Architecture to save on each page on a train of pages in PHP

  • axsubram
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007

      We are building a series of pages for a client.
      For e.g. to user will enter a few details in the first page, select
      some photos in the 2nd, enter additional details in the 3rd and then
      preview and submit the complete information.

      When the user hits continue on each page, we want to save the
      information to mysql db.
      Currently what we are trying to do is to write the insert code/insert
      statements on the next page. For e.g once user hits continue on Page
      1, page 2 is executed and on Page 2 we try to save the details of
      Page 1.

      I feel this might not be the only way to save information in PHP. I
      would be more comfortable saving the Page 1 detiails in PAge 1 itself
      in order to handle errors/exceptions neatly. Anyone has any
      ideas/suggestions on how to do this ?

      Thanks

      Anand
    • mithun mandal
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2007
        I think there is too many way to save information in multi-page forms.

        1. using hidden input field in your form. which will minimize bug too. if you think about data leakage then encrypt the data in hidden field.

        2. You can save data in session and pass session id to the page (not necessary as session set cookie too.)

        3. Database also useful but there is a problem. think that your client go through 1st and 2nd page and he didn't fill up the 3rd form and cancel the operation. then you just put some data into database which does not contain any useful business information except occupying some web space.

        i think this will help you.

        regards
        Mithun Mandal

[...]

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o {font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq {margin:4;}
        -->

        Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/

      • Anand Subramanian
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2007
          Hi Mithun & Others,

          Thanks a lot for the answers. As the pages are separate (and optional) by each other, we do store to the db at the end of each page.

          My concern is regarding where the code to store the page information resides - In Page 1 or PAge 2.
          For e.g. in Page 1 user enters values and hits continue button, This brings up page 2. Currently the code to store values from PAge 1 actually resides in PAge 2. Is this the best approach?

          Is there any approach by which I can have the code to store page 1 values in Page 1 itself ?

          Thanks a lot

          Anand

[...]

          #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
          #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}
          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height: 1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family: Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family: Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top: 10px;font- family:Verdana; font-size: 77%;margin: 0;}
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;margin: 25px 0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
          .bld{font-weight: bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family: Verdana;font- size:77%; padding:15px 0;}
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family: verdana;font- size:77%; border-top: 1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom: 10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color: #e0ecee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px;}
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type: none;clear: both;border: 1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight: bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration: none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration: underline; }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font- size:77%; }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;background- color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type: square;padding: 6px 0;font-size: 77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration: none;font- size:130% ;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color: #eee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:0 8px;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration: none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration: underline; }