The web pages in production are being run twice.

  • guruj_r
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2008

      We are recently facing few problems. The background of us is
      We are currently built a website which will serve the users to get
      in and buy something from the site. Also we have option for the user
      to get in and place their advertisement (selling their car,
      truck, ...). We are facing the issue that all records have been
      created twice (meaning page has been run twice only in production),
      whereas in our dev environment, we are able to create records
      clearly even now...

      We are struck in this portion. The application is on
      production (and the request from the users are being handled through
      web farms), so we need to find the solution as soon as possible.
      Please let us know if anyone knows anything related to that or test
      scenarios to test ....

      Our doubt is whether this is due to web farm or some other
      thing which causes this issue...

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,
      Guru
    • ganu.ullu@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2008
        hello,

        is your production env. have load balancers. where your apllication is put
        up into multiple servers and served via load balancer. if yes check that
        too.

        check your apache server logs.

        On 1/9/08, guruj_r <guruj_r@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > We are recently facing few problems. The background of us is
        > We are currently built a website which will serve the users to get
        > in and buy something from the site. Also we have option for the user
        > to get in and place their advertisement (selling their car,
        > truck, ...). We are facing the issue that all records have been
        > created twice (meaning page has been run twice only in production),
        > whereas in our dev environment, we are able to create records
        > clearly even now...
        >
        > We are struck in this portion. The application is on
        > production (and the request from the users are being handled through
        > web farms), so we need to find the solution as soon as possible.
        > Please let us know if anyone knows anything related to that or test
        > scenarios to test ....
        >
        > Our doubt is whether this is due to web farm or some other
        > thing which causes this issue...
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Guru

      • guruj_r
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008

          Thanks for your time in responding us...

          I am also not aware of load balancers and Apache server logs. I
          think our client is using web farms and serving the request by load
          balancers.

          1. Can you know where and what to check in Load balancers as
          well as Apache to know that the program is served only once and
          everything is perfect?

          2. Also can we get the server name from where the program is
          served - so that it may be used for debugging.

          I also have few tips on this problem,
          The issue of page running twice is happened only when it is
          submitted or redirected from a page. If we type the url directly in
          the browser and hit Enter, the page is run only once. This has been
          captured thro insert statements wrote in the program. Another beauty
          is the user does not know / realize that the page is run twice.
          Meaning we have found the issue of running twice only due to
          insertion of records.

          Thanks in advance,

          Regards,
          Guru.
        • ganu.ullu@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
            Hello,

            you can be rite bcoz the most common applications of load balancing is to
            provide a single internet service from multiple servers, sometimes known as
            a server farm

            now If we see your problem , you are saying only in production the page runs
            for 2 times not in your dev box. This is clear case that your page/pages are
            served 2 times, but in your dev box that is served only once.

            You can just debug the page, For debugging this kind of problem you can use

            - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3829 ( Live HTTP
            Header ) so you can View HTTP headers of a page and while browsing.
            - Else you can see your apache server log and after parsing you can
            find , this page is served from where and with what details.
            - write some dummy page and test that. (with query insert) in your
            production server.
            - if there is a load balancer then I think the DB is also at two place
            and something like master and slave kind of setting must be there. (so if
            you say its inserting 2 times, then the DB object is called 2 times from
            diff-diff sertvers and executed. something like that ) -- this is just the
            thought.

            since the load balancer is just the technique so the debug is only the
            solution of this kind of issues.

            IF you find the solution, please update in the group, its good issue to
            discuss.

            ThanQ.
            Ganu.