mail function not working

  • manishyaar007
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
      hi guys,
      i m very new in php . i want to send a mail using mail() function.
      and using Free smtp server, but unable to send mail...

      i have very simple code

      <?php

      mail("xyz@...","hello xyz","how r u this is a test msg");

      ?>

      when i execute this the error like this is showing in browser

      Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in E:\xampp\htdocs\test\phpdesigner_output_tmp.php on line 3

      its horrible .... pls help me.
    • munim2020
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
        :)
        Like the error says, either the SMTP server is not working, or the settings
        are not correct.
        Look up the php.net documentation for mail to set the smtp server settings.
        Learn to read the errors and debug them!

        --
        Abdul Munim Kazia
        mail@...

      • Chaitanya Yanamadala
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
          u have to change these values in the php.ini file
          which will be available in the E:\xampp\php

          [mail function]
          ; For Win32 only.
          ; http://php.net/smtp
          SMTP = localhost

          ; http://php.net/smtp-port
          smtp_port = 25

          instead of localhost modify it to the ip address of the smtp server..

          this would send the mails

          Chaitanya

          "A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he stops
          trying..."

          "I would love to change the world, but I can't get the source code."

          On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, manishyaar007 <manishyaar007@...>wrote:

          > hi guys,
          > i m very new in php . i want to send a mail using mail() function.
          > and using Free smtp server, but unable to send mail...
          >
          > i have very simple code
          >
          > <?php
          >
          > mail("xyz@... <xyz%40gmail.com>","hello xyz","how r u this is a test
          > msg");
          >
          > ?>
          >
          > when i execute this the error like this is showing in browser
          >
          > Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at
          > "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini
          > or use ini_set() in E:\xampp\htdocs\test\phpdesigner_output_tmp.php on line
          > 3
          >
          > its horrible .... pls help me.

        • munim2020
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
            Depends on if Manish is even using php on xampp :-)

            On 3 March 2010 18:39, Chaitanya Yanamadala <dr.virus.india@...>wrote:

            > u have to change these values in the php.ini file
            > which will be available in the E:\xampp\php
            >
            > [mail function]
            > ; For Win32 only.
            > ; http://php.net/smtp
            > SMTP = localhost
            >
            > ; http://php.net/smtp-port
            > smtp_port = 25
            >
            > instead of localhost modify it to the ip address of the smtp server..
            >
            > this would send the mails
            >
            > Chaitanya
            >
            > "A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he
            > stops
            > trying..."
            >
            > "I would love to change the world, but I can't get the source code."
            >
            > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, manishyaar007 <manishyaar007@...<manishyaar007%40yahoo.co.in>
            > >wrote:
            >

            > > hi guys,
            > > i m very new in php . i want to send a mail using mail() function.
            > > and using Free smtp server, but unable to send mail...
            > >
            > > i have very simple code
            > >
            > > <?php
            > >
            > > mail("xyz@... <xyz%40gmail.com> <xyz%40gmail.com>","hello
            > xyz","how r u this is a test
            >
            > > msg");
            > >
            > > ?>
            > >
            > > when i execute this the error like this is showing in browser
            > >
            > > Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at
            > > "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in
            > php.ini
            > > or use ini_set() in E:\xampp\htdocs\test\phpdesigner_output_tmp.php on
            > line
            > > 3
            > >
            > > its horrible .... pls help me.

            Abdul Munim Kazia
            mail@...

          • Chaitanya Yanamadala
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
              *Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at
              > > "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in
              > php.ini
              > > or use ini_set() in E:\xampp\htdocs\test\*
              *phpdesigner_output_tmp.php on
              > line
              *

              based on this i told that he is using the XAMPP.....
              [?]

              On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM, munim2020 <munim2020@...> wrote:

              > Depends on if Manish is even using php on xampp :-)
              >
              > On 3 March 2010 18:39, Chaitanya Yanamadala <dr.virus.india@...<dr.virus.india%40gmail.com>
              > >wrote:
              >

              > > u have to change these values in the php.ini file
              > > which will be available in the E:\xampp\php
              > >
              > > [mail function]
              > > ; For Win32 only.
              > > ; http://php.net/smtp
              > > SMTP = localhost
              > >
              > > ; http://php.net/smtp-port
              > > smtp_port = 25
              > >
              > > instead of localhost modify it to the ip address of the smtp server..
              > >
              > > this would send the mails
              > >
              > > Chaitanya
              > >
              > > "A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he
              > > stops
              > > trying..."
              > >
              > > "I would love to change the world, but I can't get the source code."
              > >
              > > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, manishyaar007 <manishyaar007@...<manishyaar007%40yahoo.co.in>
              > <manishyaar007%40yahoo.co.in>
              >
              > > >wrote:
              > >

              > > > hi guys,
              > > > i m very new in php . i want to send a mail using mail() function.
              > > > and using Free smtp server, but unable to send mail...
              > > >
              > > > i have very simple code
              > > >
              > > > <?php
              > > >
              > > > mail("xyz@... <xyz%40gmail.com> <xyz%40gmail.com> <xyz%
              > 40gmail.com>","hello
              >
              > > xyz","how r u this is a test
              > >
              > > > msg");
              > > >
              > > > ?>
              > > >
              > > > when i execute this the error like this is showing in browser
              > > >
              > > > Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at
              > > > "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in
              > > php.ini
              > > > or use ini_set() in E:\xampp\htdocs\test\phpdesigner_output_tmp.php on
              > > line
              > > > 3
              > > >
              > > > its horrible .... pls help me.

              > Abdul Munim Kazia
              > mail@... <mail%40munimkazia.com>

            • vijaya lakshmi
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                Host it on the online server,only then you wil be able to send mail,the
                error is due to the abscence of the smtp server in localhost.
                Even I faced the same prob,made changes to smtp port but things didnt
                work,host it on to the main server and hopefully you wil not get any errors.

                Thanks & Regards
                Vijayalakshmi

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                  You could configure start SMTP on xampp.. i think MercuryMail supports it.

                  On 4 March 2010 11:19, vijaya lakshmi <vijayalakshmi6jun@...> wrote:

                  > Host it on the online server,only then you wil be able to send mail,the
                  > error is due to the abscence of the smtp server in localhost.
                  > Even I faced the same prob,made changes to smtp port but things didnt
                  > work,host it on to the main server and hopefully you wil not get any
                  > errors.
                  >

                  > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM, munim2020 <munim2020@...<munim2020%40gmail.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > Depends on if Manish is even using php on xampp :-)
                  > >
                  > > On 3 March 2010 18:39, Chaitanya Yanamadala <dr.virus.india@...<dr.virus.india%40gmail.com>
                  > <dr.virus.india%40gmail.com>
                  >
                  > > >wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > u have to change these values in the php.ini file
                  > > > which will be available in the E:\xampp\php
                  > > >
                  > > > [mail function]
                  > > > ; For Win32 only.
                  > > > ; http://php.net/smtp
                  > > > SMTP = localhost
                  > > >
                  > > > ; http://php.net/smtp-port
                  > > > smtp_port = 25
                  > > >
                  > > > instead of localhost modify it to the ip address of the smtp server..
                  > > >
                  > > > this would send the mails
                  > > >
                  > > > Chaitanya
                  > > >
                  > > > "A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he
                  > > > stops
                  > > > trying..."
                  > > >
                  > > > "I would love to change the world, but I can't get the source code."
                  > > >
                  > > > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, manishyaar007 <
                  > manishyaar007@... <manishyaar007%40yahoo.co.in><manishyaar007%
                  > 40yahoo.co.in>
                  > > <manishyaar007%40yahoo.co.in>

                  > 40gmail.com> <xyz%
                  >
                  > > 40gmail.com>","hello
                  > >
                  > > > xyz","how r u this is a test

                  > > > php.ini
                  > on
                  > > > line

                  > > --
                  > > Abdul Munim Kazia
                  > > mail@... <mail%40munimkazia.com> <mail%40munimkazia.com>

                  > Thanks & Regards
                  > Vijayalakshmi

                  Abdul Munim Kazia
                  mail@...

                • kumar gaurav singh Sonu
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Hey buddy

                    Don't be in tension...man just follow d following steps....

                    First leave the php.ini file as it is...for the sake of mail function...
                    [mail function]
                    ; For Win32 only.
                    SMTP = localhost
                    smtp_port = 25

                    Now I think , the best way to setup your own smtp server is to use the services of "phpgmailer"...
                    It provides all the features of mailing.......

                    I am attaching with the mail , phpgmailer package/.........you just include the class....class.phpgmailer.php in your program , and can use the services..
                    With this I'm also attaching a sample file...that uses this............."mail_gmail.php"...

                    Enjoy man..............

                    ________________________________
                    i m very new in php . i want to send a mail using mail() function.
                    and using Free smtp server, but unable to send mail...

                    i have very simple code

                    <?php

                    mail("xyz@...","hello xyz","how r u this is a test msg");

                    ?>

                    when i execute this the error like this is showing in browser

                    Warning: mail() [function.mail] : Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in E:\xampp\htdocs\ test\phpdesigner _output_tmp. php on line 3

                    its horrible .... pls help me.

