connecting to a mail server

  • gantasireesha
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007
      hi
      i try connecting to the mail server(GMail) using fsockopen like this

      if (getmxrr(gmail.com, $MXHost)) {
      $ConnectAddress = $MXHost[0];
      } else {
      $ConnectAddress = $Domain;
      }
      $Connect = fsockopen($ConnectAddress,80);//portnumber=80

      this program when run in linux diaplays a warning like connection is
      refused and timeout.

      is this port number correct?how to know the correct port number for this?
    • CS Shyam Sundar
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2007
        Dude.,

        Gmail's mail server is very much different from other mail server.

        They use SSL. They run their POP3 server in port 995 and SMTP runs in port
        465. All require SSL.

        Also., the usernames must end as @...

        ---

        If you want Gmail API : You can use libgmailer. [
        http://gmail-lite.sourceforge.net/wordpress/index.php/about/libgmailer/ ]

        --
        CS Shyam Sundar

        "In our world of game and con: there is always an opponent and there is
        always a victim. The trick: is to know when you're the latter, so you can
        become the former."