Tuning : temperated or not ...

  • hendrik_lessmann
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12, 2014
      Dear group,

      I had my Bando tuned from a professional tuner,
      and he told me that a=442 Hz is  common,
      and he did it this way.

      What I wonder about is,
      if the tuning in these days is temperated,
      or not ? He didn´t tell me...

      A friend told me, that 80 years ago the original Bando-tuning was definitely NOT temperated.
      His not temperated Bando sounds flat in higher Octaves, he loves it and would never change.

      So:
      which tuning is used by your professionals?

      I googled and read about several names:

      Werckmeister 1-3, and lots more.

      Any Informatons ?

      regards, Hendrik
    • Jean Pierre Bianchi
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2014

        Hello pal,

        Bandoneons today are tuned 442hz w/ equal temperament.

        Best regards,
        JP

      • andreas_kemper_99
        Message 3 of 7 , May 13, 2014
          Am 12.05.2014 um 23:48 schrieb hless2000@... [bandoneon]:

          … A friend told me, that 80 years ago the original Bando-tuning was definitely NOT temperated.
          His not temperated Bando sounds flat in higher Octaves, he loves it and would never change.

          Hi Hendrik,

          my first bando  (really old AB 104 Zinc II/II rhinish) and is still got it´s original tuning of 438 hz. There is no difference between high and low octaves. but some chords "taste" differently, somehow. This may (but must not) point to temperate tuning.

          Regards
          Andreas
        • Dana Goulston
          Message 4 of 7 , May 13, 2014
            My 1927-1932 AA is tuned to 437. It's not fun to try to play with anyone unless they can adjust their tuning (guitar, violin, bass, etc) I want to get it tuned to 442-443 one day.​

            Dana
          • hendrik_lessmann
            Message 5 of 7 , May 18, 2014
              thank you, Jean Pierre.

              thats what I thought too.

              Could you tell me, if this is an information of an tuner /luthier, or where you did get it ?
              A friend of mine simply can´t believe the temperated tuning, and I need some background information...

              regards Hendrik
            • Jean Pierre Bianchi
              Message 6 of 7 , May 20, 2014
                Hello Hendrik,

                This information is widely known. A tempered tuning would only be useful to vieja guardia tangoes. Music with more complex chords would sound terrible with non equal temperament. Equal temperament is not perfect, but at least you have the the same distances aong notes in every key.
                I would dare to say Marcos Aguinaga, Damian Gutlein and Oscar Fischer use the euqal temperament in the bandoneóns they tune.

                Best Regards,
                JP
              • hendrik_lessmann
                Message 7 of 7 , May 27, 2014