Re: [bang-phpug] How to check the Site is UP or DOWN

  • Jayasurian
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
      hi Anees,
      why dont you use CURL ? Hit the url. Check the header response .
      Thats all :)

      jayasurian123...

      Anees wrote:

      > Hi Friends,
      >
      > I want to write a script that checks a particular site is UP or not
      > if not it will display an error message to notifiy the site is down.
      >
      > Any Idea to do dis using PHP?
      > (i think we can go by sending request to the Port, but it will not be
      > possible if the data resides in some Dynamically assigned IP system)
      > Please Help
      >
      > Anees Muhammed
    • Anees
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
        hi leulogy,Jayasurian ,Vinu

        thanks for ur help
        i think i can find a good and proper solution from ur ideas

        thanks for ur help
        Anees Muhammed
        ___________

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
          I will not support this strategy, assuming you will be
          checking every 5 mins you do not want to end up eating
          so much bandwidth and add to server traffic.
          You should not make GET/POST request, try for HEAD

          my 2 cents.

          --- Vinu wrote --

          Anees,

          Here's how the program would look:

          <?php
          // Your Domain to check
          $site = "www.vinuthomas. com";

          // Port to check - Default port 80 for webserver
          // You can check other ports by changing the
          // value of $port
          $port = 80;

          $fp = fsockopen($site, $port,$errno, $errstr,10) ;
          if(!$fp)
          {
          echo "Cannot connect to server";
          // you can send your notification mail here.
          }else{
          echo "Connect was successful - no errors";
          fclose($fp);
          }

          ?>

          The script connects to port 80, the default web port
          and sees if it
          can connect. If a connection is successful, the
          webserver is
          functional.

          Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
        • Amit Rana
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
            Yes, this is another good idea. There are other things
            you need to keep in mind when checking for website's
            health for eg. db is up or not, if db is up is it
            responding or not (if its out of connections then even
            if db is up it might not be responding.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
              hi Amith

              please let me know how i can do the same with HEAD.

              Anees Muhammed
              ___________

[...]

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}