Re: [bang-phpug] Retrieving Client IP address of Website visitors - Not Proxy/ISP address

  • Silvio Garbes
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2007
      You can use cookie.

      2007/11/23, Anand Subramanian <axsubram@...>:

      > Hi,
      >
      > What is the best way to get the IP address of the client machine of the
      > website visitor?
      > We tried a few options, but in most cases we are getting the address from
      > the ISP/Proxy such that we get the same address for multiple machines in our
      > office.
      >
      > We are trying to build a voting page and want to do duplicate checking
      > (not too scientific, but decent) using IP addresses. Please help how to get
      > differnet IP addresses for machines even though they use the same proxy or
      > ISP?
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > Anand

      Cordialmente,

      Sílvio Garbes Lara
      MSN: silvio007@...
      Site: www.silviogarbes.com.br
      Email/GTalk: silviogarbes@...
      Second Life: garbes sperber

    • Tapan Shah
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2007
        Cookies is the only option.

        IP addresses of people behind proxy or on an intranet cannot be live and
        will easily duplicate with others..

        On Nov 23, 2007 4:45 PM, Silvio Garbes <silviogarbes@...> wrote:

        > You can use cookie.
        >
        > 2007/11/23, Anand Subramanian <axsubram@... <axsubram%40yahoo.com>>:
        >

        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > What is the best way to get the IP address of the client machine of the
        > > website visitor?
        > > We tried a few options, but in most cases we are getting the address
        > from
        > > the ISP/Proxy such that we get the same address for multiple machines in
        > our
        > > office.
        > >
        > > We are trying to build a voting page and want to do duplicate checking
        > > (not too scientific, but decent) using IP addresses. Please help how to
        > get
        > > differnet IP addresses for machines even though they use the same proxy
        > or
        > > ISP?
        > >
        > > thanks
        > >
        > > Anand

        > Cordialmente,
        >
        > Sílvio Garbes Lara
        > MSN: silvio007@... <silvio007%40hotmail.com>
        > Site: www.silviogarbes.com.br
        > Email/GTalk: silviogarbes@... <silviogarbes%40gmail.com>
        > Second Life: garbes sperber

        Tapan Shah
        http://www.tapan.in/
        http://www.assetonline.in/

      • Sarana Gathaya
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2007
          I went some web site. http://www.jayalanka.com It gave me my office machine real ip address.

          Visit it and check is it correct for your machine.

          Tapan Shah <tapsboy@...> wrote: Cookies is the only option.

          IP addresses of people behind proxy or on an intranet cannot be live and
          will easily duplicate with others..

          On Nov 23, 2007 4:45 PM, Silvio Garbes <silviogarbes@...> wrote:

          > You can use cookie.
          >
          > 2007/11/23, Anand Subramanian <axsubram@... <axsubram%40yahoo.com>>:
          >

          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > What is the best way to get the IP address of the client machine of the
          > > website visitor?
          > > We tried a few options, but in most cases we are getting the address
          > from
          > > the ISP/Proxy such that we get the same address for multiple machines in
          > our
          > > office.
          > >
          > > We are trying to build a voting page and want to do duplicate checking
          > > (not too scientific, but decent) using IP addresses. Please help how to
          > get
          > > differnet IP addresses for machines even though they use the same proxy
          > or
          > > ISP?
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >
          > > Anand

          > Cordialmente,
          >
          > Sílvio Garbes Lara
          > MSN: silvio007@... <silvio007%40hotmail.com>
          > Site: www.silviogarbes.com.br
          > Email/GTalk: silviogarbes@... <silviogarbes%40gmail.com>
          > Second Life: garbes sperber

          Tapan Shah
          http://www.tapan.in/
          http://www.assetonline.in/

        • Tapan Shah
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
            It gives proxy IP only, the proxy being the one in my office, which is again
            dynamically given by the ISP and thus not permanent.

            It is not practical or useful to get the machine IP, which are mostly dummy.

