warning: mkdir() failed (Permission denied)

  • ashok kumar
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2006

      Iam having PHP working on Apache in Linux. From PHP Iam trying to create a directory using mkdir("/etc/owndir"); but iam getting the error warning: mkdir() failed (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/dircheck.php on line 4.

      please do help me in creating a directory.

      Regards
      Ashok.V

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
        Ashok,

        Apache won't have permissions to create directories under /etc. If you
        have to create a directory you could create it under directory which
        has write permissions for Apache to create it.

        You'll have to chmod the directory to 755. I wouldn't recommend that
        you do that to /etc though. :)

        --- In bang-phpug@yahoogroups.com, ashok kumar <vak108@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Iam having PHP working on Apache in Linux. From PHP Iam trying to
        create a directory using mkdir("/etc/owndir"); but iam getting the
        error warning: mkdir() failed (Permission
        denied) in /var/www/html/dircheck.php on line 4.

        > please do help me in creating a directory.
        >
        > Regards
        > Ashok.V

      • raja mohamed
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2006
          Hi ashok,

          Fisrt u should give the write permission for the
          parent directory.

          For Ex,
          A is a parent folder
          B is a folder (Child of A)
          For this structure u must give write permission to A
          then u can create one folder with inside A .This is
          error may occur if using linux only.

          Plz do like this i am sure ur problem will clear

          By
          Raja Mohamed.S

          --- ashok kumar <vak108@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Iam having PHP working on Apache in Linux. From
          > PHP Iam trying to create a directory using
          > mkdir("/etc/owndir"); but iam getting the error
          > warning: mkdir() failed
          > (Permission denied) in /var/www/html/dircheck.php
          > on line 4.
          >
          > please do help me in creating a directory.
          >
          > Regards
          > Ashok.V

          > removed]

          With Regards,