How to find aol ip address

  • aruncbhas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
      Is there any way to find aol ip address with PHP.

      Is this works?

      <?php
      $hostname = gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
      if (preg_match ("/aol/i", $hostname))
      {
      $isp = "aol";
      }
      else
      {
      $isp = "other";
      }
      ?>
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
        Yes, your code should detect AOL IP's properly. AOL anyways publishes
        their IP blocks. You can find the entire range of AOL ip Addresses at:
        http://webmaster.info.aol.com/proxyinfo.html

        You can test your code against those IP addresses as well to see if they work :)

        --------------
        Blog: http://blogs.vinuthomas.com
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/vinuthomas

        On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:16 AM, aruncbhas <aruncbhas@...> wrote:

        > Is there any way to find aol ip address with PHP.
        >
        > Is this works?
        >
        > <?php
        > $hostname = gethostbyaddr($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
        > if (preg_match ("/aol/i", $hostname))
        > {
        > $isp = "aol";
        > }
        > else
        > {
        > $isp = "other";
        > }
        > ?>

      • aruncbhas
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
          Thanks vinu for the ips, code working when i used the aol client ips,
          but its not working with AOL Proxy IP. Can you guide me how to block
          all proxies?

          syam

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
            Hi Syam,

            Unfortunately AOL's proxy addresses don't come up with a reverse
            lookup so it's not possible to detect that with the code you have.
            Check the following link :
            http://www.jroller.com/agileanswers/entry/joomla_1_0_x_patch

            The author of that article has a function called isAOLuser() which you
            can use along with the array $aolSubnetList in which he puts in all
            the addresses which are present in the AOL webmaster link.
            Just that array and the function should be able to solve your problem.