Smarty template problem

  • Prashanth H
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2007
      i am doing a project in PHP and am using "smarty template system" . The time
      eater in my project is fetching data from database. Is there a way by which
      i can prevent this database fetching. I know i can use is_cached() and
      prevent this
      /**********************************/
      <?php
      require('Smarty.class.php');
      $smarty = new Smarty;

      $smarty->caching = 1;

      if(!$smarty->is_cached('cat_display.tpl')) {
      // No cache available, do variable assignments here.
      $contents = get_database_contents();
      $smarty->assign($contents);
      }

      $smarty->display('cat_display.tpl');
      ?>
      /*******************************************/
      but in my case
      i have 10 categories but same php file and same template file

      http://www.example.com/cat_display.php?catid=3
      http://www.example.com/cat_display.php?catid=4

      and so on.....
      all these have different outputs, is there a way to cache this output???

    • Viswanath Somanchi
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2007
        Hi ,

        Bettwer use XML based reports which are faster

        On 1/16/07, Prashanth H <hprashi.blore@...> wrote:

        > i am doing a project in PHP and am using "smarty template system" . The
        > time
        > eater in my project is fetching data from database. Is there a way by
        > which
        > i can prevent this database fetching. I know i can use is_cached() and
        > prevent this
        > /**********************************/
        > <?php
        > require('Smarty.class.php');
        > $smarty = new Smarty;
        >
        > $smarty->caching = 1;
        >
        > if(!$smarty->is_cached('cat_display.tpl')) {
        > // No cache available, do variable assignments here.
        > $contents = get_database_contents();
        > $smarty->assign($contents);
        > }
        >
        > $smarty->display('cat_display.tpl');
        > ?>
        > /*******************************************/
        > but in my case
        > i have 10 categories but same php file and same template file
        >
        > http://www.example.com/cat_display.php?catid=3
        > http://www.example.com/cat_display.php?catid=4
        >
        > and so on.....
        > all these have different outputs, is there a way to cache this output???

      • ansar ansar
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2007
          Hi Prashanth,

          Except database content rest of the static content in the template like images etc can be cached. Even u can cache the database content and clear the cache when database is updated. If u have 10 category then you should have 10 cache file holding 10 category content, cache file name : cache_categoryid_name or as you wish, but you should be careful and delete the cache file when database is updated if db is updated once per day then u might have cron job set to delete the cache file.

          Regards,
          Ansar Ahmed

          /*********** ********* ********* *****/

          /*********** ********* ********* ********* *****/

          but in my case

          i have 10 categories but same php file and same template file

          http://www.example com/cat_display. php?catid= 3

          http://www.example com/cat_display. php?catid= 4

          and so on.....

          all these have different outputs, is there a way to cache this output???

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;