408 Error

  • ravi
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 2010
      Hi all,

      I have a mass mailing php module which sends out 200 mails per execution.

      In each iteration, I'm sending mail -> updating tables in db -> sleeping for 6 sec -> continue;

      When i tried to run this script on live server, i got this error:

      408 Request Time-out
      This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'.

      Can anyone help me figure out where could be the issue?
      Thanks,
      Ravi
    • Sudheer Satyanarayana
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2010
        On 12/23/2010 08:00 PM, ravi wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have a mass mailing php module which sends out 200 mails per execution.
        >
        > In each iteration, I'm sending mail -> updating tables in db ->
        > sleeping for 6 sec -> continue;
        >
        > When i tried to run this script on live server, i got this error:
        >
        > 408 Request Time-out
        > This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server.
        > If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this
        > web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'.
        >
        > Can anyone help me figure out where could be the issue?

        Hi Ravi,

        Refer to
        http://www.php.net/manual/en/info.configuration.php#ini.max-execution-time

        The server administer might have set this to a low value. Additionally,
        the timeout might also be set in the web server as described in the manual.

        Therefore, you have to contact your server administrator to increase
        this time.

        --
        With warm regards,
        Sudheer. S

      • Abdul Munim Kazia
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2010
          You have to increase the Request timeout in your webserver. This may not be
          possible if you are working on a shared host.
          If you are using Apache, you have to add a TimeOut directive to either your
          server or your virtualhost configuration
          http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#timeout

          --
          Abdul Munim Kazia
          mail@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2010

            Contact hosting provider to increase the maximum execution time.

            Roshith K

          • Abdul Munim Kazia
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2010
              Guys.
              This is not about php's maximum script execution time. This is about the
              server's request timeout limit. The first limits the amount of time php can
              take in executing a script, the second limits the amount of time the server
              waits for breaking a request if the response has not completed. Do not
              confuse between the two.
              Even if php's execution time is high enough and the server request timeout
              is low, the execution will still fail.

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 24, 2010
                Thank you everyone for quick response :)
                I'll check with my hosting provider about this issue.

                Regards,
                Ravi