7950RE: [bandoneon] Tanguero Workshop (Tango Music) at Indiana University

  • Earl
    Apr 17, 2014
      ....Well put and rightfully so....Earl O.

      To: bandoneon@yahoogroups.com
      From: figluca@...
      Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 05:59:22 -0700
      Subject: Re: [bandoneon] Tanguero Workshop (Tango Music) at Indiana University

      As a Uruguayan, I have to say it should be Tango  from the River Plate, or Río de la Plata, which would include all the Uruguayan musicians and Uruguayan pieces known all over the world and that generally are introduced as part of the so called "Argentine" culture. Tango is from our cultural area, Uruguayan, from Buenos Aires, from Rosario, extended to some parts of Argentina, but far away from other cultural regions of Argentina. I still don't understand why nowadays, with so much information, there are still people that are happy to include la Quiaca, Tucumán, Santiago del Estero, Chubut, and NOT Uruguay as part of that cultural area. Research has shown that Uruguay has a lot to do with the origins of tango, including the first documents witnessing the presence of the first bandoneon in the area. A numberless list of tangos that sound in every milonga are Uruguayans. So it still bothers me to hear "Argentine" tango everywhere I go!!!
      Señores, tango is from both shores of the river, like it or not!!! Even though webpages like "todotango" all the time belittle every Uruguay author, every Uruguayan piece or musician. It's something that can't be hidden. So, I ask you in the name of my country musicians, to include in the name "Argentine and Uruguayan tango" because it is not fair, and it is really easy to find information about what I am saying.
      I am not saying it is only ours. I'm saying it is from a cultural area that we share with a part of Argentina. And I am saying that tango doesn't have anything to do with the part of Argentina that plays Chamamè, and doesn't have anything to do with the part that plays bagualas, or zambas, neither has to do with the part that play chacarera.
      Finally, I looooove music. I looove Argentine music in general, but there are a multiplicity of rhythms that we have in common: milonga, gato, escondido, pericón, chamarrita, cifra, and tango. They are from our region and they are far away culturally speaking from other regions of Argentina.

      Good luck with your workshop, and best wishes

      Tanguero Workshop (Tango Music) at Indiana University

      for Bandoneon and Strings

      Indiana University’s Jacobs School of Music is offering a new and exciting Tanguero Summer Workshop. This exciting and intimate workshop (limited to 30 people) is focused on strings, bandoneón players and pre-formed groups.  Participants will be immersed in Argentine Tango music and culture through performance opportunities, lessons, concerts, movies, Orquesta Tipica and Bandoneon ensembles, an Introduction to Tango Dance for Musicians, and the unique opportunity to experience a recording session.  All levels of players are welcome.
      For more information and to register see:www.music.indiana.edu/precollege/adult/tanguero-camp/index.shtml

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic