Email using PHP

  • dr_freako
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2010
      Hi All,
      I have a website hosted at say, abc.com and I have database of registered users with their email id.
      Now I want to run a logic and get a subset of the users, and send them an email once a month. Something similar to reminder mail.
      As I see, this task is divided in three sub modules-
      1. A PHP script with a logic which will get me that subset of users

      2. A sendmail($email_id) kind of function which will do the work of sending mail to given address

      3. A way to schedule the execution of PHP script (of module#1) and sendmail function, so that email would be sent once in a month automatically

      I have module#1 ready but I am stuck with module #2 and #3.
      I am new to doing mail stuff using PHP, I want to know
      - what all things/settings I should be knowing to do send mail coding in PHP

      - I want to send all those reminder emails to users with admin@... as sender , how to achieve that?

      - Any pointers to start off with this would be of great help

      When I search on how to go about implementing module#3, I found that CRON is preferred way to implement scheduling. But I enquired to my hosting provider and got to know that It is not accessible to me. So please let me know any other alternate ways to implement the scheduling of a PHP script.

      Thanks,
      Ravi
    • Hari KT
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2010
        Hi ,

        You can use the swiftmailer class for sending mails .

        The other one is your server may not support to send a huge number of mails a day ( I think godaddy limits to 250 ) , so in your query you may want to limit it. Here you want to set a flag to the mails that are going to be send . Swiftmailer tells the mails that are failed etc .

        For the automatic job , you can set it with cron. Cron is simple not much . Just google these .... you will defnitely get a bunch of ideas . If you have some amount to pay go for something like mailchimp etc :) . So your server will never be black listed if its going to spam :) .

        Hari K T

        http://harikt.com/

        ________________________________
[...]

      • Chaitanya Yanamadala
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2010
          Hai

          try using the phpmailer for this purpose.. this will do the all required
          thing..
          I want to send all those reminder emails to users with admin@abc(dot)com as
          sender , how to achieve that?--for this u can do that not any issue depends
          on how you are sending the mail.if u are using an smtp server for this
          purpose then u can do it with easy if the smtp server doesnot require any
          autentication. if u are trying to use the send mail option then u test it
          out by urself,

          for the cron issue u can do one more thing.try this
          www(dot)phpjobscheduler(dot)co(dot)uk
          note that i didnt tested it though..

          i have a script that would do the same but there are some changes for your
          requirements. if u require one just contact me back.i ll be happy doing
          that..

          Regards
          Chaitanya

          On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM, dr_freako <ravindra.harige@...>wrote:

          > Hi All,
          > I have a website hosted at say, abc.com and I have database of registered
          > users with their email id.
          > Now I want to run a logic and get a subset of the users, and send them an
          > email once a month. Something similar to reminder mail.
          > As I see, this task is divided in three sub modules-
          > 1. A PHP script with a logic which will get me that subset of users
          >
          > 2. A sendmail($email_id) kind of function which will do the work of sending
          > mail to given address
          >
          > 3. A way to schedule the execution of PHP script (of module#1) and sendmail
          > function, so that email would be sent once in a month automatically
          >
          > I have module#1 ready but I am stuck with module #2 and #3.
          > I am new to doing mail stuff using PHP, I want to know
          > - what all things/settings I should be knowing to do send mail coding in
          > PHP
          >
          > - I want to send all those reminder emails to users with admin@...<admin%40abc.com>as sender , how to achieve that?
          >
          > - Any pointers to start off with this would be of great help
          >
          > When I search on how to go about implementing module#3, I found that CRON
          > is preferred way to implement scheduling. But I enquired to my hosting
          > provider and got to know that It is not accessible to me. So please let me
          > know any other alternate ways to implement the scheduling of a PHP script.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ravi

        • vijaya lakshmi
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2010
            http://lehardy.mirrors.phpclasses.org/

            search in this site,

            its a good site for php classes.

            wish you good luck

            On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Chaitanya Yanamadala <
            dr.virus.india@...> wrote:

            > Hai
            >
            > try using the phpmailer for this purpose.. this will do the all required
            > thing..
            > I want to send all those reminder emails to users with admin@abc(dot)com
            > as
            > sender , how to achieve that?--for this u can do that not any issue depends
            > on how you are sending the mail.if u are using an smtp server for this
            > purpose then u can do it with easy if the smtp server doesnot require any
            > autentication. if u are trying to use the send mail option then u test it
            > out by urself,
            >
            > for the cron issue u can do one more thing.try this
            > www(dot)phpjobscheduler(dot)co(dot)uk
            > note that i didnt tested it though..
            >
            > i have a script that would do the same but there are some changes for your
            > requirements. if u require one just contact me back.i ll be happy doing
            > that..
            >
            > Regards
            > Chaitanya
            >
            > On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM, dr_freako <ravindra.harige@...<ravindra.harige%40gmail.com>
            > >wrote:
            >

            > > Hi All,
            > > I have a website hosted at say, abc.com and I have database of
            > registered
            > > users with their email id.
            > > Now I want to run a logic and get a subset of the users, and send them an
            > > email once a month. Something similar to reminder mail.
            > > As I see, this task is divided in three sub modules-
            > > 1. A PHP script with a logic which will get me that subset of users
            > >
            > > 2. A sendmail($email_id) kind of function which will do the work of
            > sending
            > > mail to given address
            > >
            > > 3. A way to schedule the execution of PHP script (of module#1) and
            > sendmail
            > > function, so that email would be sent once in a month automatically
            > >
            > > I have module#1 ready but I am stuck with module #2 and #3.
            > > I am new to doing mail stuff using PHP, I want to know
            > > - what all things/settings I should be knowing to do send mail coding in
            > > PHP
            > >
            > > - I want to send all those reminder emails to users with admin@...<admin%40abc.com>
            > <admin%40abc.com>as sender , how to achieve that?
            >

            > > - Any pointers to start off with this would be of great help
            > >
            > > When I search on how to go about implementing module#3, I found that CRON
            > > is preferred way to implement scheduling. But I enquired to my hosting
            > > provider and got to know that It is not accessible to me. So please let
            > me
            > > know any other alternate ways to implement the scheduling of a PHP
            > script.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Ravi

            Thanks & Regards