Re: [Bands United] Learning how to play mellophone...please help

  • ridr05
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
      I play flute as well, and have been taking private lessons for 6 years, so needless to say I'm quite accustomed to playing flute, but I recently became interested in 'swapping' as well. I originally tryed tuba-for fun, but found it extremely difficult. The larger the instrument, the more air it takes to play, so beware of that. Switching to tuba was a big jump in air, and I often found myself becoming lightheaded after only 5 minutes of playing. Anyway, what I would reccomend is that you get either somebody who plays, or your BD to help you with it after school. Most of the time they'll me more than happy to help (and it's cheaper than lessons). Personally I would start by just practicing with the mouthpiece, and trying to make noise. What you want to do is form an ebrochure (sp?) much like that of the one you would use for flute, but close your lips all the way. You want to achieve a buzzing, by blowing air through your lips. Start with that, then using the mouthpiece, then finally move to the instrument itself when the noise is satisfactory. As far as notes go, buy a beginner book at a local music store, and work on learning the fingerings in the front/back of it. Once you have the notes down, work on tone quality, scales, and other progressive pieces out of the book. Remember not to ged frusterated, which is the mistake I made. You have to remember that it's going to be like elementary school all over again, and you have to start building fundamentals from the ground up. It will take a big time requirement on your part as far as practicing goes, trust me (I'm learning 2 instruments in addition to playing flute, and dealing with my sophomore year in high school) and I plan on learning another soon. Not to make it sound painful-exactly the opposite actually, learning another instrument helps you build confidence, strengthens your weaknesses in other areas of playing, and gives you a lot of new possibilities. In case you couldn't tell, I plan on going to college for music in a few years, but I'm rambling now. Anyway, hope this helps at least one of you. Ask people in band as well, I'm sure they'd be able to help you.

      John
      --- In bandsunited@yahoogroups.com, Courtney Douglas <darkdragonkitsune@y...> wrote:

      > Hey, I practiced mellophone for 2 months over the
      > summer for marching band. Unfortutley that didn't work
      > out. But anyway... just a tip or 2 i'm no expert trust
      > me.... Make sure your mouth isn't all over the place.
      > Mine was first day of marching band and they told me
      > to go back to clarinet... Fingerings are same as
      > trumpet. Scale fingerings are easy...
      > Hey I might have another chance. My drill instructor
      > is setting something up. He said he wants brass.
      > anyway I might have a chance on mellophone again... So
      > if anybody has any tips.. please e-amil me. gtg
      > have fun...
      > Azhure
      >
      > --- lauriniebobeanie lauriniebobeanie@y...
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Hey everyone! I'm new here so I just wanted to start
      > > by saying hi!
      > >
      > > Ok so here's the deal. I want to join the marching
      > > band at the
      > > university of Wisconsin-Madison. I play flute but
      > > the badger band
      > > doesn't march flutes. I've always wanted to learn
      > > how to play french
      > > horn so I figured that this would be the perfect
      > > opportunity for me to
      > > learn a new instrument so I can be in the band.
      > >
      > > Can any of you give me any tips on how to learn
      > > mellophone? Since I
      > > play flute I have absolutely no idea how to play a
      > > brass instrument.
      > > Please help!!! Tryouts aren't until next august but
      > > I want to get a
      > > head start so any tips are appreciated!
      > >

      > __________________________________
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Heidi Spiegel
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
        Hey I am in colorguard but I also play the clarinet. I had always wished to play the tuba. At our school, tuba players are the coolest and slightly insane of the band players! Sorry I don't know how to play the mellophone so sorry.

        ridr05 <wigman@...> wrote:
> [...]

        > have fun...
        > Azhure
        >
        > --- lauriniebobeanie lauriniebobeanie@y...
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Hey everyone! I'm new here so I just wanted to start
        > > by saying hi!
        > >
        > > Ok so here's the deal. I want to join the marching
        > > band at the
        > > university of Wisconsin-Madison. I play flute but
        > > the badger band
        > > doesn't march flutes. I've always wanted to learn
        > > how to play french
        > > horn so I figured that this would be the perfect
        > > opportunity for me to
        > > learn a new instrument so I can be in the band.
        > >
        > > Can any of you give me any tips on how to learn
        > > mellophone? Since I
        > > play flute I have absolutely no idea how to play a
        > > brass instrument.
        > > Please help!!! Tryouts aren't until next august but

        School band fund raising High school band fund raising High school band School band