that every uses. I am
          sure really common ones would already be available online.
          - Template based email sending with special attention to debugging
          and i18n

          I will start another thread or create a page on wiki for deciding
          next meetup date.

          comments are welcome

          Regards,
          Amit.

          --- In bang-phpug@yahoogroups.com,
          "thisistrinath" <thisistrinath@...> wrote:

          > Nice to know that the meeting has taken place, humble it might have
          > been, but it has started which is good. I cannot attend them
          because I
          > live in NYC. As for hosting things like tutorials etc. Its a good
          > thought and you can use googlepages.com for free hosting. And as for
          > topics on meetings, I wrote a list few days back, if you haven't
          seen
          > it you can see it at http://yerra.trinadh.googlepages.com/
          phpsessions.html

        • thisistrinath
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 20, 2008
            Hello Friends,
            Last time I was asked that if the list provided by me on PHP
            topics is wiki enabled? Now I have created our own wikispace at
            http://bang-phpug.wikispaces.com/
            To avoid spam, I have kept it to protective mode meaning only members
            can edit it. So whoever wants to join the wiki can do so by giving me
            their email id. Here its a great place for us to create our own
            tutorials and discussions.