            On Nov 26, 2007 10:32 AM, Sarana Gathaya <saranagathaya@...> wrote:

            > I went some web site. http://www.jayalanka.com It gave me my office
            > machine real ip address.
            >
            > Visit it and check is it correct for your machine.
            >
            > Tapan Shah <tapsboy@... <tapsboy%40gmail.com>> wrote: Cookies is the
            > only option.
            >

            > IP addresses of people behind proxy or on an intranet cannot be live and
            > will easily duplicate with others..
            >
            > On Nov 23, 2007 4:45 PM, Silvio Garbes <silviogarbes@...<silviogarbes%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > You can use cookie.
            > >
            > > 2007/11/23, Anand Subramanian <axsubram@... <axsubram%40yahoo.com><axsubram%40yahoo.com>>:
            > >

            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > What is the best way to get the IP address of the client machine of
            > the
            > > > website visitor?
            > > > We tried a few options, but in most cases we are getting the address
            > > from
            > > > the ISP/Proxy such that we get the same address for multiple machines
            > in
            > > our
            > > > office.
            > > >
            > > > We are trying to build a voting page and want to do duplicate checking
            > > > (not too scientific, but decent) using IP addresses. Please help how
            > > get
            > > > differnet IP addresses for machines even though they use the same
            > proxy
            > > or
            > > > ISP?
            > > >
            > > > thanks
            > > >
            > > > Anand

            > > --
            > > Cordialmente,
            > >
            > > Sílvio Garbes Lara
            > > MSN: silvio007@... <silvio007%40hotmail.com><silvio007%40hotmail.com>
            > > Site: www.silviogarbes.com.br
            > > Email/GTalk: silviogarbes@... <silviogarbes%40gmail.com><silviogarbes%40gmail.com>
            > > Second Life: garbes sperber

            > Tapan Shah
            > http://www.tapan.in/
            > http://www.assetonline.in/

            Tapan Shah
            http://www.tapan.in/
            http://www.assetonline.in/

          • Anand Subramanian
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
              We now have a combination of IP and cookie, but both have holes - as the IP is not fully correct , if there is a way to get both the proxy IP and machine IP then we can probably use that combination.
              As for cookies - users can easily disable cookies or just delete them.

              So, what are the solutions for a voting site to avoid duplicates (although not completely atleast to best extent possible)?

              thanks

              Anand

              On Nov 26, 2007 10:32 AM, Sarana Gathaya <saranagathaya@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              > I went some web site. http://www.jayalank a.com It gave me my office
              > machine real ip address.
              >
              > Visit it and check is it correct for your machine.
              >
              > Tapan Shah <tapsboy@gmail. com <tapsboy%40gmail. com>> wrote: Cookies is the
              > only option.
              >

              > IP addresses of people behind proxy or on an intranet cannot be live and
              > will easily duplicate with others..
              >
              > On Nov 23, 2007 4:45 PM, Silvio Garbes <silviogarbes@ gmail.com<silviogarbes% 40gmail.com> >
              > wrote:
              >
              > > You can use cookie.
              > >
              > > 2007/11/23, Anand Subramanian <axsubram@yahoo. com <axsubram%40yahoo. com><axsubram% 40yahoo.com> >:
              > >

              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > What is the best way to get the IP address of the client machine of
              > the
              > > > website visitor?
              > > > We tried a few options, but in most cases we are getting the address
              > > from
              > > > the ISP/Proxy such that we get the same address for multiple machines
              > in
              > > our
              > > > office.
              > > >
              > > > We are trying to build a voting page and want to do duplicate checking
              > > > (not too scientific, but decent) using IP addresses. Please help how
              > > get
              > > > differnet IP addresses for machines even though they use the same
              > proxy
              > > or
              > > > ISP?
              > > >
              > > > thanks
              > > >
              > > > Anand

              > > > Get easy, one-click access to your favorites.
              > > > Make Yahoo! your homepage.
              > > > http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

              > > --
              > > Cordialmente,