What's new?

  • starz0114
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2004
      Wow, last month was the all time low for this group. Only 6 posts..
      and most of them weren't even real posts. Anyway, what is going on in
      the band world these days? Getting ready for competitions? Traveling
      time? Anything?

      March 26th is going to be the 2nd annual Alumni Pops Concert at the
      high school. I don't know if I'm going to do it yet. If I knew how
      many people I knew were going back to play, it would be better. I
      don't want to go back and not know anyone, since the only people that
      I'm friends with in the band are the seniors right now, and it's only
      a few of them. But rehearsals are that day of the concert in the
      afternoon. The music department is traveling to Hershey Park I think
      in May for their annual competition trip.

      So let's try to break this cycle of not posting. It's only March, and
      2004 is off to a bad start lol.
    • Kasia Bryant
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2004
        Well the band @ T.C. Williams is going to Myrtle Beach next week. Tomorrow night is our annual pyramid concert where each band in the city that is going to district festival competition at the end of this week has a dry run of their music. It's going to take forever. It starts at seven, 7 band are playing and they are going to take about 20 mintues each. I hope I don't fall asleep.

      • marchinram2005
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
          We aren't doing a whole lot this year. We just did a concert comp
          last saturday (symphonic scored 2, 2, 2, and 1 in sightreading, Wind
          ensemble scored 1,1,2 and 1 in sightreading). We aren't going to
          start anything again such as marching practice until May because our
          band director's second son is going to be born within the next month.

          We don't get to go on a band trip this year because we only go every
          other year and we went to disneyland last year and nextyear we're
          supposed to go to hawaii. and i'm not going to go because $1000 is a
          little much for me to fundraise. Well guys lets go for 7! posts this
          month! j/k lets try around 700? ok? ttyl
        • starz0114
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 11, 2004
            Now that's the spirit I'm looking for lol. So I think I've decided to do the Alumni
            Pops Concert. 3 of my friends who are a year younger that me are doing it...
            it's strange how I'm better friends with the younger crowd, 2 of them go to the
            same university as I do, so I also hang around with them after high school lol.
            I'm sure other people will show up for the concert, it's been broadcasted on
            my city's education cable channel that's run from the TV studio at the high
            school. Last year I did the concert and it was fun. (That was the first time an
            alumni pops concert was put on... because it's the new director's idea... and
            he took over the year I graduated). A lot of people showed up, I think the
            oldest graduate was from the 1980s... her daughter is currently in the
            orchestra. Faculty can play too, but it's just the music teachers from the high
            school, or the school system... mostly just going no farther than the middle
            school music teachers.

            I have spring break next week...whoo-hoo! I'm not doing anything though. I
            have homework to do... a progress report presentation due the Tuesday after
            vacation... it was supposed to be today, but my teacher pushed all of the
            assignments back. And this progress report is part of a big final report due in
            May... Wish me luck on those lol....

            I'm not sure what those scores mean.. but congratulations anyway!
          • marchinram2005
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 11, 2004
              That sounds like a lot of fun. if my school starts those after i
              graduate i would totally go. I hope you have fun during your spring
              break mines not until April 12 because public schools only pretend
              they don't do anything for holidays. Good luck with the progress
              report and assignments!

              as for the scores in the concert competitions its a scale of 1 to 5 1
              is superior 2 is excellent 3 i think is average i could be wrong and
              i dont remember what 4 or 5 are but basically scores you never want
              to see.

              and more people need to post I know there's a lot of people in this
              group...groups like this seem to shut down after marching season
            • starz0114
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 27, 2004
                Last night was the Alumni Pops Concert with the HS (68 in orchestra &
                48 in concert band), 34 alumni, 10+ faculty & 53 8th graders from the
                4 middle schools. That's about over 140 people on stage at the same
                time during some parts of the concert. It was no doubt a little
                squishy on stage, and if the risers were set up, people would be
                falling off of them lol.

                On Monday the 22nd, I was notified by some friends who graduated in
                my year, that the old jazz director (he stopped being the director
                after I graduated) was looking for me because he wanted to do
                an "alumni-only" jazz band at the concert (the concert was only
                orginally containing string, full orchestra & concert band). Now
                another surprise of the alumni jazz was that the old band director
                (also stopped being director after I graduated) was going to be
                playing drums (since the drummer who had played throughout the years
                with me goes to school in D.C., he couldn't come back). But it was
                still awesome having the old band director back because he's a great
                drummer. Rehearsals started at 5pm and everything was just hectic
                after that. Full orchestra rehearsed first, then it was string
                orchestra and jazz band. Last to rehearse was concert band. That
                didn't end until like 6:45 and the concert was to begin at 7pm. (8th
                graders rehearsed with the HS members the night before).

