Re: [bang-phpug] How to check the Site is UP or DOWN

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
      Anees,

      Most web hosting is on static IP address. In any case, in the script
      if you don't have to put in the IP address. Just put in the domain
      name of your site. That will resolve your domain to the ip which your
      provider gives you for the site.

      When you connect to a site on the browser, it uses the port 80 on the
      server to acccess your site. So if the port 80 for your domain is not
      accessible, that would mean that even your browser won't be able to
      show the pages of your site.

      -------------------------------
      www.vinuthomas.com
      blogs.vinuthomas.com

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
        hi Anees,
        why dont you use CURL ? Hit the url. Check the header response .
        Thats all :)

        jayasurian123...

        Anees wrote:

        > Hi Friends,
        >
        > I want to write a script that checks a particular site is UP or not
        > if not it will display an error message to notifiy the site is down.
        >
        > Any Idea to do dis using PHP?
        > (i think we can go by sending request to the Port, but it will not be
        > possible if the data resides in some Dynamically assigned IP system)
        > Please Help
        >
        > Anees Muhammed
      • Anees
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
          hi leulogy,Jayasurian ,Vinu

          thanks for ur help
          i think i can find a good and proper solution from ur ideas

          thanks for ur help
          Anees Muhammed
          ___________

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
            I will not support this strategy, assuming you will be
            checking every 5 mins you do not want to end up eating
            so much bandwidth and add to server traffic.
            You should not make GET/POST request, try for HEAD

            my 2 cents.

            --- Vinu wrote --

            Anees,

            Here's how the program would look:

            <?php
            // Your Domain to check
            $site = "www.vinuthomas. com";

            // Port to check - Default port 80 for webserver
            // You can check other ports by changing the
            // value of $port
            $port = 80;

            $fp = fsockopen($site, $port,$errno, $errstr,10) ;
            if(!$fp)
            {
            echo "Cannot connect to server";
            // you can send your notification mail here.
            }else{
            echo "Connect was successful - no errors";
            fclose($fp);
            }

            ?>

            The script connects to port 80, the default web port
            and sees if it
            can connect. If a connection is successful, the
            webserver is
            functional.

            Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
          • Amit Rana
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
              Yes, this is another good idea. There are other things
              you need to keep in mind when checking for website's
              health for eg. db is up or not, if db is up is it
              responding or not (if its out of connections then even
              if db is up it might not be responding.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
                hi Amith

                please let me know how i can do the same with HEAD.

                Anees Muhammed
                ___________

[...]

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}