search in alphabetical order

  • vijaya lakshmi
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2012
      hi,

      Please guide me on how to code to search elements from database
      in alphabetical order.

      If we click on A all items starting from A get displayed.

      --
      Thanks & Regards
      VijayalakshmiPrasanna

    • Sudheer Satyanarayana
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2012
        On Friday 23 March 2012 06:29 PM, vijaya lakshmi wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > Please guide me on how to code to search elements from database
        > in alphabetical order.
        >
        > If we click on A all items starting from A get displayed.

        The answer is in your question. :)

        When you click on A, make a query such that it retrieves elements from
        database that start with A.

        Okay, let's break the problem down into pieces.
        1. Make 26 links labeled A through Z. In the generated URL, have a GET
        parameter to indicate the label. For example:
        example.com/mypage?selected_alphabet=D
        2. Use the selected alphabet in your query.
        "SELECT my_column FROM my_table WHERE my_search_column LIKE '?%'",
        $_GET['selected_alphabet']
        3. Print the returned result.

        You will have to think through the steps. Key points you have to
        consider are:
        1. How to retrieve the information from the database given an alphabet.
        2. How to generate the alphabet links. There are many styles of doing
        it. Decide yours.
        3. How to put it all together.

        --

        With warm regards,
        Sudheer. S

      • Madamchetanji Sundari
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2012
          thanks . you will be informed in detail about your query please . thanks
          and regards . have a nice day .