                    ----------

                    <?php
                    public class MovieMail
                    {
                    public function sendMail($str,$sub,$body)
                    {
                    include(".\phpgmailer\class.phpgmailer.php");
                    $mail = new PHPGMailer();
                    $mail->Username = 'yourmail@...';
                    $mail->Password = 'password';
                    $mail->From = 'frommail@...';
                    $mail->FromName = 'Kumar Gaurav Singh';
                    $mail->Subject = $sub;
                    //Message to whome..
                    $mail->AddAddress($str);

                    $mail->Body = $body;
                    //$mail->AddCC('kr_gaurav651@...');
                    $mail->AddAttachment('C:\Users\gaurav\Desktop\shriya3h.jpg');
                    //$mail->AddStringAttachment('file','C:\Users\gaurav\Desktop\shashi.java');
                    //$mail->AddEmbeddedImage('20080818112718_jpg_a1aad5fd81840543bfc334d8d7cada14.jpg');
                    if($mail->Send())
                    echo'Check your mail';
                    }

                    }
                    ?>

                  • Chaitanya Yanamadala
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2010
                      where are the attachements..
                      how can u send a mail from the localhost server when the ports are blocked,
                      can you explain me more in detail..??

                      Chaitanya

                      "A man can get discouraged many times but he is not a failure until he stops
                      trying..."

                      "I would love to change the world, but I can't get the source code."

                      On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM, kumar gaurav singh Sonu <
                      kr_gaurav651@...> wrote:

                      > Hey buddy
                      >
                      > Don't be in tension...man just follow d following steps....
                      >
                      > First leave the php.ini file as it is...for the sake of mail function...
                      >
                      > [mail function]
                      > ; For Win32 only.
                      > SMTP = localhost
                      > smtp_port = 25
                      >
                      > Now I think , the best way to setup your own smtp server is to use the
                      > services of "phpgmailer"...
                      > It provides all the features of mailing.......
                      >
                      > I am attaching with the mail , phpgmailer package/.........you just include
                      > the class....class.phpgmailer.php in your program , and can use the
                      > services..
                      > With this I'm also attaching a sample file...that uses
                      > this............."mail_gmail.php"...
                      >
                      > Enjoy man..............
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Hari KT
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2010
                        Hi ,

                        Use swiftmailer .

                        The site swiftmailer.org has a wonderful docs . You can create some other mail accounts ( for eg gmail ) and send mails . Enjoy ;)

                        Hari K T

                        http://harikt.com/

                        ________________________________

                        kr_gaurav651@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                        > Hey buddy
                        >
                        > Don't be in tension...man just follow d following steps....
                        >
                        > First leave the php.ini file as it is...for the sake of mail function...
                        >
                        > [mail function]
                        > ; For Win32 only.
                        > SMTP = localhost
                        > smtp_port = 25
                        > ............ ......... ..
                        >
                        > Now I think , the best way to setup your own smtp server is to use the
                        > services of "phpgmailer" ...
                        > It provides all the features of mailing..... ..
                        >
                        > I am attaching with the mail , phpgmailer package/.... .....you just include
                        > the class....class. phpgmailer. php in your program , and can use the
                        > services..
                        > With this I'm also attaching a sample file...that uses
                        > this........ ....."mail_ gmail.php" ...
                        >
                        > Enjoy man......... .....
                        >
                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • manishyaar007
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 8, 2010
                          thank u guys for ur help, i got the solution of this problem,
                          still when i send the mail using third party smtp server some time its works fine but but some time my mails are being sent to spam by the gmail.

                          apart form this i want to track the ip address of the person who send the mail to me , i m using $_Server['REMOTE_ADDR'], but i am getting
                          ::1 like address on my mail. is thier any solution for this....

                          --- In bang-phpug@yahoogroups.com, Hari KT <kthari85@...> wrote:

                          > Hi ,
                          >
                          > Use swiftmailer .
                          >
                          > The site swiftmailer.org has a wonderful docs . You can create some other mail accounts ( for eg gmail ) and send mails . Enjoy ;)
                          >
                          > Hari K T
                          >
                          > http://harikt.com/

                        • Chaitanya Yanamadala
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 8, 2010
                            is this the code which ur are using up..

                            <?php
                            $ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
                            echo "$ip";
                            ?>

                            this should obivously get you the remote address of the server..

                            can u show me the code what u are using?