                Jazz Band started off the night, then it was string & full orchestra
                and concert band with the 8th graders & alumni filtering in and out
                during certain songs. The last song for each group included everyone.
                These are the songs that were played:

                -Jazz Band
                *Alright, Okay, You Win - Wyche & Watts/Jennings
                *Frankenstein - Edgar Winter/Cooper
                *The Opener - Carl Strommen

                -String Orchestra
                Allegro in D for Strings - A. Vivaldi/S. Frackenpohl
                Colorado Suite (Garden of the Gods Central City) - Francic Feese)
                Pachelbel Canon - J. Pachelbel/H. Alshin
                *Oklahoma - Richard Rogers
                *Duelin' Fiddles - Arthur Smith/Conley

                -Full Orchestra
                Prelude to Carmen - G. Bizet/C. Kriechaum
                Rondeau - J. Mouret/V. Leidig
                Farandole - G. Bizet/D. Stone
                *Ode to Joy (from the 9th Symphony) - L. van Beethoven
                *Engines of Resistance - Larry Clark

                -Concert Band
                Music from Grease - Jim Jacobs/Vinson
                Phantom of the Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber/Bocook
                *Pirates of the Caribbean - Klaus Badelt/Wasson
                *Through the Vulcan's Eye - Robert W. Smith
                *Our Director March - F.E. Bigelow/Swearingen

                *= with Alumni

                The band songs were nice, I wish I had more time to practice them,
                but everyone excluding the HS members were just sight reading. The
                mallet parts were kind of tough for me because I haven't touched
                those instruments since last year's alumni concert and it's been 2
                years that's I've really played. I'm a good sight reader so that
                helped, but I just couldn't get the speed to play all those 16th note
                runs, so I just played as much as I could lol. The last song for
                band, there was a guest conductor, a retired music director from my
                city. He also retired as conductor of the city's symphony orchestra,
                but it still on the committee board so he still has a pretty big role
                in it of who can join and not. Orchestra's music was easy as usual,
                so I had no problem playing those parts. I played them like I've been
                practicing it for months lol. For jazz, I knew all the songs, the 2nd
                song listed was the newest one that I did as a competition piece my
                senior year, and the other 2 songs I've been playing those since
                freshman year.

                So that was pretty much my whole Friday, the concert ended around
                9:15pm so it was a long day. I had been up since 9:15am to get ready
                for class at 11am. Got out of class at 1:40pm to have a 20 minute
                drive home. Grabbed some lunch with friends and drove around before
                we all headed to rehearsals. Oh yeah, and right when the concert
                started, the concert band director announced the jazz director and
                that's when I found out the the jazz director is retiring from
                teaching all together at the end of the school year. It's weird
                because he's not at the retiring age yet, close, but not that close.
                After I graduated, he only stopped directing the jazz band, but still
                taught piano lab & basic theatre at school. So I guess that's why he
                got his alumni students together to do one more concert.

                It was great talking with the old band director. He's had such a
                great impact on the alumni that's had him from 1997-2002. Most of the
                alumni who showed up were from my year and some showed up to watch
                the concert but didn't play. We all found out that both the concert &
                marching band during our senior year was ranked 11th in the whole
                country of high school bands. We had no idea, who knew, a band under
                100 could rank so high. We knew we were good, but not that good. We
                didn't believe him, so he showed us the list and indeed, we were
                11th. He didn't say anything to us back then because he didn't want
                us to have a big head (I guess it's a good thing he didn't!). But
                that just made our night, just too bad we had no idea when it was
                important 2 years ago because we were actually still in the band lol.

                Sorry it's so long, but not many people are posting. Thanks to the
                ones who have been recently posting :0)
              • baaaadtothebone
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                  Hey, how did Pirates go for band? We're attempting that right now. I
                  hope its worth the effort put into it though. Let me know

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 31, 2004
                    I don't know what Pirates supposed to sound like (if I heard a
                    professional recording I would know), but I thought it sounded pretty
                    good with only just a run through once with the alumni and faculty
                    there. Like I said, the percussion parts are good, especially mallet
                    percussion ;o). I'm pretty sure that a lot of my parts followed the
                    flute and possible clarinet parts as it usually does. From what I've
                    heard, the indoor percussion group is also doing Pirates, with props
                    and everything. Maybe they'll perform that at the spring concert
                    because other than that, I have no idea how that's going. The people
                    in the band do say that they like the song, so it can't be that bad.