Re: [bang-phpug] Need help to develop Search Engine

  • Shiva Kumar Mallikarjun
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2008

      look into zend_search_lucene library.

      --- On Thu, 18/9/08, Prakash RR <iddrrp@...> wrote:
      From: Prakash RR <iddrrp@...>
      Subject: [bang-phpug] Need help to develop Search Engine
      To: yws-search-general@yahoogroups.com, bang-phpug@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, 18 September, 2008, 7:54 AM

      Dear Reader,

      My MD told me to develop a complete Search Engine for our client websites..

      I have to create this application in PHP or Perl or Python and database

      should be MySQL or Post gre SQL. I know PHP and MySQL...

      1. Data has to be stored in one single location (around 35 websites)

      2. Custom search in each client's website which has to get data from that

      single location

      3. Performance should be high

      4. No data redundancy

      5. Crawler should check websites for at least twice in a month to find

      new or updated content simultaneously in all websites (threading)

      6. Ranking the crawled page

      7. Provision to get results from more than 1 website at a time.

      I am good in PHP and MySQL.

      I developed a Crawler, URL Normalizer and HTML Parser in PHP. But all are

      not multi threading. Even i will found some logic to remove duplicate

      content, to find new updates happened in web pages.

      I need guidance on the following

      - Organizing the web pages (cache, if possible)

      - Ranking web pages

      - Multi threading all the operations

      - Performance checking

      - Do I need to learn Perl or Python to perform some operations

      Please guide me...

      Thanks in advance to all.

      Thanks and Regards,

      Prakash

    • Viswanath Somanchi
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2008
        Using PERL will be better idea to develop search engine. It is efficient tha
        PHP in writing crawlers and other stuff related to search engine.
        U can get lot of reusable code from CPAN.

        On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Prakash RR <iddrrp@...> wrote:

        > Dear Reader,
        > My MD told me to develop a complete Search Engine for our client websites.
        > I have to create this application in PHP or Perl or Python and database
        > should be MySQL or Post gre SQL. I know PHP and MySQL...
        >
        > 1. Data has to be stored in one single location (around 35 websites)
        > 2. Custom search in each client's website which has to get data from that
        > single location
        > 3. Performance should be high
        > 4. No data redundancy
        > 5. Crawler should check websites for at least twice in a month to find
        > new or updated content simultaneously in all websites (threading)
        > 6. Ranking the crawled page
        > 7. Provision to get results from more than 1 website at a time.
        >
        > I am good in PHP and MySQL.
        > I developed a Crawler, URL Normalizer and HTML Parser in PHP. But all are
        > not multi threading. Even i will found some logic to remove duplicate
        > content, to find new updates happened in web pages.
        >
        > I need guidance on the following
        >
        > - Organizing the web pages (cache, if possible)
        > - Ranking web pages
        > - Multi threading all the operations
        > - Performance checking
        > - Do I need to learn Perl or Python to perform some operations
        >
        > Please guide me...
        > Thanks in advance to all.
        >
        > Thanks and Regards,
        > Prakash

      • jegan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2008
          look at http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/about.html
          a apache open source search engine which u can integrate with ur
          application ...

          Jegan

          On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Prakash RR <iddrrp@...> wrote:

          > Dear Reader,
          > My MD told me to develop a complete Search Engine for our client websites.
          > I have to create this application in PHP or Perl or Python and database
          > should be MySQL or Post gre SQL. I know PHP and MySQL...
          >
          > 1. Data has to be stored in one single location (around 35 websites)
          > 2. Custom search in each client's website which has to get data from that
          > single location
          > 3. Performance should be high
          > 4. No data redundancy
          > 5. Crawler should check websites for at least twice in a month to find
          > new or updated content simultaneously in all websites (threading)
          > 6. Ranking the crawled page
          > 7. Provision to get results from more than 1 website at a time.
          >
          > I am good in PHP and MySQL.
          > I developed a Crawler, URL Normalizer and HTML Parser in PHP. But all are
          > not multi threading. Even i will found some logic to remove duplicate
          > content, to find new updates happened in web pages.
          >
          > I need guidance on the following
          >
          > - Organizing the web pages (cache, if possible)
          > - Ranking web pages
          > - Multi threading all the operations
          > - Performance checking
          > - Do I need to learn Perl or Python to perform some operations
          >
          > Please guide me...
          > Thanks in advance to all.
          >
          > Thanks and Regards,
          > Prakash

        • Prakash RR
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
            Dear Jegan, Thats built on Java. I need it in PHP or Perl or Python with
            MySQL or Postgres as back end...

            Prakash

            On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:27 AM, jegan <a.jegan@...> wrote:

            > look at http://lucene.apache.org/nutch/about.html
            > a apache open source search engine which u can integrate with ur
            > application ...
            >
            > Jegan
            >

            > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Prakash RR <iddrrp@...<iddrrp%40gmail.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Dear Reader,
            > > My MD told me to develop a complete Search Engine for our client
            > websites.
            > > I have to create this application in PHP or Perl or Python and database
            > > should be MySQL or Post gre SQL. I know PHP and MySQL...
            > >
            > > 1. Data has to be stored in one single location (around 35 websites)
            > > 2. Custom search in each client's website which has to get data from that
            > > single location
            > > 3. Performance should be high
            > > 4. No data redundancy
            > > 5. Crawler should check websites for at least twice in a month to find
            > > new or updated content simultaneously in all websites (threading)
            > > 6. Ranking the crawled page
            > > 7. Provision to get results from more than 1 website at a time.
            > >
            > > I am good in PHP and MySQL.
            > > I developed a Crawler, URL Normalizer and HTML Parser in PHP. But all are
            > > not multi threading. Even i will found some logic to remove duplicate
            > > content, to find new updates happened in web pages.
            > >
            > > I need guidance on the following
            > >
            > > - Organizing the web pages (cache, if possible)
            > > - Ranking web pages
            > > - Multi threading all the operations
            > > - Performance checking
            > > - Do I need to learn Perl or Python to perform some operations
            > >
            > > Please guide me...
            > > Thanks in advance to all.
            > >
            > > Thanks and Regards,
            > > Prakash

          • jegan
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
              HI,
              I did a proj like this in where the java part nutch web crawler run
              background as a cron job regualrly and update database .And php mysql will
              get the data from it. Just do some research on this . try 2 use nutch -
              famous open source web search engine .Also think other possiblities.

              Jegan a

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
                How much data are you looking at searching? If the data is large, PHP
                and a database backend may not be the right tool for the job. As
                Jegan mentioned you could look at one of Apache's Lucene variants to
                do the search for you. Here's an article from IBM showing you how to
                do this using PHP and Apache Solr.
                http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-php-apachesolr/index.html