Re: How to check the Site is UP or DOWN

  • Anees
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
      hi leulogy,Jayasurian ,Vinu

      thanks for ur help
      i think i can find a good and proper solution from ur ideas

      thanks for ur help
      Anees Muhammed
      ___________

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
        I will not support this strategy, assuming you will be
        checking every 5 mins you do not want to end up eating
        so much bandwidth and add to server traffic.
        You should not make GET/POST request, try for HEAD

        my 2 cents.

        --- Vinu wrote --

        Anees,

        Here's how the program would look:

        <?php
        // Your Domain to check
        $site = "www.vinuthomas. com";

        // Port to check - Default port 80 for webserver
        // You can check other ports by changing the
        // value of $port
        $port = 80;

        $fp = fsockopen($site, $port,$errno, $errstr,10) ;
        if(!$fp)
        {
        echo "Cannot connect to server";
        // you can send your notification mail here.
        }else{
        echo "Connect was successful - no errors";
        fclose($fp);
        }

        ?>

        The script connects to port 80, the default web port
        and sees if it
        can connect. If a connection is successful, the
        webserver is
        functional.

        Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
      • Amit Rana
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
          Yes, this is another good idea. There are other things
          you need to keep in mind when checking for website's
          health for eg. db is up or not, if db is up is it
          responding or not (if its out of connections then even
          if db is up it might not be responding.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
            hi Amith

            please let me know how i can do the same with HEAD.

            Anees Muhammed
            ___________

[...]

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}