Downloading images with a PHP script

  • thisistrinath
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2007
      I am making a search engine( you heard it right)(mainly for India and
      then US, because it will lack the video and maps search initially).
      Everything is fine about the searching HTML files and other
      formats(because of compression method that I use to save them), but
      the real problem is with the images.

      First of all, I don't know how to download images on web with a PHP
      script. Say, if I use
      file_get_contents(http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif)
      and display the content in a web page, all I am getting is a code
      which I don't understand. I think that is the GIF format.
      But the question I am asking is how to show it back as an image on a
      web page? (and also help me changing its size as I cannot show it as
      is in the results)

      Please answer anything you know on this. Anything will be helpful.
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2007
        You'll also have to send the right headers to the browser from the
        server. For example for a gif image you'd have to send the following
        header before you stream the image content through file_get_contents.

        header("Content-type: image/gif");

        --- In bang-phpug@yahoogroups.com, "thisistrinath" <thisistrinath@...>
        wrote:

        > I am making a search engine( you heard it right)(mainly for India and
        > then US, because it will lack the video and maps search initially).
        > Everything is fine about the searching HTML files and other
        > formats(because of compression method that I use to save them), but
        > the real problem is with the images.
        >
        > First of all, I don't know how to download images on web with a PHP
        > script. Say, if I use
        > file_get_contents(http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif)
        > and display the content in a web page, all I am getting is a code
        > which I don't understand. I think that is the GIF format.
        > But the question I am asking is how to show it back as an image on a
        > web page? (and also help me changing its size as I cannot show it as
        > is in the results)
        >
        > Please answer anything you know on this. Anything will be helpful.

      • CS Shyam Sundar
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2007
          Hey.,

          May be, try this:

          let the image downloading php script be: myimagedownloader.php

          let it take a parameter called url. Therefore it becomes:
          myimagedownloader.php?url=http://a.b.com/img.gif

          in your main php file, wherever you want to display the image let it be <
          img src = myimagedownloader.php?url=http://a.b.com/img.gif > < / img >

          Note: For security reasons, check the url parameter to allow only gif, jpg,
          etc., else XSS, Cookie Stealing attacks may be done

          --
          CS Shyam Sundar

          "In our world of game and con: there is always an opponent and there is
          always a victim. The trick: is to know when you're the latter, so you can
          become the former."