Re: [bang-phpug] How to check the Site is UP or DOWN

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2007
      Anees,

      Here's how the program would look:

      <?php
      // Your Domain to check
      $site = "www.vinuthomas.com";

      // Port to check - Default port 80 for webserver
      // You can check other ports by changing the
      // value of $port
      $port = 80;

      $fp = fsockopen($site,$port,$errno,$errstr,10);
      if(!$fp)
      {
      echo "Cannot connect to server";
      // you can send your notification mail here.
      }else{
      echo "Connect was successful - no errors";
      fclose($fp);
      }

      ?>

      The script connects to port 80, the default web port and sees if it
      can connect. If a connection is successful, the webserver is
      functional.

      -------------------------------
      www.vinuthomas.com
      blogs.vinuthomas.com

      On 6/13/07, Anees <anees_muhd@...> wrote:

      > Hi Friends,
      >
      > I want to write a script that checks a particular site is UP or not
      > if not it will display an error message to notifiy the site is down.
      >
      > Any Idea to do dis using PHP?
      > (i think we can go by sending request to the Port, but it will not be possible if the data resides in some Dynamically assigned IP system)
      > Please Help
      >
      > Anees Muhammed
      > ___________
    • Anees
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
        Hi Vinu,
        Thanks for ur response!!!

        But
        Do u think it will work when the site resides on a static IP based server system structure?

        let me clear.

        wen i took some space from any provider
        the IP which they are given is not the real one wer the data will store..
        so in such cases wen we check the port 80 of that IP address..it may not be exist and will giv a error in connection message.. right???

        Anees Muhammed
        ___________

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
          Anees,

          Most web hosting is on static IP address. In any case, in the script
          if you don't have to put in the IP address. Just put in the domain
          name of your site. That will resolve your domain to the ip which your
          provider gives you for the site.

          When you connect to a site on the browser, it uses the port 80 on the
          server to acccess your site. So if the port 80 for your domain is not
          accessible, that would mean that even your browser won't be able to
          show the pages of your site.

          -------------------------------

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2007
            hi Anees,
            why dont you use CURL ? Hit the url. Check the header response .
            Thats all :)

            jayasurian123...

            Anees wrote:

            > Hi Friends,
            >
            > I want to write a script that checks a particular site is UP or not
            > if not it will display an error message to notifiy the site is down.
            >
            > Any Idea to do dis using PHP?
            > (i think we can go by sending request to the Port, but it will not be
            > possible if the data resides in some Dynamically assigned IP system)
            > Please Help
            >
            > Anees Muhammed
          • Anees
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 14, 2007
              hi leulogy,Jayasurian ,Vinu

              thanks for ur help
              i think i can find a good and proper solution from ur ideas

              thanks for ur help
              Anees Muhammed
              ___________

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
                I will not support this strategy, assuming you will be
                checking every 5 mins you do not want to end up eating
                so much bandwidth and add to server traffic.
                You should not make GET/POST request, try for HEAD

                my 2 cents.

                --- Vinu wrote --

[...]

                Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
              • Amit Rana
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
                  Yes, this is another good idea. There are other things
                  you need to keep in mind when checking for website's
                  health for eg. db is up or not, if db is up is it
                  responding or not (if its out of connections then even
                  if db is up it might not be responding.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 17, 2007
                    hi Amith

                    please let me know how i can do the same with HEAD.

                    Anees Muhammed

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 18, 2007
                      If you want to go the HEAD way:
                      man curl